CPU frame times

Harlikwin

What sort of frame times you guys seeing for your CPU? I'm sitting around 25ms for mine, sometimes into the low 20's at best. 9700k, 4.6-4.8ghz.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What sort of frame times you guys seeing for your CPU? I'm sitting around 25ms for mine, sometimes into the low 20's at best. 9700k, 4.6-4.8ghz.

You should tell us which plane/terrain and mission. It does factor in quite a bit.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Depends on how congested the area is as well as the complexity of the mission. I’m typically seeing between 7-11 ms in non-congested area (T51 free flight over Tbilisi), but in congested areas with lots of buildings in Persian Gulf it can go up into the orange zone (low 20s) and back into the green again when I’m out of those areas. I’m running medium visibility since I get optimal fps for my system that way. If you run high or extreme visibility it may have more negative impact on the CPU FT.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

This is what I get in persian gulf f18 freeflight. You can see the CPU frametimes easily beating the GPU. (7700K@5ghz/1080Ti). Should have my 3080 in a couple of days, and expect to see frametimes come down atleast a few ms.

If I disable hyperthreading, CPU frametimes come down even further but HT is ON at the moment because of FS2020.

About 45-50fps.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 123355

Edited by SneakyBastd

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

Yes and this is why we should see fps gain in VR with newer GPU, at least in non-congested areas of the map where CPU FT is consistently lower than GPU’s.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

So I'm seeing mid 20's for a 1 v 1 south of qesh island in a hornet vs an AI jeff. I'm running medium vis and pre-render distances.

Sounds like you guys are in the 10's?

My GPU frame times in general are 50% lower than my CPU. CPU is like 20's 30's and GPU is like half that routinely.

Something whacky happened a few days ago, and maybe it was the MS update, or the latest Nvida update but I lost like 10fps on most maps so I'm trying to figure that out.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

As Hansa and Supmua says.

I am between about 6-12ms.

CPU frametime would depend on CPU generation, clock speed and the graphic settings.

I did all tuning with the help of fpsvr since upgrading hardware and getting Hp Reverb one year ago. In my case the CPU frametime is always lower than the GPU frametime.

There might be some settings that load the CPU more.

With my old hardware i7 3770K 4.7-4.8Ghz /GTX1080 /Rift CV1 ( didnt have fpsvr), CPU Load was also lower than GPU load most of the time, and always no stutter at 45fps( = All frame times below 22ms).

I run my i9 9900KS at 5.2Ghz, and your 9700 is same generation. Should be about 90% of my CPU single core performance or frame times = 10% higher than mine. It seems logic that you load your CPU by high settings?

Do you run the Reverb @ 90 or 60hz?

If 90hz, and motionreprojection you should need to stay below 22ms at all times, to stay free of stutter.

Our hardware doesnt differ that much( I have a i9@5.2, RTX2080ti slightly OC, 32Gb RAM@3200mhz) so performance should be close?

Du you run your CPU at 4.6-4.8Ghz on all cores ”all the time” or do you have BIOS settings letting the clock slow down after a while?

My frametimes, shot this weekend:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4492481&postcount=310

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I did all tuning with the help of fpsvr since upgrading hardware and getting Hp Reverb one year ago.

fpsVR does not show actual frame times for WMR headsets. I asked the fpsVR dev on Steam about this specifically.

Here is his exact quote, " do not forget that SteamVR (and fpsVR) will not show you the total frame time, including the frame processing time on the WMR side... SteamVR is not native frames compositor for WMR headsets. Windows Mixed Reality Portal has own frames compositor. Time on its side doesn't included in SteamVR stats."

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

fpsVR does not show actual frame times for WMR headsets. I asked the fpsVR dev on Steam about this specifically.

Yes, Its also stated in the fpsvr information on Steam website.

Still, there doesnt seem to be a noticeably difference. When using motionvector in auto the switch from 90 to 45 fps seems to come very close to 11ms and getting stutter above 22ms seems to time with going below 45fps.

[Edit]Just had to test:

fpsvr-accuracy.png

Did test both different instant missions and start servers with missions I usually play.

