[result] rtx 3080 for VR

dg6546

170 FPS flat screen and near 80 FPS in VR are good results with your new retest.

Maybe with a bigger CPU you could improve a notch your VR eyecandy. (Or with improved drivers or new DCS engine).

It seems a lot of a difference with 2000 series GPUs (in VR). And that is the suposed improvement of a 3080 in the actual CPU bound DCS: Poor improvements in 1080 flat screen and good ones in VR.

It doesn´t look bad for me and sure it will evolve better with time.

Edit: Have you checked if GPU scheduling is enabled in windows or not?

Edited by Leaderface

Mine opinion settings in Nvidia driver and ingame DCS. You can improve. I Hope my New card comes in fast. So I can do the test myself. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

That is what I am trying to determine..

We need someone else to post their results. I too find it extremely unlikely that the game would scale so poorly as to show zero improvement from a 1080Ti to a 3080.

Many people have shared videos on YouTube showing their results at 4K with a 2080Ti and it surely is an improvement.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

I´ve said that before too: VR is the way performance in DCS have to be measured from now onto the future.

Glad to know that there are users who understand things as they are :thumbup:

The community needs our feedback to improve.

LMAO, we just got an updated engine, its a marathon not a sprint as they say.

I'm tired of these useless comments that distract, it almost seems that you feel obliged to defend the defects of the sim, but isn't it that someone pays you to do it?

What's ''the future'' is irrelevant in a game engine with ten to fifteen year old roots...Vulkan taking years to implement...you're tired of having to ''wait so long'' regarding a technology that barely existed 1-2...Lol ''Painful optimisation.... It works just fine in 2d, which is what it was designed to do...

it is so boring to read these answers. Where do I start to explain why it would be useless to answer you?

They are working on it. So is the mega dollar MS and their new sim and would like to see how it runs (When Done).

The reason would "generally" be not for us but for ED mil clients with $ that want it for VR training.

Embarrassing compared to what please? (That's as big [sacle], detail, AI as DCS is)

Embarrassing post really. Pay for upgraded core? Small drop in ED's bucket compared to contracts that pay for these updates.

I think i expressed myself well; compared to current graphics. I see that in the end you understand that it is a question of money. I don't care who they need to get help from to get a decent optimization in non-biblical times, i'm interested in knowing if they can get it quickly in exchange for a fee. Instead of spending money on new modules with no guarantees that come out of EAs after years, spend it to have a decently updated platform rather.

According to all of the reviews, the 3080 offers at least an 80% improvement on the performance of the 1080Ti at 4K....

Omg, why are you comparing it to 1080ti? do not mix pears with apples.

Edited by Expert

Seriously Expert, the OP went from a 1080ti to a 3080.... Dudikoff is simply stating that we know that the 2080ti was an improvement over the 1080ti so seeing zero improvement going from a 1080ti to a 3080 seems odd..however this is probably only true for 4K.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Well I think the shaders were not deleted. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Expert,

Have you seen the frame rate of most systems running FS2020? Assuming you have, you can see only too well how badly that is optimised, despite being brand new.

DCS doesn’t look as good, then look at the frame rates most of us get on a monitor.

So yes, I’m looking forward to the updated game engine too, but I found your denigration of the current engine simply unrealistic in its expectations

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

A couple remarks from a Valve Index owner. CPU is i7-9700k, 32GB RAM @ 3600, GTX 1080Ti, NVMe drive. F/A-18C module.

"Free flight" is not indicative of a real mission scenario or multiplayer server. I can easily hit more-or-less-stable VR 60fps using Index's 120Hz mode with reprojection on Caucasus. But the second I drop into the mission (for example the infamous 2 mission of the campaign (CAS)), frames drop to 30fps and mostly stay there. CPU frametimes are "obscene" and my 1080Ti is practically yawning there.

If you really want to measure performance, I'd suggest that mission. IDK if it is for the hornet only or it is generic. Or just create fast mission and check there. As it looks currently, DCS is heavily CPU bound and adding GPU power won't change much. I will be doing some testing, and when (if?) my 3080 arrives I will use the mission to benchmark the performance.

First post here so go easy on me. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents as I'm also considering a 3080 and have given this quite some thought.

There's a relatively easy way to see if a 3080 will make any difference to your DCS VR experience, and it's based on using FPS VR to gage your performance now.

in VR FPS (or frame-times) are based on the lowest value out of the GPU-based frame-times and the CPU-based frame times. I'll use my case as an example, you can extrapolate from there.

Currently using an R5 3600 with an RTX 2070 super FE. Frame times observed on average during gameplay are around 11ms for CPU and 14 or more for GPU depending on graphics settings on an HP Reverb Pro with steam VR SS set to 100% (so lower than native resolution for the Reverb). This is on single player on not particularly heavy missions but serves as an example.

The 3080 benchmarks show it to be about 80% to 90% faster than the 2070s in 4k. So, my GPU-based frame-times should decrease by 80%, meaning they would be 7.8ms. The CPU will then become the bottleneck so the frame times I will be observing will be around 11ms (based on CPU performance) corresponding to around 91fps on average.

I can then use the 3.2ms frame-time headroom on the card to increase the eye candy.

If I had a more powerful GPU and my GPU-based frame-times were already lower than the CPU-based frame-times I'd know there's no point in upgrading as far as DCS VR performance is concerned.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - NVidia RTX 2070S FE - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - 32GB 3600 CL16 - Samsung 970 EVO NVME

HP Reverb Pro - VKB Gunfighter Mk II + MCG Pro - Virpil Mongoose T-50CM - VKB T-Rudder Pedals

First post here so go easy on me. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents as I'm also considering a 3080 and have given this quite some thought.

