AG Radar / TGP Tutorial Needed

Habu_69

I have read Chuck's Guide on the AG radar. Still don't quite get it all. Chuck says TGP can be slaved to AG radar, but does not show how. Does not seem to follow same procedure as TGP interaction with AA Radar.

We badly need a tutorial on the AG radar, as well as its interaction with the TGP..

When the AG radar designates a TGT position, the TGP should automatically slave to that location (FLIR switch must be ON and the pod seeker must be unstowed prior to designating).

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

any time you designate a target point, all sensors automatically slave to it. there is no manual slave function like there is in some other planes

you can designate a target point with the AGR in EXP modes by simultaneously depressing and slewing the TDC, at which point you'll see a crosshair appear on the display

any time you designate a target point, all sensors automatically slave to it. there is no manual slave function like there is in some other planes

you can designate a target point with the AGR in EXP modes by simultaneously depressing and slewing the TDC, at which point you'll see a crosshair appear on the display

Could you tell please about that modes that have came in the last update for open beta: AGR and FTT.

UPD: found about AGR mode

"Air-to-ground ranging (AGR) mode is an indirect radar mode—it is commanded automatically by the MC when deemed necessary and cannot be directly selected. Its purpose is to provide slant range to an aimpoint to allow a more precise calculation of altitude above target. When commanded, the AGR legend will appear on the HUD and the RDR ATTK format will display the AGR sub-format. If the radar was operating in MAP mode, it's possible to exit AGR mode and return to MAP by assigning TDC priority to the RDR ATTK format."

Edited by f1rst

Could you tell please about that modes that have came in the last update for open beta: AGR and FTT.

UPD: found about AGR mode

"Air-to-ground ranging (AGR) mode is an indirect radar mode—it is commanded automatically by the MC when deemed necessary and cannot be directly selected. Its purpose is to provide slant range to an aimpoint to allow a more precise calculation of altitude above target. When commanded, the AGR legend will appear on the HUD and the RDR ATTK format will display the AGR sub-format. If the radar was operating in MAP mode, it's possible to exit AGR mode and return to MAP by assigning TDC priority to the RDR ATTK format."

this site has documentation on the superhornet's ground radar that is applicable to our game as well:

https://forums.vrsimulations.com/support/index.php/A/G_Radar#Tracking_Modes_.28FTT.2FGMTT.29

basically you create a target point in the the map or EXP modes, then do a sensor switch bump to track that point (same way you cycle through TGP tracking modes). the symbology will then switch and display the tracked target as a brick

from playing around with it, it appears that the radar will "track" the exact point underneath the crosshair and not snap to proximity objects. i'm guessing it's still WIP, so not very useful right now

Screen-200924-022711.png

from playing around with it, it appears that the radar will "track" the exact point underneath the crosshair and not snap to proximity objects. i'm guessing it's still WIP, so not very useful right now

I saw the same thing. FTT will happily "track" a patch of grass next to a T-90. It "tracks" instantly too, there doesn't seem to be any actual processing involved when you command it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I saw the same thing. FTT will happily "track" a patch of grass next to a T-90. It "tracks" instantly too, there doesn't seem to be any actual processing involved when you command it.

It's definitely not working at all. Should also "wander" between close objects since the beam resolution is the same as RBM. Right now it is functionally useless.

well, what could you expect when GMT modes arent implemented. its kinda pointless without them. :)

No it's not. FTT also tracks static targets. It should favor the largest return in the RBM cell width and track it, so in the presence of radar significant returns it should snap the designation to the target. In the presence of many returns in the cell width, it should jump around and eventually settle on the largest return (which may not be your intended target). If no discernible return is found, the track should fail.

Right now the implementation is very simplistic and only cosmetic.

It's definitely not working at all. Should also "wander" between close objects since the beam resolution is the same as RBM. Right now it is functionally useless.
Yeah, it should try to settle on the largest return for up to 5 seconds, I think. Now it goes to FTT immediately, which means that no processing at all takes place. It's currently the same as a nav designation.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Yeah, it should try to settle on the largest return for up to 5 seconds, I think. Now it goes to FTT immediately, which means that no processing at all takes place. It's currently the same as a nav designation.

