Reverb G2 rechargable batteries

bobaz

Saw a clip that said they use rechargeable batteries (Panasonic Enloop pro 2500 ma/h) in controllers, but manufacturer says not recommended. Any thoughts?

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

Sorry, do you have the HP sauce?

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Don't remember, but it was from a HP site. I think some manufactures don't like rechargeables for devices because of 1.2 v vs. 1.5 v of non-rechargeable.

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

Just found this, he explains about 1.6 v rechargeables I didn't know about. I guess this is the info I was looking for. Looks like the first clip was for 1.2 v.

Edited by bobaz

there are 1.5v rechargable out there and they are great I been using them on my Odyssey Plus for a few months.. I tested them with an Ohm meter and they are in fact 1.5v link below o the ones I bought..

thos other so called rechargables are in fact only 1.2v not reccomended for any device..

https://www.amazon.com/Deleepow-Rechargeable-Lithium-Batteries-Auto-Safety/dp/B07QV8GYV3/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=1.5v+rechargeable&qid=1601343536&sr=8-8

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Yeah, its way more complicated than that guys. Look at actual charge/discharge curves not the "nominal voltage". Most enloops start at slightly higher voltage, but rapidly drop to 1.2. I've literally never had an issues in any device. But who knows, maybe HP engineering dropped the ball on em.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1.5 V is confirmed by a HP employee here:

I've seen it confirmed at other places as well.

There are 1.5 V NiZn rechargeables out there, but they are described as unreliable, and they require that you buy (yet another) special charger for them.

One guy describes a mod to run the controllers at other voltages, using a cheap voltage converter, but that demands some soldering skills, and that you are willing to take your new controllers apart:

Another guy performed the mod here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/i8y3nb/hp_reverb_controllers_mod_the_battery_will_last/

All in all I am extremely disappointed that HP/Microsoft has not solved this problem for us in this day an age, with the big prevalence of 1.2 V NiMH batteries.

My Oculus touch controllers run perfectly with 1.2 V NiMH, and are able to show correct remaining charge as well.

I am very much tempted to perform the above mod, since I'm not afraid of neither tinkering, nor using a soldering iron. ;)

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Reverb G2 headset will begin shipping in “early November” to those who pre-ordered, and new pre-orders starting today will ship in December.

The company also says it’s made a few additional tweaks since first introducing the headset. For one, the lenses have been improved “to reduce the Fresnel ring reflections and improve clarity.” The menu button on the controllers has gotten a convex shape so that it’s easier to distinguish from the similarly sized ‘Windows’ button that’s on all WMR controllers. Included with the headset will be a full-size to mini DisplayPort adapter and a USB-C to USB-A adapter. Additionally the company says that after improving low persistence of the display, Reverb G2 will now require its power adapter to be plugged into a wall outlet.
https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-g2-release-date-headset-tweaks/

Latest Update on the HP Reverb G2 Virtual Reality Headset

September 24, 2020

A few updates we have made to the product since we first announced Reverb G2:

• We have updated the lenses to reduce the Fresnel ring reflections and improve clarity.
  • The menu button on the controllers is now domed so you can distinguish between the Windows and Menu buttons by touch.
  • In addition to the full size to mini display port adapter, a USB-C® to USB-A adapter will be included in every box.
  • Our Engineers found an opportunity to lower persistence without lowering brightness and this required higher power draw, so the HP Reverb G2 will require the adapter to be plugged into the wall.
  • https://press.hp.com/us/en/blogs/2020/hp-reverb-g2-vr-update.html

I think those tests were done with the old G2 lenses...

DCS.jpg

DCS2.jpg

DCS3.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.