Remove the Auto Start Cheat

SharpeXB

Its been discussed many times, but no, we will not remove the auto start.

Users can play how they choose to in DCS regarding the auto start. Its personal choice.

Thanks

thank you :thumbup:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Have you considered the possibility that you are in the minority and the mission designers are building the missions to suit the preferences of their primary audience?

If I’m in the minority then DCS is doomed...

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If I’m in the minority then DCS is doomed...

Doomed because people like hot starts more then cold starts????? Because people want to enjoy modules they purchased the way they want? DLC creators doom DCS by making Hot start campaigns??? But Raven 1 and the F-18 Aggressors campaign are both cold starts. YouTube the first mission, you can see it for yourself. ED is dooming DCS by making that Hornet Task for campaign hot start????? Yea, that dog just ain't gonna hunt bud.

Maybe you should be the change you seek and start pumping out some campaigns for those of us dooming DCS.

Doomed because people like hot starts more then cold starts????? Because people want to enjoy modules they purchased the way they want? DLC creators doom DCS by making Hot start campaigns??? But Raven 1 and the F-18 Aggressors campaign are both cold starts. YouTube the first mission, you can see it for yourself. ED is dooming DCS by making that Hornet Task for campaign hot start????? Yea, that dog just ain't gonna hunt bud.

Maybe you should be the change you seek and start pumping out some campaigns for those of us dooming DCS.

No, he means doomed if those who like realism are the minority. Isn't that what DCS is all about?

Thankfully, he's not in the minority.

Buzz

No, he means doomed if those who like realism are the minority. Isn't that what DCS is all about?

Right because the hallmark of DCS are these full systems fidelity aircraft. If nobody is using the features that they spend years to develop, what are they doing? They’d be spending time and money to work on features that players aren’t using.

Modern Air Combat can fill that niche with simplified modules for those customers.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thankfully, he's not in the minority.

Must have missed that poll. Anyways, I thought DCS was about having fun in a "relatively" realistic manner. Dumb dumb me I guess. Just wondering where the "realism" stops? F10 map? External Views? Random mechanical problems? Full blackout in excessive g situations?

Still leaves the statement......be the change you seek. Just saying.

Right because the hallmark of DCS are these full systems fidelity aircraft. If nobody is using the features that they spend years to develop, what are they doing? They’d be spending time and money to work on features that players aren’t using.

Modern Air Combat can fill that niche with simplified modules for those customers.

Question, do you run a full bit test every time you start the jet? Do you run through your warning light tests, bleed air tests? I've already stated my thoughts on cold vs hot, but man if you need to flip those 6-10 switches and wait for INS alignment to feel as though you are getting your moneys worth out of the module, by all means. I tend to see my return value in the TGP, A/G Radar, D/L systems, TWS Radar or RWS Radar.

At the end of the day man, you do you, but the Doom and Gloom aspect your throwing is pretty weak and unwarranted.

I use all types of mission start, cold, hot, runway... manual and autostart. Highly depends on my mood and time, as well as on the mission i'm crafting. When doing 2 player coop missions, time is mostly very short on a sunday evening and we go for hotstart. I get that some people prefer (manual) cold start for realism/immersion, absolutely understandable and i like that too. I remember the option to choose from ramp, taxi and runway on every mission start in that other Falcon uhm... Viper sim. Something similar would propably be the best solution for DCS. But DCS has way higher priorities than that, so i don't think this is something we will see in the nearby future.

The second best solution would be to use that powerful tool ED is delivering with DCS. It's called mission editor. How about crafting own missions, instead of telling other people how they should craft THEIR missions? If you don't like hot starts, don't download these missions or modify them on your own. Problem solved. No time for that? Hotstart in 10 missions instead of coldstart will save you 1 hour for the mission editor. Time is not an excuse. No effort? Then live with it.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Question, do you run a full bit test every time you start the jet? Do you run through your warning light tests, bleed air tests?

I do actually. Just because it’s cool.

I use all types of mission start, cold, hot, runway... manual and autostart. Highly depends on my mood and time, as well as on the mission i'm crafting. When doing 2 player coop missions, time is mostly very short on a sunday evening and we go for hotstart. I get that some people prefer (manual) cold start for realism/immersion, absolutely understandable and i like that too. I remember the option to choose from ramp, taxi and runway on every mission start in that other Falcon uhm... Viper sim. Something similar would propably be the best solution for DCS. But DCS has way higher priorities than that, so i don't think this is something we will see in the nearby future.

The second best solution would be to use that powerful tool ED is delivering with DCS. It's called mission editor. How about crafting own missions, instead of telling other people how they should craft THEIR missions? If you don't like hot starts, don't download these missions or modify them on your own. Problem solved. No time for that? Hotstart in 10 missions instead of coldstart will save you 1 hour for the mission editor. Time is not an excuse. No effort? Then live with it.

^This guy gets it. Bravo good sir

If you don't like hot starts, don't download these missions or modify them on your own. Problem solved. No time for that?

I’ll just say it again. I’m talking about DLC campaigns and EDs own campaign. These aren’t editable for the most part. And yes I’ll be sure not to buy any DLC in the future which doesn’t suit me.

I do actually. Just because it’s cool.

