[result] rtx 3080 for VR

dg6546

My friend you have your preload radius on 100%, which is choking your ram...

This is what causes your stuttering. For dcs you need at least 32gb.

Also you have your visib range and water on high which completely kills vr performance. put your visib range on medium (so you can still see airfields) and water on low or medium.

I can get smooth 30 fps reprojection on Growling Sidewinders with my rtx 2060. On a higher resolution HMD (1440px1440p WMR headset). And 60 fps on more optimized multiplayer servers.

You can do this too :)

I have upgraded my whole rig just for DCS and it still sucks. I know your feeling. I thought it was all about my rig was not good enough, until I got that FPSVR plugin recently in steam. Then I finally figured it out it was DCS’ game engine problem. As you can see the CPU frametime is bad and those bars under cpu graph is cpu utilization of each core. Only three tall bars in the physical core.

At this time I have basically gave up.

Yes ED is going to update the engine and this should help with VR. This will take some time tho, sims are some of the hardest things to do, so many things going on, bullet trajectory and hits tatectory need to be synced etc.

DCS WAS not build from the ground up for VR use, like the little tiny games in the VR stores. DCS is the hardest things you can do in VR today, it's also the most amazing.

Run msi afterburner perhaps.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

TL;DR: NO DIFFERENCE

Your cpu will still be the biggest bottleneck since DCS cannot utilize all of your cores.

No need to break your bank to buy one until ED decided to implement the new engine.

If you really want a difference, buy a cpu with 90000GHz clock speed. 3 Physical cores without hyperthreading is enough since DCS won't utilize more than that.

Let's not talk about my landing. I am rushed to finish this kek.

Spec:

cpu: i7 8700k @ 4.9Ghz

memory: DDR4 3200MHz 16GBx2

graphics card: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Trinity (Previously 1080ti with watercooling)

um5d22X.png

OK I tried the F18 free flight mission and was getting around the same as you with average FPS at 61.7FPS when I landed.. I only have a 1080GTX I am finding it hard to beleive I am faring as well as a 3080RTX... I set my setttings as yours was so all of that was the same I even had mirrors on..

Have your stressed test your PC with Furmark and a line pack test? Also which nVidia driver are you using? I only have 1 gen ahead of your CPU so that should not make that much of a difference but I noticed in your FPS VR CPU reading was not all in the green as mine was under 11.0 most of the time your was a bit orange?

Hvae you tried a DDU unistall of the video drivers and a fresh reinstall of video drivers?? anytime you put in a new card it is best to wipe out the old drivers and reinstall and remove with DDU when installing a new card.. Perhaps that is your issue as I can not believe we are getting the Same FPS Average..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Isn't there a demonstrated improvement going from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 Ti? If so, how can there be no improvement going from a 1080 Ti to a 3080?

That is what I am trying to determine..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Isn't there a demonstrated improvement going from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 Ti? If so, how can there be no improvement going from a 1080 Ti to a 3080?

Yes, I had a much better experience from 1080Ti to 2080Ti. At the time, I was on 8700K running at 5.1GHz (delid so temp was pretty low). My 1080Ti was AIO so I boosted the speed just a tiny bit, nothing to write home about. And 2080Ti was till better.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

OG vive. 2880 x 1600 pixels combined

It would help if you told use what PD /SS you are using. In the VR thread, someone was having a horrible time with VR only to find out that they were SS and PD'ing (is that a word?)

Also, the good news is that if you were to pick up Reverb, you don't have to SS/PD and you'll have no issues reading the cockpit. As G2 reverb comes out, I imagine you'll be able to pickup G1 at a cheap price.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks for showing us those results.

This may be a silly question and I apologise in advance if it is - but do you get the same results when not recording?

(I'm not sure what recording software you're using, or what black maging you're using to even get a flat image like that in VR and record the 'VR' image as opposed to a desktop image)... but I recently found out that even TacView recording was enough to do significant damage to graphic performance and was just wondering if whatever recording software you're using gives a different result, or similar when you have it disabled?

Hvae you tried a DDU unistall of the video drivers and a fresh reinstall of video drivers?? anytime you put in a new card it is best to wipe out the old drivers and reinstall and remove with DDU when installing a new card.. Perhaps that is your issue as I can not believe we are getting the Same FPS Average..

This! I had a friend who put in a new card some months ago. His framerate was worse in non-VR than mine was in VR with a 1070. I asked him what card he has and saw it should have been faster than mine. Told him to do a driver cleanup and reinstall the driver.

He went from 25fps to well over 60fps after doing that!

Defenately worth a shot!

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

TL;DR: NO DIFFERENCE

Your cpu will still be the biggest bottleneck since DCS cannot utilize all of your cores.

No need to break your bank to buy one until ED decided to implement the new engine.

If you really want a difference, buy a cpu with 90000GHz clock speed. 3 Physical cores without hyperthreading is enough since DCS won't utilize more than that.

Let's not talk about my landing. I am rushed to finish this kek.

