Case III Recovery Qustions

SharpeXB

On 2/10/2021 at 2:32 AM, MrReynolds said:

On a side note, the thing that puts me off Case III is the 4 hour (exagerated 😛 ) push time.  Is there any way to change this.

I know the die hards will be spitting their coffee out reading this, but it would be great to be given the details and declare when ready.

I understand landing 14 planes in RL is complicated to plan, but half the time it's just me and my wingman.

Recently, I decided to commence early. about 2 miles out I was still a little high on the glideslope and that saved me. All of sudden another F-18 flew right below me, if I had been on glideslope I would have been hit.

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

On 2/13/2021 at 4:02 AM, bonesvf103 said:

I've been noticing lately that the ILS needles used to be pretty representative of the ball but now they aren't.  For instance, you can have the needles completely centered but the ball will be high.

If I continue to fly the needles I usually will not get a three wire.  But if I follwo the ball I will.  They used to coincide but lately they don't.

They shouldn't line up perfectly, they don't in real life, as they don't originate from the same place on the boat. ICLS is intended for long range lineup, in close you should be flying the ball, not the needles. 

53 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

They shouldn't line up perfectly, they don't in real life, as they don't originate from the same place on the boat. ICLS is intended for long range lineup, in close you should be flying the ball, not the needles. 

Makes sense

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

• 1 month later...

@Fisherman82 @Cruizzzzer

cruizzzer, Nice kneeboards. You seem to be a decent understanding. Certain things aren’t entirely correct, but it’s pretty close. 

Irl, case III departure, although not procedural you fly mill power on departure and pitch for 300kts. This gives you a pretty good climb rate and that’s exactly what you want as you want to get above the clouds ASAP. What people don’t see, to get, it the requirement to ARC. The arc is ONLY designed and required if IMC. This safeguard safe separation on departure. So if you can make your way through the gaps in the clouds or are above the clouds when reaching the 7dme.. then just forget the arc... you then fly outside 10 and proceed to where you need to go either overhead the ship to rendezvous or on-route to your mission area. If during the arc you get above the clouds, then bin the arc, and get on with your mission. 

Normally each squadron has a DRR (departure reference radial) for the cruise. 
sq a = BRC - 20

sq b = BRC + 20 

that kinda stuff. 

So what if your area is 180 degrees behind the ship? Well the DRR could be briefed to be different on that cycle. But again, you will definitely get above the clouds before you have flown 180 degrees arc. 

also remember as soon as you SAY KILO, departure will say cleared to switch. So if you say “passing 2.5 Kilo” departement says, cleared to switch. You then push strike and strike does not deal with case III procedural calls. So you don’t say arcing/established outbound or anything like that anymore. 

hope that clarified things a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, Norman 

hope you’re well, 

in answer to your questions, it doesn’t. I absolutely agree that night as see looks horrific at times. The arc is more a way to penetrate clouds then for anything else. You would have gained enough altitude by the time you reach 7dme to keep it all safe. 

hope that helps.