That is awesome, I don't cause well it's boring and pointless but more power to you if that's what you enjoy. See how that worked. You and I disagree on something, but I don't rake you over the coals and put you down saying you'll be the doom of DCS. I understand my likes and your likes are probably as far apart as a baseball stadium is to a football stadium (Raiders moved from Oakland so you can't use that). My opinion isn't any more valid than yours is, yet you want to change the way someone else enjoys DCS. You keep bringing up Auto-Start and fast forward, but like VpR81 said it isn't really about the time it takes. You are still making someone else play the way YOU want them too and I think that aspect of what you're suggesting is wrong.

You keep ignoring the suggestion of removing Cold vs Hot from the ME, this would be the best fit both ways. You're in the "Wishlist" section, why is that not equally a good enough suggestion that benefits all of us and allows all of us to respect the different approaches we have to DCS.

I’ll just say it again. I’m talking about DLC campaigns and EDs own campaign. These aren’t editable for the most part. And yes I’ll be sure not to buy any DLC in the future which doesn’t suit me.

Straight up, can you tell me exactly which campaigns you are referring too. I thought ED only had just that one little 5-7 mission. I know Serpents Head 2 is hot start. But the Aggressors and Raven One cold start the planes. It sounds like you've focused on the F-18 ones so that's why I'm asking.

Fair enough, i must have missed that part. Well, for DLC campaigns i'm all with you. These should be cold start. But i remember i.e. the BFM Aggressors campaing to be cold start...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Straight up, can you tell me exactly which campaigns you are referring too. I thought ED only had just that one little 5-7 mission. I know Serpents Head 2 is hot start. But the Aggressors and Raven One cold start the planes. It sounds like you've focused on the F-18 ones so that's why I'm asking.

The F-18 is the only one I’ve noticed this on and in three campaigns so far. But it’s strange WTF moment for me because literally every other campaign I’ve played for years had the cold start. I almost thought it might be an AI problem with them taxing on the carrier or something. Aggressors isn’t on the boat.

Edited by SharpeXB

Must have missed that poll. Anyways, I thought DCS was about having fun in a "relatively" realistic manner. Dumb dumb me I guess. Just wondering where the "realism" stops? F10 map? External Views? Random mechanical problems? Full blackout in excessive g situations?

Still leaves the statement......be the change you seek. Just saying.

They would change the name to DCG if you had your way.

Buzz

Especially with the WWII aircraft ED is spinning their wheels if nobody does the start up. The only reason you need a clickable cockpit in those planes is to start them up. They could model those FC3 style and save themselves a lot of money and development time.

We have 1 domestic and 3 payed DLC campaings in total for the Hornet right now. Are there more payed campaigns? I don't think so. And 2 out of 3 DLC campaigns do cold start and overall 50% of all official campaigns are cold start. Wich campaigns are you referring to when you say you have noticed it in three campaigns, while only 2 DLC/official campaigns are hot start in fact?

Especially with the WWII aircraft ED is spinning their wheels if nobody does the start up. The only reason you need a clickable cockpit in those planes is to start them up. They could model those FC3 style and save themselves a lot of money and development time.

:doh: really? like really really?? I don't think startup is the only reason to have a clickable cockpit. Even if you are a "HARDCORE" simmer and purchased the WinWing throttle and flight stick and 3 Thrustmaster MFDs, mapped everything to be identical, you still need a clickable cockpit to realistically operate the F-18.

Edited by TheGuardian

We have 1 domestic and 3 payed DLC campaings in total for the Hornet right now. Are there more payed campaigns? I don't think so. And 2 out of 3 DLC campaigns do cold start and overall 50% of all official campaigns are cold start. Wich campaigns are you referring to when you say you have noticed it in three campaigns, while only 2 DLC/official campaigns are hot start in fact?

Campaigns I’ve played so far:

The official one, Task Force Challenger

The Serpents Head 2 (DLC)

Operation Saber Thrust (free)

All those are hot starts

And I only found only two of the canned missions in DCS “Dawn Raiders”

“Training Day” with cold starts.

I don't think startup is the only reason to have a clickable cockpit.

In the WWII aircraft it is. Really once you’re airborne there’s hardly any of it you’ll use. Maybe you can turn your landing light on and off.

Edited by SharpeXB

In the WWII aircraft it is. Really once you’re airborne there’s hardly any of it you’ll use. Maybe you can turn your landing light on and off.

In the case of WWII P-47, realistic mixture control, boost lever, propeller pitch, Engine Cooling flaps, fuel tank selection, bomb/tanks jettison, weapon release, gunsight brightness.....etc etc... and that's just the P-47. Either way I don't think this is the path to take to prove your point.

In the case of WWII P-47, realistic mixture control, boost lever, propeller pitch, Engine Cooling flaps, fuel tank selection, bomb/tanks jettison, weapon release, gunsight brightness.....etc etc... and that's just the P-47. Either way I don't think this is the path to take to prove your point.

Most player have these commands assigned to a HOTAS. Maybe the bomb arming panel you’d click on. I think in the Spitfire the only thing I click on after startup is to drop the tank, if there is one.

Point being ED could greatly simplify these modules if nobody is using the features. Maybe most people don’t remember ED bailing out the Europe:1944 Kickstarter after it went belly up trying to make full systems WWII planes... where these all came from originally. Ckicky pits are expensive.

Use it or lose it people... :music_whistling: