Neither mission nor mission editor start anymore - pleas help!

joda1994

Hello DCS pilots,

after flying DCS A 10 C for many month without problems, I am actually facing a problem which I could not solve yet. I urgently need help!

The DCS starts normally, but when I choos e.g. a mission or if I want to open the mission editor the whole procedure "freezes" when the "above the clouds" screen appears. After that nothing else happens. I only can exit the programm with the windows task manager.

What I did in order to solve the problem:

(1) I used the Steam file check in order to find out whetehr something is broken / missing, but no success.

(2) I deinstalled the DCS and reinstalled it again --> no success

(3) I deinstalled DCS and Steam and reinstalled it --> no success the problem is still there:cry:

I am getting desperate right now because I am running out of ideas. Your help / advice is highly appreciated!

:helpsmilie:

Thank you,

Joda

Do you use mods, add ons etc.?

I've seen an issue where the Kneeboard builder creates a faulty script, that tries to process for minutes before it fails.

A look into the DCS.log (start bottom up) can show a potential root cause, quickly. If there isn't anything obvious, you can also try renaming (don't delete!It contains all your controls setups) your Saved Games/DCS World folder so DCS creates a new clean on next start (compiling shaders can take longer than normal start, so wait a bit). Then try to launch a quick start mission to check it's working.

From there you can try moving config folders etc. from the renamed into the newly created structure until you identify the problem.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

A better place for this would be the A-10 section in the English part of the forum. ;)

Regarding the problem at hand, I agree that renaming your Saved Games\DCS folder should be the first thing to try.

If that still doesn't work, you could always ignore Steam and download DCS from digitalcombatsimulator.com. It's free, so might be worth a try in any case. If it works okay, you can activate your Steam DLCs in it.

I dont find the Saved Games\DCS Folder. Can you tell me where I can find it?

I Installed Steam and DCS on Drive G:

G:\Steam\Steamapps\common\DCS World\

- API

- Bazar

- Bin

- Config

- CoreMods

- Data

- DemoMods

- Doc

- Dxgui

- FUI

- JConfHtml

- l10n

- LuaSocket

- MissionEditor

- Mods

- Scripts

- Sounds.edc

- WebGUI

and a file dcs_manifest.bin

Typical Windows install: C:/Users/YOUR ACCOUNT NAME/Saved Games/DCS World. This is where your configuration of the controls, own created Missions, screenshots and basic settings reside.

This should not be different for a steam install.

If DCS does not find these folders and settings it creates a new vanilla folder structure as if freshly installed. If it finds it, it uses these settings, files and configuration and if there is something corrupt it still effects the game.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hi all, after several experiments I could solve the problem with your help. The reason, why neither the mission editor nor the missions could be loaded were 2 file directories:

fxo

metashaders2

You can find those files under c:\user\saved games\DCS

I just renamed them (to e.g. xxxxfxo and xxxmetashaders2) and started the game again. Now it took a bit time since the programm has to generate this files new, but then it worked out perfectly again!

Finally I want to thank all of you for your advices and your feedback!

Joda

Hey, that's great to hear, and thanks for letting us know!

I think in most cases the fxo and metashader files should be automatically re-generated by DCS whenever necessary, but I've definitely heard about cases where players needed to force it themselves by deleting these two folders.

I'm pretty sure there's no need to keep backups of these folders. Once "fxo" and "metashaders2" are deleted, DCS will recreate them on the next startup; the startup itself might just be a lot slower this one time. After that, the next start should be back to normal.