The difference between GPU frame time(always limiting for me) 0.2, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 and 1.4ms.Sometimes also fpsvr reports a slightly higher framtime than possible frame time. As fps is reported in hole numbers the mean difference should be expected as around 0.5 just because of the rounded fps number. It certainly looks like the FPS frame times is very close and that the difference in most cases can be ignored when it comes to tuning your computer and also for comparing between other forum users. Different graphic settings should make the numbers differ a lot more.

Explanation if needed: 1000 divided by the reported FPS = the mean frame time(of the highest of CPU/GPU) in milliseconds actually used for that moment. For the first upper fpsvr in the picture above, 1000/80fps= 12.5ms and fvsvr reported 13.2ms, that acutally 0,7 higher than possible.

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

If you have motion reprojection on auto, then how come you are getting 55, 58, 59, 61 FPS etc? Shouldn't it switch on and render at 45 frames?

Edited by Panthera_Tigris

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

If you have motion reprojection on auto, then how come you are getting 55, 58, 59, 61 FPS etc? Shouldn't it switch on and render at 45 frames?

For this test I did (forgot to write that) set reprojection to ”none”. This to get the real frame per second that the computer delivered. Otherwise it wouldnt really give anything.

Set to [none] for the test and back to [auto] asap after :lol:

You guys using motion reprojection. Did you try motion smoothing recently? I prefer it in the current state.

I dont really think ít work with WMR/Reverb alone.

I use motionreprojection. It works fine, better than oculus ASW did.

I tried motion smoothing a lot when I did the VR setup and I really dont think it worked for me alone, without motionreprojection. Motion smoothing appeared like motionreprojection = off.

I actually have motion smooting left "on" anyway, because I felt that it may help when motionreprojection is on.

The above is how I found it when I did my Reverb setup. I also just tried it again, both motionreprojection only, motionsmoothing only and the both together. I thought that maybe it has been changed to the better. But I got the exact same results today.

No, thats not how it works Gunnars. Motion smoothing setting in SteamVR (for each individual app) applies motion reprojection to WMR headsets. It does not apply motion smoothing, even though it is called that. But that's ok since most people dont care about the difference.

By default, motion reprojection is set to auto. Here, read these official patch notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/3851080472164545100

Motion Reprojection Setting Changes

This beta makes changes to how motion reprojection settings can be managed. Like before, the default.vrsettings file can be modified to specify the reprojection mode to use for all titles. As a reminder, the possible values are:

disabled - motion reprojection is never applied.

auto - motion reprojection is applied if the running title cannot maintain native framerate.

motionvector - motion reprojection is always applied.

Alternatively, if you're using Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR in conjunction with the latest SteamVR release, you can now use SteamVR to manage motion reprojection settings on a per-application basis. To enable this functionality:

Ensure you're running a supported version of SteamVR (1.10.28 or greater).

Remove the "motionReprojectionMode" line from default.vrsettings.

In the SteamVR settings, select Video > Per Application Video Settings.

Select the title you're interested in, and change the motion smoothing option.

Motion Smoothing Setting

Use Global Setting - no application specific override. The global default mode is auto.

Enabled - motion reprojection runs in auto mode, applying reprojection if the application cannot maintain native framerate.

Disabled - motion reprojection is never applied for the application.

Force Always-on - application runs at half-framerate with reprojection.

No, thats not how it works Gunnars.

For me, motion reprojection was disabled by default. It also reverts to disabled after each steamvr update, needing to change back to ”auto”.

I understood motion smoothing is reprojection but as I remember it is SteamVR’s version with a different algoritm than reprojection which is the WMR version. I did not like motion smoothing at all, maybe I didn't get it to run properly. Yes, I deleted the row when I tried motion smoothing.

Generally, my experience from Oculus is that ASW* (2016-2019) is not near as good as motion reprojection. Double pictures/ghosting is frequent. With motion reprojection its not that far from true 90 fps in my eyes. I might be a bit biased on the motion reprojection because its that good in my eyes.

*) Seen info about oculus released a new version of ASW so it might be better now.

Hmm.. Seems like I'm doing something horribly wrong. My CPU frame times are almost always double my GPU frame times. That being said generally I'm seeing anywhere from 30-60fps under most circumstances. Syria however is quite taxing.

Hmm.. Seems like I'm doing something horribly wrong. My CPU frame times are almost always double my GPU frame times. That being said generally I'm seeing anywhere from 30-60fps under most circumstances. Syria however is quite taxing.