There's a relatively easy way to see if a 3080 will make any difference to your DCS VR experience, and it's based on using FPS VR to gage your performance now.

in VR FPS (or frame-times) are based on the lowest value out of the GPU-based frame-times and the CPU-based frame times. I'll use my case as an example, you can extrapolate from there.

Currently using an R5 3600 with an RTX 2070 super FE. Frame times observed on average during gameplay are around 11ms for CPU and 14 or more for GPU depending on graphics settings on an HP Reverb Pro with steam VR SS set to 100% (so lower than native resolution for the Reverb). This is on single player on not particularly heavy missions but serves as an example.

The 3080 benchmarks show it to be about 80% to 90% faster than the 2070s in 4k. So, my GPU-based frame-times should decrease by 80%, meaning they would be 7.8ms. The CPU will then become the bottleneck so the frame times I will be observing will be around 11ms (based on CPU performance) corresponding to around 91fps on average.

I can then use the 3.2ms frame-time headroom on the card to increase the eye candy.

If I had a more powerful GPU and my GPU-based frame-times were already lower than the CPU-based frame-times I'd know there's no point in upgrading as far as DCS VR performance is concerned.

You don't know what the hell you're saying, what's WRONG with you! :D:D

Now that we got that out of the way, welcome aboard to DCS train with VR.

In case you don't know there is an INPUT/OUTPUT thread with VR sub-thread. Just in case you weren't aware.

The cookie trail for it is:

ED Forums » English » DCS World Topics » Input and Output » Virtual Reality

And +1 on VR FPS utility.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You don't know what the hell you're saying, what's WRONG with you! :D:D

Now that we got that out of the way, welcome aboard to DCS train with VR.

In case you don't know there is an INPUT/OUTPUT thread with VR sub-thread. Just in case you weren't aware.

The cookie trail for it is:

ED Forums » English » DCS World Topics » Input and Output » Virtual Reality

And +1 on VR FPS utility.

Oh, I did not know that, time to do some more reading, thanks! :thumbup:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - NVidia RTX 2070S FE - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - 32GB 3600 CL16 - Samsung 970 EVO NVME

HP Reverb Pro - VKB Gunfighter Mk II + MCG Pro - Virpil Mongoose T-50CM - VKB T-Rudder Pedals

Oh, I did not know that, time to do some more reading, thanks! :thumbup:

You got the trolling baptism under fire over and done with! :)

Have fun!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Getting all the advices from above, I have made some changes and it seems improved. But my cpu is still chocking.

Damn that’s a hell of an increase, 60fps to 80 - 90 in VR, 170+ in flat screen. Ok now those are numbers I will be happy with. Out of interest any chance in telling my what tweaks you made. Obviously I’ll have to make similar ones once my card turns up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

OK here is a tip that may help people with high CPU frametime. Check your export.lua in saved games folder and comment out everything (that you don't need). A lot of times it will eliminate CPU frametime stuttering (in VR) and keep your FT in the green zone. This is kind of similar to MSFS2020 simconnect issue, which got resolved quickly.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

How are the people here measuring cpu and cpu frame times ?

Also to the op, could you bring up task manager and take a screenshot? Are there other cpu sucking processes running?

FpsVR

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

170 FPS flat screen and near 80 FPS in VR are good results with your new retest.

Maybe with a bigger CPU you could improve a notch your VR eyecandy. (Or with improved drivers or new DCS engine).

It seems a lot of a difference with 2000 series GPUs (in VR). And that is the suposed improvement of a 3080 in the actual CPU bound DCS: Poor improvements in 1080 flat screen and good ones in VR.

It doesn´t look bad for me and sure it will evolve better with time.

Edit: Have you checked if GPU scheduling is enabled in windows or not?

GPU scheduling is off

Damn that’s a hell of an increase, 60fps to 80 - 90 in VR, 170+ in flat screen. Ok now those are numbers I will be happy with. Out of interest any chance in telling my what tweaks you made. Obviously I’ll have to make similar ones once my card turns up.

I installed process lasso for the retest. Just enabled probalance mode, performance mode.

Then per application settings I make DCS.exe [induce performance mode] and [exclude from probalance]. It is a freemium software. Details of those settings are well written on their official pages. Paying for a monthly subscription is just for QoL option.

How are the people here measuring cpu and cpu frame times ?

Also to the op, could you bring up task manager and take a screenshot? Are there other cpu sucking processes running?

As abovementioned, I used process lasso to make sure there is no other cpu sucking application running.

For all other testing... Please wait... Kinda busy in weekdays :helpsmilie:

The thing is here, that these results are not really any better than mine at the moment with my Reverb on a 2080 Ti. I've tried to match his setting as well.

Now, I may have missed something, but his Vive at 150% is pushing 3.9m pixels, whereas my Reverb at 104% (tried for 100% but...) is 9.7m! Almost 3 times as many.

I'm also assuming he is running on the Free Flight Viper Caucasus.

Where does that leave us?

fpv.jpg.6d873bba48df44c457009d02b846b30f.jpg

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

This thread has me thinking the sweet spot from my 1080ti may be a used RTX 2080ti (If I can find one for less than 600) or the 3080. I just recently got my 1080ti a couple weeks back and while I am happy with the performance bump from the 1080 I upgraded from, I still seek more. Though, it doesn't really seem going with a better GPU will even get me the smooth experience I am seeking.

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

a used RTX 2080ti (If I can find one for less than 600)

That's the best joke I've heard in a while... rdlaugh.png

I guess the 3080 would be jump from my 1080 nonti though. But first I've to replace all the rest which is 9 years old by when I'll be able to do that.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg