Remove the Auto Start Cheat

SharpeXB

Everyone has their preference. The only difference is I never hear people say "cold starts should be removed from the game, I never use them, so no one else should".

I think that mission designers should have final say in how the mission is supposed to be played - even if they are sometimes wrong ;) . Which is what we have now.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

I feel you.

By using hot-start and runway/cat-start, by default the people who want to do cold-start are left in the dark.

DCS has the absolutely wonderful feature of having auto-start sequences for each aircraft.

If timing is critical, it's no different for a mission/campaign designer to instead 'time' this off the auto-start sequence with some leeway added.

If it's a quick/fun type mission I totally get the hotstart in any situation. But with a 'serious' mission or campaign, I don't see why hotstarts are used.

I buy Digital COMBAT Sim modules, not second job simulator modules.

The designers of the modules and campaigns are doing what satisfies most users. if you think most people sit and cold start the bird every time you are seriously mistaken, let alone realistic alignment times and so on.

As has been said already the option to edit the missions to cold start is available and very very simple. On the other hand just saying "oh well auto start is there so just make everyone start cold completely misses the point that Autostart is quite slow, and slower than doing it yourself in many cases. So really that's just saying it should all be done my way.

Writing off other players as less than with "Air Quake" and such references is the sort of lame, pathetic elitism that gives flight simming a bad name and drives many away. You press buttons the right way? Wow.

If you think that's a good thing you're wrong. As complexity and cost to produce ever increase with improving technology we can either try to increase the player base or watch it languish in increasingly outdated appearance. Its really that simple.

i9 10900X & 5700XT

VPC WarBRD, TM F18C, VPC Alpha, VPC T50CM2 Throttle, TM TFRP Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Ideally mission designers should give users the option to choose either cold start or hot start.
that would seem the perfect solution

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The designers of the modules and campaigns are doing what satisfies most users. if you think most people sit and cold start the bird every time you are seriously mistaken, let alone realistic alignment times and so on.

As has been said already the option to edit the missions to cold start is available and very very simple. On the other hand just saying "oh well auto start is there so just make everyone start cold completely misses the point that Autostart is quite slow, and slower than doing it yourself in many cases. So really that's just saying it should all be done my way.

Writing off other players as less than with "Air Quake" and such references is the sort of lame, pathetic elitism that gives flight simming a bad name and drives many away. You press buttons the right way? Wow.

If you think that's a good thing you're wrong. As complexity and cost to produce ever increase with improving technology we can either try to increase the player base or watch it languish in increasingly outdated appearance. Its really that simple.

Well said :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I have only read the first page and the OP, not the entire thread, but here's my 2 cents:

Realistic cold starts are part of the beauty of DCS. IMO it's a simulation game, so why not make the most out of it? Therefore, all my missions are cold start.

I appreciate that this is not everyone's cup of tea, though, so thankfully there's a start cheat. Just press the button, accelerate time, and in 30 seconds you can go. Even I use it when I'm testing my campaigns. If pressing 2 buttons and waiting 30 sec is too much for someone, then I'm sorry, they should probably try something else. Like instant action missions for example.

Making alternative hot/cold start versions of each mission is a real pain, increases maintenance workload by a lot. Adding different slots, then making all the triggers dependent on what slot the player took is an even more complicated solution. Just not worth the effort, when we have the above mentioned option. Not to mention the fact that things are meant to happen WHILE the player is starting up, so changing to hot/ runway start may mess up some other events too.

Anyhow, I'm glad we have all these options in DCS so everyone can do it the way THEY prefer.

that would seem the perfect solution

Agreed!

Giving the option is the absolute best solution for this.

This caters to the needs of people who just want to get in and fly and people who want the whole shabang.

I do understand that it would be more maintanance for the mission designer if the choice would be available.

Personally, if a campaign (or mission) has hotstart or runway/cat-start, I won't bother.

Unless it's a airquake-type/fun mission off course.

Edited by MTFDarkEagle

On the other hand just saying "oh well auto start is there so just make everyone start cold completely misses the point that Autostart is quite slow, and slower than doing it yourself in many cases.

I’ll just say again that you can use time acceleration with Auto Start and it’s done in a few seconds.

As complexity and cost to produce ever increase with improving technology we can either try to increase the player base or watch it languish in increasingly outdated appearance. Its really that simple.

Dumbing down the sim in order to appeal to the masses would be really unfortunate for DCS. That’s why MAC is coming for those who don’t want the full systems aircraft.

If somebody made a game based upon my job I’d probably find it boring too. Lucky for me my job is boring enough that nobody would make a game out of it. :smilewink:

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Ya, why are you so continually caustic?

People who like pressing the same sequence of buttons over and over again from rote memory and take pride in doing so must rock back and forth a lot, and lead very empty lives.

