[result] rtx 3080 for VR

dg6546

Looking forward to Vulkan. DCS will be amazing once you get a steady 90fps/hz on a high resolution VR headset like the G2 reverb. At that point, who needs the real world anymore? :P

Dont get your hopes up. Vulkan might be able to give some boost in VR, but its not gonna be magic. I'd expect 25-30% improvement in VR at best. Really DCS will benefit probably the most from multicoring some "new" features as they are added in so it won't further bog down the main threads.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Looking forward to Vulkan. DCS will be amazing once you get a steady 90fps/hz on a high resolution VR headset like the G2 reverb. At that point, who needs the real world anymore? :P

45 for me is actually quite good. 90 would be better, of course.

The promise of vulkan for me is the mgpu capability. Where maybe, SLI like function could be had for VR.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

2 weeks

I mean its been more than 2 years since they announced it, I bet its at least 1-2 more.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

do you mean that vulkan will be available in two weeks?

No, the "two weeks" is a running joke.

Wags announced some of the work was done for Vulkan, but that all the shaders needed to be touched.

So it's probably next year the earliest? That's a SWAG on my part though.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Wags announced some of the work was done for Vulkan, but that all the shaders needed to be touched.

Reminds me of this... :)

2481ad503fea1f8d0e0b7729b7423406.jpg

I really have big doubts that they will really implement vulkan anytime in the future. She already hinted that "the code is tough". They might just drop it altogether in hopes that hardware brute force alone will solve their core problem. They "were" supposed to be working on Vulkan since 2017, although very little or anything is known about that. The bottomline is that it might just be that they haven't even started it yet.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Reminds me of this... :)

2481ad503fea1f8d0e0b7729b7423406.jpg

If only ED developers could work in Ludicrous Speed!:thumbup:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I really have big doubts that they will really implement vulkan anytime in the future. She already hinted that "the code is tough". They might just drop it altogether in hopes that hardware brute force alone will solve their core problem. They "were" supposed to be working on Vulkan since 2017, although very little or anything is known about that. The bottomline is that it might just be that they haven't even started it yet.

And yet the company owner publicly stated that improving the core is top priority. So I'm guessing it's a top priority until proven otherwise.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

And yet the company owner publicly stated that improving the core is top priority. So I'm guessing it's a top priority until proven otherwise.

Agreed, I keep repeating this but E.D are not a large team and they already have put a magnificent work together, so credit to them and wait and see...

With the new generation of CPU and GPUs around the corner, if we get a better (VR oriented) engine it will be all benefits, they know it is the best way to get players to come and stay with them.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

You mean something like february/march 2021?

Nobody really knows, the speculation is at best... not actually helpful

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

LOL. Yes, that's why I didn't preface 2021 with 1Q, 2Q, 1H, 2H etc. :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thank you for this thread. The CPU graph in the multiplayer section says it all (around 12:15 in the vid). No amount of GPU upgrades will ever make DCS run well in VR:

Exactly this. I too run DCS in VR (HP Reverb, GTX 1080, 8700K). My frame rates have gotten worse and worse over time with new patches. I used to get solid 45fps, but since recent patches I'm lucky to get 35fps. What's more as far as I can tell the entire thing is hopelessy CPU limited. I can tell this because as soon as I high "pause" (so it's still rendering but not running the simulation) my frame rate shoots up.

It's so incredibly frustrating. All I want is a solid framerate at a good resolution for VR, I don't care how bad it looks just let me see clearly and have a smooth experience. I used to enjoy playing the MBot DCE campaigns but now it's hopelessly slow, DCS just can't cope with having that many units in a mission. I'm not convinced any amount of upgrades will fix this, and it seems to be getting worse over time. This is the single biggest thing holding me back in DCS, and honestly it really makes me wonder how much extra I want to invest in the platform right now.

Edited by Tomsk

What's more as far as I can tell the entire thing is hopelessy CPU limited.

:music_whistling:

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Exactly this. I too run DCS in VR (HP Reverb, GTX 1080, 8700K). My frame rates have gotten worse and worse over time with new patches. I used to get solid 45fps, but since recent patches I'm lucky to get 35fps. What's more as far as I can tell the entire thing is hopelessy CPU limited. I can tell this because as soon as I high "pause" (so it's still rendering but not running the simulation) my frame rate shoots up.

It's so incredibly frustrating. All I want is a solid framerate at a good resolution for VR, I don't care how bad it looks just let me see clearly and have a smooth experience. I used to enjoy playing the MBot DCE campaigns but now it's hopelessly slow, DCS just can't cope with having that many units in a mission. I'm not convinced any amount of upgrades will fix this, and it seems to be getting worse over time. This is the single biggest thing holding me back in DCS, and honestly it really makes me wonder how much extra I want to invest in the platform right now.

Eeer, I see in you pic GPU MEM 9,7/10GB... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1080 only have 8GB normally??

To return to the topic, I'm with you on that, with 2080ti and an Oculus Rift S, I struggle a bit to get both eye candy and smoothness all the time (Nellis with other aircrafts, Syria above populated area...) and I also noticed the game was perfectly smooth when paused. I have a Reverb G2 incoming, I hope it will not get worse (some reported performance increase compared to Rift/Rift S, so I have hope!)

Edit: Oh sorry, I just noticed it was not your pic, but MPK's one...!

Edited by Pride37

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Heyy Guys

i hope someone can help me. I get bad stutters in DCS. With every stutter the sound lags too. I noticed that the cpu utilization drops with every stutter. No difference between singleplayer or multiplayer. I tried to lower all settings but no difference in stutters.

I disabled hotplug and game dvr.

I play only in VR and with the VR preset settings i got 80fps locked for my rift-s with no ASW.

My System:

Zotac RTX 3080

Ryzen 3700x

32gb RAM 2400MHz.

NVMe 1Tb

thank you

Heyy Guys

i hope someone can help me. I get bad stutters in DCS. With every stutter the sound lags too. I noticed that the cpu utilization drops with every stutter. No difference between singleplayer or multiplayer. I tried to lower all settings but no difference in stutters.

I play only in VR and with the VR preset settings i got 80fps locked for my rift-s with no ASW.

My System:

Zotac RTX 3080

Ryzen 3700x

32gb RAM 2400MHz.

NVMe 1Tb

thank you

If you go to the the VR thread, you'll likely get a better answer. And in that VR group, there are threads for various HMD (goggle) manufacturers. Be sure to specify which VR you're using.

Follow this trail:

ED Forums » English » DCS World Topics » Input and Output » Virtual Reality

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1080 only have 8GB normally??

Depends on the model...

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/evga-gtx-1080-ti-sc2-w-icx-cooler.b4349

Heyy Guys

My System:

Zotac RTX 3080

Ryzen 3700x

32gb RAM 2400MHz.

NVMe 1Tb

thank you

It is possible that the Ryzen 3700X is too weak for your GPU which could result in a bottleneck at higher resolution (4K), more to the point, your RAM is running too slow.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.