Spec:

cpu: i7 8700k @ 4.9Ghz

memory: DDR4 3200MHz 16GBx2

graphics card: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3080 10GB Trinity (Previously 1080ti with watercooling)

OG vive

steamvr supersampling 1.5

um5d22X.png

I dont understand why your CPU frametime is so ... Huge ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

added spec.

I am now very disappointed... If ED won't update their engine, I think my coming reverb G2 will be useless too

+1.

We already know that the new cards have an average of 25/30%(if we're lucky) more performance without dlss/rtx, with dlss they can reach double compared to the same range 2080-3080/2080TI-3090

So stop saying it does "twice" the performance because it's not true.

As dg6546 says, if ED doesn't do a professional job in the code forget about improvements.

The sim has a painful optimization, embarrassing for the current level of graphics.

Stop buying modules and ask to pay for a new core in DCS 3.0.

I know it's unfair, it would be an incorrect policy change but I'm tired of having to wait so long for an updated platform.

I'm getting bored of having a thousand thousand modules and not an ecosystem to be able to fully exploit them.

ED must realize that VR is the future.

Edited by Expert
  • Like 1

I run a lot of settings that the opening poster has but I have 2xMSAA Civ traffic low,all sliders to the right and have better visuals than the test video. Great you have a 3080 I am jealous but some thing is wrong. It is plugged in and your not running on motherboard graphics? thats been done before :)

I would make sure you have no driver issues, BIOS up to date etc. You have a big responsability as the owner of new tech to work it out and keep us informed

Thanks

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1.

I know it's unfair, it would be an incorrect policy change but I'm tired of having to wait so long for an updated platform.

I'm getting bored of having a thousand thousand modules and not an ecosystem to be able to fully exploit them.

LMAO, we just got an updated engine, its a marathon not a sprint as they say.

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I run a lot of settings that the opening poster has but I have 2xMSAA Civ traffic low,all sliders to the right and have better visuals than the test video. Great you have a 3080 I am jealous but some thing is wrong. It is plugged in and your not running on motherboard graphics? thats been done before :)

I would make sure you have no driver issues, BIOS up to date etc. You have a big responsability as the owner of new tech to work it out and keep us informed

Thanks

yep this... i really dont understand whats hogging that CPU and GPU that bad

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

+1.

We already know that the new cards have an average of 25/30%(if we're lucky) more performance without dlss/rtx, with dlss they can reach double compared to the same range 2080-3080/2080TI-3090

As dg6546 says, if ED doesn't do a professional job in the code forget about improvements.

The sim has a painful optimization, embarrassing for the current level of graphics.

+1

I´ve said that before too: VR is the way performance in DCS have to be measured from now onto the future.

+1.

What's ''the future'' is irrelevant in a game engine with ten to fifteen year old roots. It's also not something that can be done cheaply or overnight, it's a years long process, effectively starting over as we've also seen with Vulkan taking years to implement.

You're tired of having to ''wait so long'' regarding a technology that barely existed 1-2 years ago and remains a very small segment? Lol ''Painful optimisation''? It works just fine in 2d, which is what it was designed to do, barring the MMO-lite servers people trying to cram down the game's throat.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

They are working on it. So is the mega dollar MS and their new sim and would like to see how it runs (When Done).

The reason would "generally" be not for us but for ED mil clients with $ that want it for VR training.

Embarrassing compared to what please? (That's as big [sacle], detail, AI as DCS is)

Embarrassing post really. Pay for upgraded core? Small drop in ED's bucket compared to contracts that pay for these updates.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

+1.

According to all of the reviews, the 3080 offers at least an 80% improvement on the performance of the 1080Ti at 4K, sometimes much more (depending on the game).

The OP is using the original Vive with a very low resolution where CPU scaling plays a much bigger role.

There's still a possibility that something is not correctly setup on his system (e.g. drivers), but in any case if he had a HP Reverb instead, the improvement gains would have been much more significant.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

so if you have removed any mods, and made sure that hotplug is switched off autoexec...

you need to have a look and see what background processes are active in windows

I would also make sure that Hyperthreading is turned off in BIOS/UEFI

so if you have removed any mods, and made sure that hotplug is switched off autoexec...

you need to have a look and see what background processes are active in windows

I would also make sure that Hyperthreading is turned off in BIOS/UEFI

As i remember turning off hyperthreading is not a big difference... Maybe test later

According to all of the reviews, the 3080 offers at least an 80% improvement on the performance of the 1080Ti at 4K, sometimes much more (depending on the game).

The OP is using the original Vive with a very low resolution where CPU scaling plays a much bigger role.

There's still a possibility that something is not correctly setup on his system (e.g. drivers), but in any case if he had a HP Reverb instead, the improvement gains would have been much more significant.

Only when not CPU bound. Understand, most AAA games are built around the last generation of consoles: i.e. less CPU than an FX-4100. I imagine DCS would not be happy with one of those, even in the most optimized state.

As i remember turning off hyperthreading is not a big difference... Maybe test later

What is your HMD ?