Remove the Auto Start Cheat

SharpeXB

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it before, but in hot/runway/air starts, the aircraft's systems and switches may not be set to the user's preferences. This is one major reason I like cold starts: I can assure that everything necessary is on, everything unnecessary is off, and certain preferences are set.

That's mostly why I always cold start, though for missions where I've got more time before the action starts it's not too bad.

I notice that for the instant action dogfight missions, sometimes my aircraft isn't configured right.

For instance in the F-16C, none of the countermeasures are set-up, and you've got about 20 seconds maximum to set them up before things start getting hairy.

In the MiG-21bis, you start at the merge, the gunsight isn't configured properly and the gun isn't ready.

That said I wouldn't take away the autostart function, even if I almost never use it.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it before, but in hot/runway/air starts, the aircraft's systems and switches may not be set to the user's preferences. This is one major reason I like cold starts: I can assure that everything necessary is on, everything unnecessary is off, and certain preferences are set.
Same for me!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Many things are timed on the time in the game, for example other planes launching etc. There are huge time differences between start times, due to game updates (INS being the major time difference, depending on the availability of fast alignment or not, or the choice of the pilot to not wait for full alignment if doing only A/A...) and simply player proficiency.

Many many campaigns feature cold starts so it can’t be that hard to program. Every campaign I’ve ever played in DCD featured cold starts until I got the Hornet.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

i don't see the problem. I use some of the SP Missions as Template for other aircraft. It is only a setting for a cold and dark start or a hot start on the runway. I've all modules but my time is limited. As so i use the auto start or start on runway quite often because i not really know all the start procedures yet. Too many planes too little time.

Rainer

Is it too much to ask for a cold start option?

Every single SP mission I get for the Hornet including paid DLC campaigns feature hot starts for the aircraft. WTF?! I’ve never seen campaigns like this before with any other aircraft. If players want to skip the start sequence they can just use Auto Start but putting a hot start as a default ruins it for those of is who want the full sim experience. And it’s not just one mission it’s all of them! The only SP mission I can find with a cold start is actually the Cold Start quick mission.

What?

:doh:

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

i don't see the problem.

The problem is that a lot of us want to approach DCS as a simulation and not a “game”

ED spends a lot of development time including features such as the full systems used to start the aircraft. If too many people won’t use this then perhaps the whole sim just gets dumbed down like these campaigns have become. That’s not what many people want, I’m sure.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I think Northstar98 pretty much nailed it...

Start up is a time to get your Aircraft set up - by the time i've set up DSMS profiles, CMS profiles, put in Mission points for threat rings, no fly areas, contact points/holding points etc I might as well have done a cold start...far preferable than trying to get it all done "on the hoof" en route!

Airbag_signatur.png

The Auto Start on the Hornet doesn’t set your takeoff trim correctly

And the hot catapult start has the launch bar down which will jam your nose gear.

See if you start the aircraft every time you fly it, you’ll get so good at it you’ll be a human auto start computer. Then Auto Start isn’t needed.

The problem is that a lot of us want to approach DCS as a simulation and not a “game”

ED spends a lot of development time including features such as the full systems used to start the aircraft. If too many people won’t use this then perhaps the whole sim just gets dumbed down like these campaigns have become. That’s not what many people want, I’m sure.

DCS is a game with pretensions of being a hard core Sim. Thats just fact.

The F18 in DCS shuts down VERY fast using the auto stop so maybe just do that the moment u enter. Then you can do all the pre flight clicking you desire.

Hot start is very useful option. My preferred servers happen to have same jet both hot AND cold to choose from. If a persons time is limited and the mission will not suffer then Hot is very welcome.

So Auto stop or edit (if thats in fact possible with paid product). Not really an issue.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Someone should really change the title of this thread, since it's very confusing and not exactly what the OP wants. (Although Im reasonably sure he would happy if the auto-start sequence were actually completely removed from the game.)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

DCS is a game with pretensions of being a hard core Sim. Thats just fact.

The F18 in DCS shuts down VERY fast using the auto stop so maybe just do that the moment u enter. Then you can do all the pre flight clicking you desire.

Hot start is very useful option. My preferred servers happen to have same jet both hot AND cold to choose from. If a persons time is limited and the mission will not suffer then Hot is very welcome.

So Auto stop or edit (if thats in fact possible with paid product). Not really an issue.

So called "Hard core Simulators", the ones real world pilots use to train to fly the real thing, ALL have a Quick Start button.

Most real world commercial pilots do the full start sequence in training 3 or 4 times before they go fly the real thing.

In the bizav world, the right seater is sent out to do all the grunt work and some outfits even have the right seater starting the engines as the left seat gets buckled in.

I edit my Auto Starts in DCS to be as short as possible and include all of the post start switch flipping. I also make macros for the post start sequence for servers kind enough to include Hot starts.

I love that DCS makes all of this capability available for those that want to make the effort.

People here use "simulator" when they really mean "role-playing". DCS is a fine simulation. It isn't much of an RPG out the box and it certainly isn't the sort of RPG that forces everyone into the same box, which is what the folks who keep starting these threads seem to desire.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

So called "Hard core Simulators", the ones real world pilots use to train to fly the real thing, ALL have a Quick Start button.

