Wheel chocks

Bummer

• 2 months later...

+1 Always been surprised that wheel chocks haven't been available for the A10 in the game. Not like they aren't used in real life....

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 3

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, for the A-10 chocks should be a *must*. And for all planes, the most realistic initialization for a cold and dark start should be: canopy closed, chocks on and engine/pitots covers installed and all systems/oxygen off. After that, deploying ladder, placing GPU, or opening canopy (aircrafts without ladder) should remove pitot/engine covers, and then cockpit checks can be initiated.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

Would any self respecting crew chief allow the pilot to get to the aircraft first? A COld and Dark start in reality would have all weapon load safety tag son, covers off, ladder in place, ground power in place, and running and chocks in place. Depending on type Ground air also in place.

Now we have ground crew on the Super Carrier, I'd really like to see a Chief and two Techs on station to assist in starting and removing equipment on command.

• Like 4

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

8 hours ago, Marky146 said:

Would any self respecting crew chief allow the pilot to get to the aircraft first? A COld and Dark start in reality would have all weapon load safety tag son, covers off, ladder in place, ground power in place, and running and chocks in place. Depending on type Ground air also in place.

Now we have ground crew on the Super Carrier, I'd really like to see a Chief and two Techs on station to assist in starting and removing equipment on command.

real world launches is one crew chief.  Only have other shops show up for red balls.

also your description of a launch isn’t correct.  Only gear and seat pins are pulled and power isn’t applied.

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 1

I’d settle for an animated CC that, when told to pull chocks, disappears under the jet for a couple of secs and then comes back out with the chocks over his shoulder, gives you a salute, steps aside and away you go.

It really doesn’t need to be the “dance” you get on the carrier because it’s not that much if a team effort just from parking.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Don’t even care personally about an animated crew chiefs pulling cholks.  Just give me a crew chief to marshal me out of the spot and then back into the spot during recovery.  

Not sure he still has it but I sent Wags the procedures crew chiefs accomplish during launch, recovery, arm EOR and dearm EOR for the A-10C.  Don’t foresee folks wanting to deal with EOR (I know we would in the virtual 476th but don’t think most would) so IMO that isn’t important.

• Like 1

Why stop there??

F1- wake crew

F2- jump out of bed and take a piss

F3- shower

F4- Dress

F5- head to chow hall

F6- up to flight deck

F7- get briefing from person your replacing 

F8- say good morning to crew chief

... Lalt/shift/space/esc/F12- grasp rope on chocks, left wheel...

Just some examples Of what needs to be added for realism and immersion....

I get it, “not airquake” but to what end with all the non essential monkey biz?  

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Chocks very much do have function, keeping the aircraft in place during engine run-up and so on, something that's particularly important when it happens while the INS is aligning. Since you can't move the plane without screwing it up, it would be great if it didn't move if you, say, accidentally bump the throttle lever. Animations and such are just eye candy. 

All of RAZBAM's aircraft have wheel chocks, so does the Viggen. No reason why ED wouldn't make this a standard feature, comms for this are in place in both Russian and English.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, Snoopy said:

real world launches is one crew chief.  Only have other shops show up for red balls.

also your description of a launch isn’t correct.  Only gear and seat pins are pulled and power isn’t applied.

+1

In my limited experience (1990-1996, 2014-current), chocks are *always* placed when arriving aircraft are marshalled into their respective parking spot's. (Unless they are helicopters w/skids obviously)

Not placing chocks on an aircraft, is a serious safety violation, and is grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination. Anything located on an airport ramp area that is equipped with wheels, is required to be chocked and parking brake set (if equipped), when not in use.

This includes trucks, tugs, carts, mobile ladders etc.

Although it's not strictly enforced, if a accident occurs, and the investigation reveals that the incident is a direct result of something not being chocked...the last person to utilize the equipment in question, likely will be terminated. 

So chocks not being placed on a parked aircraft, would have to involve an extraordinary situation, that of which I've not experienced in my 12yrs of working around powered up aircraft.

If surface winds in excess of 15-20kts are expected...aircraft are chocked on each gear wheel. No exceptions.

When military aircrew(s) (i.e fighter/trainer aircraft) return to their mount for departure, they usually pull pins/covers as they conduct their walk-around.

Once walk-around is complete, pins and personal gear are secured, and aircraft ingress begins.

Ejection seats remain 'safed' until taxi/EOR.

Power (external power via Air starter/GPU) is not started until crew have began start-up procedures, and is only applied upon proper notification via hand-signal from the pilot.

Same for power disconnect.

Chocks are the very last thing to be removed from the aircraft (again via pilots hand-signal).

Although it varies with pilot discretion, most often, (from my experience) unless the pilot knows his pre-taxi checks will take longer than usual, chocks are usually not removed until within roughly two minutes(+/-) of pilot taxiing out... 

Edited by =DROOPY=
  • Like 2

Unique aviation images for the passionate aviation enthusiast:

Fb: FighterJetGeek Aviation Images - Home | Facebook

IG: https://www.instagram.com/the_fighterjetgeek/

Aviation Photography Digest: AviationPhotoDigest.com/author/SMEEK9

Not sure anyone is arguing the “use of chocks”. I just wonder if anything other than “apply chocks”. Or “remove chocks” is necessary. Why waste time or computer power animating a cartoon figure going under the plane?  
But only my opinion. Others have their own opinions I guess. 