There might be some things to check.

Main settings might be done on a less demanding map so it isnt bottlenecking the CPU regardless of settings. The newer maps seems more demanding.

First of all: Hardware setup. How have you set your computer up ?

Does the CPU:

- Run on 4.8Ghz all the time or only for shorter periods?

- Does the CPU run 4.8 Ghz on all cores or is it only one core ?

Default settings sometimes dont keep the cpu clock and if it goes down, the cpu frame times will go up. Also, if not all cores is 4.8 I think it is possible to have the DCS main thread on a "slow" core, which also will give you higher cpu frame times.

You need to make sure of these things first because a 2.4ghz clock will give you doubled CPU frame time and no dcs settings can fix that problem.

Edit: Dont know how much you know about computers? Might be kicking in open doors. Theres a lot of ways check the CPU real clock on all cores.

For example, HWinfo64 can be used free: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

You can use the small window to se all cores clocks in real time. Correct setup you will have 4.8Ghz all the time(preferableon all cores).

HWinfo.png

Edited by Gunnars Driver

Have you checked your export.lua recently? Try disabling extra things that can increase CPU load in there.

Run a simple mission such as T51 flight over Tbilisi, you CPU FT should hit rock bottom in that mission if the system is well optimized. Then try free flight in Persian Gulf with F-16 or 18 to increase complexity, super carrier mission, etc. and observe the changes.

Edited by Supmua

Have you checked your export.lua recently? Try disabling extra things that can increase CPU load in there.

Run a simple mission such as T51 flight over Tbilisi, you CPU FT should hit rock bottom in that mission if the system is well optimized. Then try free flight in Persian Gulf with F-16 or 18 to increase complexity, super carrier mission, etc. and observe the changes.

I have literally never opened export.lua, what does it do? I use VR. what would I disable? I'm running tacview, simshaker, and SRS by the look of it.

So I double checked with the free flight mission TF 51, ~45-50fps with the "default VR" settings. Literally the same CPU times, 22-24ms. Ram usage was substantially lower 6gb for the GPU and like 12 or something for the total ram. But CPU was still seriously bottlenecked. Not really running anything else either.

Interestingly I could crank up the gfx settings or scenario complexity, and still about the same CPU/GPU frame time. So thats an interesting datapoint.

I am running the steam version of DCS if that might make any sort of difference.

Edited by Harlikwin

I dont know about the export.lua, but some other stuff:

I recently saw geforce experience totally bog down my friends new build( 18core i9, 128Gb RAm, 2080ti). He had bad performance(DCS not installed, but in a other game). Needed a uninstall/total clean from geforce expoerience and then install the geforce driver only.

I have exactly the same 2080ti, with the same driver and geforce experience installed, so it doesnt nessesary kill all computers.

Also, deleting all shaders can help if having problem with dcs performance. Never done it myself, not had any problems. Information how to should be found on this forum.

First: make sure the hadware is running as per my former post.

try this; press windows + G go into settings select capture Make sure record in the background is *not* checked

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have literally never opened export.lua, what does it do? I use VR. what would I disable? I'm running tacview, simshaker, and SRS by the look of it.

So I double checked with the free flight mission TF 51, ~45-50fps with the "default VR" settings. Literally the same CPU times, 22-24ms. Ram usage was substantially lower 6gb for the GPU and like 12 or something for the total ram. But CPU was still seriously bottlenecked. Not really running anything else either.

Interestingly I could crank up the gfx settings or scenario complexity, and still about the same CPU/GPU frame time. So thats an interesting datapoint.

I am running the steam version of DCS if that might make any sort of difference.

In that TF51 mission your CPU FT should be below 10, so there is definitely something bogging down your CPU.

I also use simshaker export and it doesn't affect performance (Winwing export though is a big performance hog). You can start by commenting out everything in the export.lua and run the mission again. If the CPU FT is still high, then it's not the export issue and you can cross that out and start looking for other culprit. There're just too many things (running in the background) that can bog down the CPU.

Sometimes too much overclocking can also be a problem causing system instability (might not even be apparent in other games or non-VR mode). Just put the CPU in the default non-OC state and run the game and see if there is any improvement.