How to determine if my system is CPU or GPU bound?

DutchCoolHand

With the new GPU cards coming out soon I am thinking about upgrading my RTX2070 to the RTX 3080. I run a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU, which I selected before flying in DCS again, I was playing a lot of other games.

To figure out what I should upgrade first how do I determine what my current limitation is. it is just a matter of looking at the performance overview in Windows10? Or are there other tools I should use?

Thanks

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

To figure out what I should upgrade first how do I determine what my current limitation is. it is just a matter of looking at the performance overview in Windows10? Or are there other tools I should use?

I prefer to use the MSI Afterburner utility. If the GPU utilization is over 95% then you are GPU bound and a GPU upgrade would benefit your system. If the GPU usage is less than 95%, then you are processor-bound and should look into a higher single core performance processor (not necesarily a higher core-count)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I use fpsvr. Look at CPU and GPU frametime numbers and also check the smoothness of the graphs. For most modern systems, it will be the GPU limited not CPU. If you see rapid oscillation up and down in CPU frametime it is usually due to overclocking causing instability, and the fix is to ease off on the OC.

With fpsvr and optimal tuning, my CPU frametime is always in the green zone whereas GPU would vary between green and yellow depending on how congested the area is the mission.

In games that are more demanding than DCS, such as MSFS, tuning is even more important in order to get optimal frame rate for your setup.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

fpsvr works great. I fly in VR. For my system with a i-9700K, 32GB, and a 1080 (non ti) card, if I even turn one bell and whistle on the GPU goes in the red zone, the reprojection ratio goes up, fps drops and micro stutters are apparent. This is with a valve index set at 80Mhz. At 90mhz, it's worse.

The CPU on the other hand, doesn't even break out a sweat, normally in the green zone, and sometime spiking briefly in the yellow.

I am so looking forward to a 3080 vid card!

Just enable Motion Reprojection in Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR. Look for the light blue and dark blue squares in the upper left of the display.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228378

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I prefer to use the MSI Afterburner utility. If the GPU utilization is over 95% then you are GPU bound and a GPU upgrade would benefit your system. If the GPU usage is less than 95%, then you are processor-bound and should look into a higher single core performance processor (not necesarily a higher core-count)

AB doesn’t work in VR. fpsVR is the best VR tool, IMO.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks everyone! I will use FPSvr, I remember using it before on steamvr. I run a Rift S now so the motion reprojection is not applicable.

On another note I am blind in my left eye, I wish I could tell my headset to turn the left screen off. My FPS would go up for sure.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

When running DCS it's easy - if you decrease the resolution (which relies on the GPU) and don't get a performance increase, you're probably CPU bound. If you decrease object draw distance and shadows (which rely on the CPU) and don't get a performance increase, you're probably GPU bound.

It's really not as complicated as many make it out to be.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Thanks everyone! I will use FPSvr, I remember using it before on steamvr. I run a Rift S now so the motion reprojection is not applicable.

On another note I am blind in my left eye, I wish I could tell my headset to turn the left screen off. My FPS would go up for sure.

If you're blind in one eye, can I ask why you don't just run a monitor with Track IR? You'll get better image quality than VR? Or is it the in-cockpit feeling of VR that you like, even though you can't experience the 3D effect?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

If you're blind in one eye, can I ask why you don't just run a monitor with Track IR? You'll get better image quality than VR? Or is it the in-cockpit feeling of VR that you like, even though you can't experience the 3D effect?

It is exactly as you describe Gunslinger, I love the feeling of being in the cockpit. after having flow with TrackIR for years, one flight with VR was enough no never want to go back to a flat screen.

I would love to get the MSFS 2020 but I don’t want to go back to a monitor. I am off this week and one of my SSD’s died last night playing COD modern warefare. 1 1/2 years old crucial 500Gb just died, so I am picking up a 1Tb M.2 later this morning, which will give me enough space to get MSFS2020 ..... but I want VR but I want to fly it as it looks so good

You are GPU or CPU bound not by your systems but by your settings. It changes from case to case when you change your settings if you are limited by GPU or CPU (or Tacview)

To make best use of your current hardware use a tool like fpsVR to balance GPU and CPU load (And detect the bad boy in the background as well this way if you are lucky.).

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

It is exactly as you describe Gunslinger, I love the feeling of being in the cockpit. after having flow with TrackIR for years, one flight with VR was enough no never want to go back to a flat screen.

I would love to get the MSFS 2020 but I don’t want to go back to a monitor. I am off this week and one of my SSD’s died last night playing COD modern warefare. 1 1/2 years old crucial 500Gb just died, so I am picking up a 1Tb M.2 later this morning, which will give me enough space to get MSFS2020 ..... but I want VR but I want to fly it as it looks so good

I have it, but spent maybe 15 minutes in it. Just to fly around LGA and see my condo. That's about it. When they release the VR update (timed with Reverb G2, they say) then I'll give another go.

It is very cool though, that they model the real weather in real time.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have it, but spent maybe 15 minutes in it. Just to fly around LGA and see my condo. That's about it. When they release the VR update (timed with Reverb G2, they say) then I'll give another go.

It is very cool though, that they model the real weather in real time.

As I got a bigger ssd today I am downloading it at the moment:music_whistling:

Fun story,I got a second m.2 drive only to find out that my MB does not support a second M.2 drive if you have a Ryzen COU installed. Ok put 1Tb M.2 on the shelf for later and got a 1 Tb SSD.

As I got a bigger ssd today I am downloading it at the moment:music_whistling:

Fun story,I got a second m.2 drive only to find out that my MB does not support a second M.2 drive if you have a Ryzen COU installed. Ok put 1Tb M.2 on the shelf for later and got a 1 Tb SSD.

FYI, I see no difference in DCS performance whether it’s on my m.2 drive or SSD.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

FYI, I see no difference in DCS performance whether it’s on my m.2 drive or SSD.

I clearly saw a difference. I saw a major difference in startup time for windows.

BTW I ran MSFS2020 and it is amazing, I flew out of my home field and it is exactly the same. With my hardware, I can run at high settings and it looks so good every detail. Having flown DCS in VR in the last 15 months I am used to the lower quality of VR but running on a regular screen again the difference is so clear.

But using my TrackIr again to look around is just so archaic compared to VR.

I clearly saw a difference. I saw a major difference in startup time for windows.

I was talking about DCS performance, not Windows start up. There is a huge difference in Windows start up - 2-3 seconds on my M.2 compared to about 10 on my SSD - but not running games like DCS. I had my main DCS installed on my 970, then moved it to my 860 SSD. Couldn’t see any difference.