2080Ti vs RTX 3090 for VR

Sn8ke

Oh and another question, which settings affect CPU more than GPU? I would really like to crank the GPU stuff up, and keep my CPU as happy as possible. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Oh and another question, which settings affect CPU more than GPU? I would really like to crank the GPU stuff up, and keep my CPU as happy as possible. 

DCS pixeldensity (PD) loads the CPU more than Supersampling does in SteamVR. Same result so keep PD at 1.0, or possibly lower.

One thing: I think there is a lot of people that believe their CPU is the bottleneck despite it might not be.

If that is the case( GPU limiting), measures to decrease load on CPU and increase on GPU might be a bad idea. 

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I don't use SteamVR as I use the Rift S and use the Oculus VR software, and the Oculus Tray Tool. So I guess I should use PD 1.0 in game, and just use supersampling from the Tray Tool?

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I don't use SteamVR as I use the Rift S and use the Oculus VR software, and the Oculus Tray Tool. So I guess I should use PD 1.0 in game, and just use supersampling from the Tray Tool?

Yes, at least I think thats a good idea.

You can test using the same total resolution( pd/ss) and se if theres a diff in CPU load. Remenber to look at the single CPU core having the highest load. (do not look at total cpu load on all cores together).

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I seem to be getting great results with my setup frame wise. So now the real question is how to get the best possible picture quality. I've noticed that with shadows set to "low" the sim does look much better than off or flat only and the performance doesn't suffer too much. However I do have a problem with "shimmer" and brightness in-game. 

With 2d screens an easy way to get rid of the "shimmer" effect is to turn on MSAA, will this help with shimmer in VR? What about world brightness? While the cockpit brightness seems to be fine with the default gamma settings, the world outside simply looks undersaturated and very, very bright. 

This might be a limitation of the Rift S screen, is there any way to setup good contrast levels and brightness either in DCS or with some kind external software? Thanks in advance, very happy with my 3090 purchase. The thing is a beast. 

Hmm Im getting strange graphical artefacts. Not sure what I did, but maybe it's related to the mission? This is the F14 Caucass free flight mission. So far I've only noticed it in this one. Is it maybe related to clouds, has anyone else experienced something similar? VRbug.jpg

this is because you have set:

options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

in autoexec.cfg, you need to comment the line out and the artefacts will go away 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Hmm Im getting strange graphical artefacts. Not sure what I did, but maybe it's related to the mission? This is the F14 Caucass free flight mission. So far I've only noticed it in this one. Is it maybe related to clouds, has anyone else experienced something similar? VRbug.jpg

It happens to me when I change MSAA setting without restarting DCS.

After the restart everything is OK.

38 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

this is because you have set:

options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

in autoexec.cfg, you need to comment the line out and the artefacts will go away 

Interestingly enough I have never added this line to the autoexec.cfg file. I don't even have an autoexec.cfg file.

1 minute ago, Shrimp said:

It happens to me when I change MSAA setting without restarting DCS.

After the restart everything is OK.

Oh, that might very well be it. I will try this. Thank you!

Yes, the changing the MSAA settings was causing the graphical artifacts. Thank you Shrimp!

Now I have another problem, Im getting judder and am unsure about what's causing it. Will try changing some settings but this kind of performance drop was unexpected.

• Like 1

Yep setting water from Low to High, induced significant judder, so that has gone back to low again. Any tips on ASW settings? Im using the Oculus Tray Tool and am unsure of what settings to use to get the least amount of judder.