CPU frame times

Harlikwin

In that TF51 mission your CPU FT should be below 10, so there is definitely something bogging down your CPU.

I also use simshaker export and it doesn't affect performance (Winwing export though is a big performance hog). You can start by commenting out everything in the export.lua and run the mission again. If the CPU FT is still high, then it's not the export issue and you can cross that out and start looking for other culprit. There're just too many things (running in the background) that can bog down the CPU.

Sometimes too much overclocking can also be a problem causing system instability (might not even be apparent in other games or non-VR mode). Just put the CPU in the default non-OC state and run the game and see if there is any improvement.

Well, so some amusing antics later.

Uninstalled Gforce experience entirely. No change.

Reset Bios, various "hilarity" with my machine randomly freezing 30 seconds after start since I guess I turned off the CPU OC, but left something else (ram maybe?) and it took 3 hours of panic and cruising to be able to reset the uefi to default, which "cured" it. :megalol:

Also disable literally every startup program (mainly simple things to turn of my flashing memory etc.)

Running DCS repair and finding 1 file "wrong" (likely a MFD readability "fix")

Did a clean reinstall of the NVidia drivers. As well as steamVr (which didn't seem clean, since it kept my old settings)

Net result, absolutely 0 change. Still my TF-51 tiblisi frame times are in the 20's (actually a bit worse than before by 2-3 ms) maybe due to loss of the OC.

In terms of other programs, I can fly the "other" WW2 sim at a CPU time of about 9ms. GPU time is a bit high at 17ms, but since I'm basically at max on everything I can set that further down.

Literally everything is pointing to a DCS issue.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If it is DCS issue then it has to be something in the saved games folder. Export.lua is usually the first suspect though, I would comment out every single command in that file. One last resort is to make a backup of the saved games folder first and delete the whole folder.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

If it is DCS issue then it has to be something in the saved games folder. Export.lua is usually the first suspect though, I would comment out every single command in that file. One last resort is to make a backup of the saved games folder first and delete the whole folder.

How do i comment stuff out?

//

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Or make a backup copy of your export.lua then trash it.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

22-23ms here.

Its so dependent from what mission and settings etc, it cannot be compared lika that.

Im mostly between 7 and 12ms. <— of no value for Harlikvins question, I think.

If to compare, use a standarized quick mission in the same map, at the same position ?

And also, post settings.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Its so dependent from what mission and settings etc, it cannot be compared lika that.

Im mostly between 7 and 12ms. <— of no value for Harlikvins question, I think.

If to compare, use a standarized quick mission in the same map, at the same position ?

And also, post settings.

Yeah this was over tiblisi with speed of heats settings.

Where can I find that steam VR file?

Aha...

Well it is "something" in export.lua

I commented out everything and I instantly had ~11ms for a cpu frame time, now GPU limited.

With a bit of further tweaking on the tiblisi p51 run I can get it to 8ms, and cranking down various graphics and PD actually can in a few instances at low level get me 11ms frame times for graphics and the magic 90fps number. It does look like crap though.

However, if I turn on "anything" in the file it goes back to 20+ms frame times for CPU. Can anyone explain those first few lines? I can guess the that simshaker, tacview and srs are things. But what is LFS (local files?), cuz if I comment that one back in (first 2 lines, I get 20ms+ frame times). It seems like I can uncomment the SRS and simshaker stuff independently and at least simshaker seems to work. Havent tested the other stuff. It seems like the first 2-3 lines are the problem.

--local wwtlfs=require('lfs')

--dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

--dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[scripts\SimShaker-export-core\ExportCore.lua]])

--local SimShakerlfs=require('lfs'); dofile(SimShakerlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/SimShaker.lua')

--local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

--pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil);

Edited by Harlikwin

Awesome news!

Yes, still wondering about the lua file though.

And now I have to really rethink my GFX settings, which were running like 17 or 14ms before. Which wasn't much of a problem when the CPU frame time was like 25ms.

I like 90fps very smooth. But all the shimmering and crappy gfx are kinda a no-go

Yes, still wondering about the lua file though.

And now I have to really rethink my GFX settings, which were running like 17 or 14ms before. Which wasn't much of a problem when the CPU frame time was like 25ms.

I like 90fps very smooth. But all the shimmering and crappy gfx are kinda a no-go

Yeah, the shimmering is overwhelming.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Yeah, the shimmering is overwhelming.