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

sounds like an interesting mod idea to me. Then folks could use it or not at their discretion. No, I’m not a mod maker.

+1 for at least having the chocks command like the other aircraft though.

Cheers!

Sorry if I got some of the order wrong. I only fly civilian in real world and I remember years ago I had to jump out and put the chocks in and start the GPU and plug it in, then guide the passengers in myself. It was the FA Cup Final after all, so the ground ramp guys were busy......

Nowadays, its very rare indeed to arrive at the aircraft and not for it to be powered up on GPU or fixed Ground based AC. Usually the engineers will have started the APU for air conditioning and to align the INS as well. 

We run a mixed fleet of old and new aircraft, and the APUs on the dinosaurs were quite unreliable so they liked to start them early to give them time to sort issues. Nowadays, its to get system air pressure and AC power on to warm the brewers so they can get a Coffee or Tea before the passengers start boarding.

Back to topic, I agree it's just eye candy to have animations, but the chocks are pretty essential...... 

Edited by Marky146

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish Chocks on always when aircraft spawns on ground, and for cold and dark starts I wish the most expected RL cold and dark situation: ladder deployed, flaps up, slats deployed, Stby ADI properly caged (not intermediate position) Fuel selector  rotary in MAIN, Cabin OPER switch in AUTO, TEMP and FLOW in mid position, and seat in most upper position.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

13 hours ago, Arink429 said:

and for cold and dark starts I wish the most expected RL cold and dark situation: ladder deployed

All around good points!

But with the one quoted here, I figure on a cold and dark start, we've completed the pre-flight walk-around, are now seated in the pit with all the wires and hoses connected and the crew chief back on the ground after helping us with all that stuff, so wouldn't it be plausible that the ladder would have been stowed by the crew chief at that time, without specifically asking our permission?

20 hours ago, Yurgon said:

All around good points!

But with the one quoted here, I figure on a cold and dark start, we've completed the pre-flight walk-around, are now seated in the pit with all the wires and hoses connected and the crew chief back on the ground after helping us with all that stuff, so wouldn't it be plausible that the ladder would have been stowed by the crew chief at that time, without specifically asking our permission?

Well, it depends on when/where you want to be placed. The first thing I do everytime I fly is pressing F2 and perform an external walk around, taking account of: livery, sidenumber, loads, flaps and speedbrake position, chocks and obstacles around and specially behind de engines for start-up. In this scenario, it makes sense the ladder to be deployed. I make my desired changes via ground crew menu, assuming I will find my aircraft in that state, and after that I jump into the pit and start the cockpit preparation check list.

11 hours ago, Arink429 said:

Well, it depends on when/where you want to be placed. The first thing I do everytime I fly is pressing F2 and perform an external walk around, taking account of: livery, sidenumber, loads, flaps and speedbrake position, chocks and obstacles around and specially behind de engines for start-up. In this scenario, it makes sense the ladder to be deployed. I make my desired changes via ground crew menu, assuming I will find my aircraft in that state, and after that I jump into the pit and start the cockpit preparation check list.

You could simply extend the boarding ladder when you first enter the aircraft, prior to pressing F2, to start your walk around.....  Then when you go into the ground crew menu, you could add that you your preflight checklist.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

4 hours ago, Ziptie said:

You could simply extend the boarding ladder when you first enter the aircraft, prior to pressing F2, to start your walk around.....  Then when you go into the ground crew menu, you could add that you your preflight checklist.

Yes, that's what I do actually. I extend ladder and close Oxygen lever, then I go outside for walk around.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Arink429 said:

The first thing I do everytime I fly is pressing F2 and perform an external walk around

Wow, okay, from that perspective it certainly makes sense to have the ladder out.

I just think very few people do that type of pre-flight. Unfortunately we'll always find the aircraft in the exact same state, except for the armament and the fuel, so looking at it from the outside will only tell us that it's in pristine condition.

During start-up there's at least a chance for systems to fail via the Mission Editor so it makes sense to run some of the tests and bits, although this is hardly ever used and also only works in single player. Still, at least some things could fail.

Anyway, it would be great if we got an actual chance to do the pre-flight inspection with a Combined Arms type of soldier or pilot model. It would be even cooler if there could be triggered, scripted or random failures and problems with the jets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yurgon said:

Anyway, it would be great if we got an actual chance to do the pre-flight inspection with a Combined Arms type of soldier or pilot model. It would be even cooler if there could be triggered, scripted or random failures and problems with the jets.

It would also be cool, if Combined Arms actually "worked" with VR 😷

Cheers,

Ziptie

• 7 months later...

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but they really need to implement wheel chocks on all the airframes STARTING with those that do not have the parking brake. My main issue is with prop planes because you actually have to warm up your engine at a certain RPM unless you want it to seize up right after you leave ground, and with I-16, Yak-52 and German props that involves holding the W key throughout all that time. Especially fun in multiplayer where there is no time compression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...