Just posted to bug reports for an official response. Do you think the ability to track moving targets in FTT is tied to tracking statics? After all, knowing how the sim determines a track for the TPOD there is really no difference whether the target is moving or not. Doubt it would be different for the radar.

Hi, I've been away for months and don't quite understand what FTT means, besides what it stands for. I saw many posts from wags using FTT letters in the same line as SEA mode and other posts using FTT letters in the line of MAP mode, so what is what? How does it work in the hornet? Thanks.

Stay safe

Hi, I've been away for months and don't quite understand what FTT means, besides what it stands for. I saw many posts from wags using FTT letters in the same line as SEA mode and other posts using FTT letters in the line of MAP mode, so what is what? How does it work in the hornet? Thanks.

FTT and GMTT are the same mode, the only difference is from which format you made the designation.

Any track initiated in GMT mode is a GMTT. Any track made in SEA, MAP, or any of MAP's submodes is an FTT.

The names are misleading. They are the same, which means FTT can track moving targets.

If you designate a moving ship in SEA, you get FTT tracking a moving target and get vectors and lead calculations in AUTO.

If you happen to FTT something moving on MAP, it will track it in FTT and you will get vectors and lead calcs in AUTO.

If you designate that some object in GMT mode, the behavior of the radar will be exactly the same except the format would be labeled "GMTT".

If you designate something that is or isn't moving on MAP or its submodes, the radar will attempt for up to 5 seconds to discern a significant radar return in the area you commanded, if it finds one, it initiates a track. If it can't, it reverts back to the previous map mode. If that object happens to be moving, it follows it. If it's not, it stays fixed on that object.

In this way, you would see the designation diamond move. It likely wouldn't just stay exactly where you put it if it achieved a track and if you commanded track on empty space with no significant radar returns, the track should fail. This is what Harli was talking about re. a bare patch of grass.

The objects either need to be synthetic returns (SEA and GMT) or something the radar can discern in MAP.

The beam operates at the resolution of RBM, NOT the expand modes, because the expand modes are not what the radar 'sees', rather the effect of post-processing techniques analyzing doppler shift and a whole bunch of other confusing magic that I do not understand.

Edited by LastRifleRound

That's actually really interesting, I wasn't aware of this. Is there any video where it hints the process in real life?

FTT and GMTT are the same mode, the only difference is from which format you made the designation.

Any track initiated in GMT mode is a GMTT. Any track made in SEA, MAP, or any of MAP's submodes is an FTT.

The names are misleading. They are the same, which means FTT can track moving targets.

If you designate a moving ship in SEA, you get FTT tracking a moving target and get vectors and lead calculations in AUTO.

If you happen to FTT something moving on MAP, it will track it in FTT and you will get vectors and lead calcs in AUTO.

If you designate that some object in GMT mode, the behavior of the radar will be exactly the same except the format would be labeled "GMTT".

If you designate something that is or isn't moving on MAP or its submodes, the radar will attempt for up to 5 seconds to discern a significant radar return in the area you commanded, if it finds one, it initiates a track. If it can't, it reverts back to the previous map mode. If that object happens to be moving, it follows it. If it's not, it stays fixed on that object.

In this way, you would see the designation diamond move. It likely wouldn't just stay exactly where you put it if it achieved a track and if you commanded track on empty space with no significant radar returns, the track should fail. This is what Harli was talking about re. a bare patch of grass.

The objects either need to be synthetic returns (SEA and GMT) or something the radar can discern in MAP.

The beam operates at the resolution of RBM, NOT the expand modes, because the expand modes are not what the radar 'sees', rather the effect of post-processing techniques analyzing doppler shift and a whole bunch of other confusing magic that I do not understand.

Absolutely grateful for this complete and comprehensive reply, thanks for taking the time to do it. The only question remaining I think is what does synthetic return mean?

Stay safe