Most real world commercial pilots do the full start sequence in training 3 or 4 times before they go fly the real thing.

That's because in the real world they're using a simulator as a procedural trainer to learn/review/embed specific knowledge/processes...

"Flying a whole mission" would make no sense and waste time/effort/money

The OP isn't even asking for "Only Hot Starts" he's asking for on PAID DLC Campaigns...he wants the "full mission experience" with cold starts so ehe can enjoy (as part of the entertainment package he paid for) a full end to end mission experience.

Airbag_signatur.png

I agree CAmpaigns should have an optio to start cold and dark or hot.

Then maybe have push times, to coordinate. Its not easy making a mission..

BUT the DIVA way does not help to comunicate.. I wants I needs, gime... my way... Geez.

No because you’d mess up the timing in the campaign mission if it’s not scripted in. What am I going to do with a hot catapult start? Taxi back to the ramp? That’s ridiculous.

This isn’t a big deal to ask for. Just make all campaign missions cold start and then let players decide whether they want to be gamers or simmers.

(Although Im reasonably sure he would happy if the auto-start sequence were actually completely removed from the game.)

Not really because then the gamers would want every mission starting on the runway. At least Auto Start makes things flexible

Edited by SharpeXB

In the bizav world, the right seater is sent out to do all the grunt work and some outfits even have the right seater starting the engines as the left seat gets buckled in.

I edit my Auto Starts in DCS to be as short as possible and include all of the post start switch flipping. I also make macros for the post start sequence for servers kind enough to include Hot starts.

I love that DCS makes all of this capability available for those that want to make the effort.

People here use "simulator" when they really mean "role-playing". DCS is a fine simulation. It isn't much of an RPG out the box and it certainly isn't the sort of RPG that forces everyone into the same box, which is what the folks who keep starting these threads seem to desire.

Of course we're role playing. Anybody think they aren't? The point is, are we role playing a pilot flying a plane or a real pilot on a simulator? Your choice but it should be a choice. Forcing us to do hot starts is not a choice.

Buzz

This is indeed an entertainment product. Not some sort of pro simulator. It’s entertaining to start your aircraft up.

Then maybe have push times, to coordinate. Its not easy making a mission..

Lots of campaigns do this. It’s not impossible.

Edited by SharpeXB

This is indeed an entertainment product. Not some sort of pro simulator. It’s entertaining to start your aircraft up.

Lots of campaigns do this. It’s not impossible.

So let me see if I got this right. You want ED and 3rd Party campaign makers to make EVERYTHING cold start by default. You clearly understand the process of changing a cold start to a hot start or vice versa. You want those that wanna have a plane ready, started at the ramp, and prepped for takeoff to then go into the mission editor and change the cold starts to hot starts. But you don't wanna have to do the same thing to change the hot starts to cold starts?? I missing something here? You say they should cater to the "simulation" crowd over the gamer crowd, but then say DCS is entertaining i.e. a game not a simulation. ?????????? I understand the want to have cold starts and hot starts depending on missions, timing, group size and all that, but it seems like you're saying one side is more important than the other, however, I would like to think we each make DCS what we want it.

All that being said, I do mostly cold starts cause like jasonbinder said earlier it is better to setup on the ground.

Edited by TheGuardian
spelling error

So let me see if I got this right. You want ED and 3rd Party campaign makers to make EVERYTHING cold start by default. You clearly understand the process of changing a cold start to a hot start or vice versa. You want those that wanna have a plane ready, started at the ramp, and prepped for takeoff to then go into the mission editor and change the cold starts to hot starts. But you don't wanna have to do the same thing to change the hot starts to cold starts?? I missing something here? You say they should cater to the "simulation" crowd over the gamer crowd, but then say DCS is entertaining i.e. a game not a simulation. ?????????? I understand the want to have cold starts and hot starts depending on missions, timing, group size and all that, but it seems like you're saying one side is more important than the other, however, I would like to think we each make DCS what we want it.

All that being said, I do mostly cold starts cause like jasonbinder said earlier it is better to setup on the ground.

Can't change paid DLCs, or can you? That's the point here I think!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

So let me see if I got this right. You want ED and 3rd Party campaign makers to make EVERYTHING cold start by default.

Until I started flying campaigns in the Hornet, that’s how every campaign I’ve ever played has been. I’ve never seen campaigns feature hot starts until now.

You say they should cater to the "simulation" crowd over the gamer crowd,

It’s easy to cater to both with a cold start because the gamers can just press the Auto Start keys.

What’s the problem?

It’s easy to cater to both with a cold start because the gamers can just press the Auto Start keys.

What’s the problem?

Me personally, there isn't a problem, I do it for some aircraft I'm not super familiar with. I would think it boils back to time. 8-15 minutes for a Auto-Start is the exact same as as cold start so it defeats the purpose of saving time (minus the people that can do it super fast, but you still have INS alignment that it the same length of time no matter what). Let me preface that statement with this though, I am only referring to cold start vs hot start, auto-start is still a cold start when it comes to time. Again, it's all personal preference, there is nothing wrong with what you guys are saying in the grand scheme of things. I think ED should try to add a selection before you sit in the plane to have it cold or hot.