Well I'm in the process of cranking this back up. I can get 90fps on syria even at high alt with very low settings.

Generally im GFX limited at this point. On a mostly clean syria map I'm at 8-10ms depending on settings (I like shadows). GPU is hanging out at around 14-17 so mostly like 60fps.

This is without any OC's at this point, so maybe I can shave the times down a by a few ms with that.

But its a major improvement. Its also interesting what has some impact on frame times and what doesn't seem to matter much.

It will also be interesting to see what online looks like, I'm sure my CPU frame times will go up dramatically.

CPU frame times

Looking at your export.lua, the culprit is most likely Winwing’s stuff (lines that have wwt in it)

Looking at your export.lua, the culprit is most likely Winwing’s stuff (lines that have wwt in it)

Hm Interesting. maybe its for all the lighting/button stuff? Which I don't use, throttle works fine.

Edited by Harlikwin

Hm. So does that mean the throttle won't be detected in game?

No the APU light and instrument light won’t sync but that is about it. Throttle is a regular Windows controller device doesn’t really need a specific driver.

No the APU light and instrument light won’t sync but that is about it. Throttle is a regular Windows controller device doesn’t really need a specific driver.

Yeah works perfect. I fly in VR and hate all that lighting stuff.

Now online I'm seeing CPU frametimes in the high teens and 20's... Grrr.

Edited by Harlikwin

Harlikwin,

Check your shadow settings. These have some of the most direct impact on CPU usage in DCS and I only use flat shadows due to it.

I also have a fairly extensive export.lua (SimShaker, VRK, TacView, my custom G-Seat for 3rd Space Vest) and I'm not noticing that much of a slow down.

My CPU frametimes with a similar i7-9700kf@5.0ghz are normally in a 10-14ms range in SP with my GPU times being around 20-25 my Pimax 5k+ in the newer modules like the Viper. I'm hoping GPU times can go down to 13-14ms with this round of video cards (maybe 3090 or 3089 20gb since DCS allocates more than 10gb for the F-16 and F-14 on my system).

Getting my GPU frametimes down to that across all the modules will allow me to drive the Pimax at 72hz without ASW/smart smoothing. I notice double vision of maneuvering aircraft in BFM with it on and since during the week when I don't have time to fly complete missions my main form of flying is BFM, I would like to get rid of that.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Snake122, I also hated using smart smoothing on my 5k+ with a 1080Ti. The double vision was annoying. But with the 3080 it actually works really well. You won't need it anymore, but it's a genuine option now. Seems you need to hold about 60fps minimum for smart smoothing to "work" properly in my opinion. With my 3080 I get 60 minimum, usually 70-80+ at any sort of altitude. Max FoV, 1.5 pitool, 2x msaa.

Even at 70-80fps, when rolling quickly there is a definite stutter in the framerate. Not bad, but it's there. With smart smoothing the roll feels smooth.

I'm still undecided whether I need to use it anymore. I might try loading up detail settings a bit and see if smart smoothing can compensate, but I think once you drop below 50-60fps it starts to flake out a bit and give you that double vision. I'd rather have smooth visuals for once instead of some pretty effects.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Snake122, I also hated using smart smoothing on my 5k+ with a 1080Ti. The double vision was annoying. But with the 3080 it actually works really well. You won't need it anymore, but it's a genuine option now. Seems you need to hold about 60fps minimum for smart smoothing to "work" properly in my opinion. With my 3080 I get 60 minimum, usually 70-80+ at any sort of altitude. Max FoV, 1.5 pitool, 2x msaa.

Even at 70-80fps, when rolling quickly there is a definite stutter in the framerate. Not bad, but it's there. With smart smoothing the roll feels smooth.

I'm still undecided whether I need to use it anymore. I might try loading up detail settings a bit and see if smart smoothing can compensate, but I think once you drop below 50-60fps it starts to flake out a bit and give you that double vision. I'd rather have smooth visuals for once instead of some pretty effects.

Thanks a lot, that's great to know! Do you fly the Viper or F-14 module? I believe those are both that 10+Gb allocated in Afterburner/fpsVR which isn't the same as used but has made me hesitant on the standard 3080.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

For some reason, the hud doesn't show here.

DCS update broke it long time ago, so Oculus visual hud doesn't work.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11