See? That's not nice or appropriate either.

Why do you continue to make snide comments about others and then hide behind "I don't care what others do. I'm just having fun."? Clearly you seem preoccupied with how others use DCS.

Live and let live.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Just remember, we are now in a world where good,bad, right, wrong no longer matter. It’s all about feelings and the OP and his supporters feel that their opinion feels so right that They ain’t bending. Really doesn’t matter if they are the majority or a band of 10.

What I’m saying is that this thread will drag on because nobody will make them feel differently and logic And individual choice no longer matter. They should be able to tell everyone the correct way to play! It’s that simple....

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Ya, why are you so continually caustic?

People who like pressing the same sequence of buttons over and over again from rote memory and take pride in doing so must rock back and forth a lot, and lead very empty lives.

See? That's not nice or appropriate either.

Why do you continue to make snide comments about others and then hide behind "I don't care what others do. I'm just having fun."? Clearly you seem preoccupied with how others use DCS.

Live and let live.

Pot calls kettle black.

Buzz

The problem is that a lot of us want to approach DCS as a simulation and not a “game”

That's your point and the other one is mine. DCS has both. Sometimes all i want is a little flight and that in a limited amount of my time. Then it's time for a hot start. And another time it's really fun to jump in the MB-339 or F-5 and do a cold start.

Got is? DCS is a Sim, a hardcore flight sim, but not everyone has a flightsuit at home. Be cool:smilewink:

Rainer

That's your point and the other one is mine. DCS has both. Sometimes all i want is a little flight and that in a limited amount of my time. Then it's time for a hot start. And another time it's really fun to jump in the MB-339 or F-5 and do a cold start.

Got is? DCS is a Sim, a hardcore flight sim, but not everyone has a flightsuit at home. Be cool:smilewink:

Rainer

No, the real problem is that some think its an actual aircraft, some a sim, some a game.

Big distinction between the three!( oh and some think people really care that they are virtual pilots???)

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Those who don't want to do cold starts because it's boring must really be bored flying the waypoints to the action in AP.

Flying back to base must be torture.

Well I use the auto-pilot features mainly so I can set my plane up with things I couldn't/didn't do on the ground i.e setting up weapons, Radio Freqs, Tanker/Carrier TACAN, ICLS and various other things. So it's not quite as boring for me, might be for others but not me. Then again maybe those "sim seeker nuts" should also be barred from external views, F10 maps and might as well remove unlimited fuel, Immortality, and unlimited weapons. I joke, I joke. Let everyone play the way they prefer.

Since there is no right or wrong on this topic and it is ultimately left to what we each enjoy, the best solution is add that feature outside of the ME and let the pilot chose before he sits in the pit.

Random thought here, it's odd that instead of asking for an external ME selection for hot/cold starts, OP wants everything cold start and those that don't like it can use Auto-Start and fast forward. So dictating how others should be made to fly. Interesting approach. Deuces :pilotfly:

Sometimes all i want is a little flight and that in a limited amount of my time.

Realize I’m talking about Campaigns here, not quick action missions. Obviously those could start in the air if it suits their purpose.

OP wants everything cold start and those that don't like it can use Auto-Start and fast forward. So dictating how others should be made to fly.

Not everything. Again I’m talking about scripted SP campaigns. Immersive style gameplay. There’s really no good reason to put hot starts in this type of mission because you can easily skip it if you like. But if you want the full experience it’s not available to you if the aircraft is already running. The hot start is actually dictating gameplay since it offers no flexibility.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I agree with the OP.

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

Not everything. Again I’m talking about scripted SP campaigns. Immersive style gameplay. There’s really no good reason to put hot starts in this type of mission because you can easily skip it if you like. But if you want the full experience it’s not available to you if the aircraft is already running. The hot start is actually dictating gameplay since it offers no flexibility.

I know your talking about campaigns, my bad thought I put that after everything. Again you're not wrong, just think a better push would be having this choice OUTSIDE of the ME.

And my rant isn’t about just one mission. It’s every mission and campaign for the Hornet. It makes you really wonder; Why would ED spend all the time and effort to put these features in the F/A-18C when the only way to experience this is in SP is in the Cold Start quick mission?

The other past modules aren’t like this as far as I’ve seen. All the other campaigns I have are all cold starts. Every one.

And my rant isn’t about just one mission. It’s every mission and campaign for the Hornet. It makes you really wonder; Why would ED spend all the time and effort to put these features in the F/A-18C when the only way to experience this is in SP is in the Cold Start quick mission?

The other past modules aren’t like this as far as I’ve seen. All the other campaigns I have are all cold starts. Every one.

Have you considered the possibility that you are in the minority and the mission designers are building the missions to suit the preferences of their primary audience?

EDsignaturefleet.jpg