So what's your critical opinion on the new map

twistking

• 2 weeks later...

Having flown Syria now for a couple of months, I'd say it is the ugliest map I own. 😞  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just doesn't hold up to PG, NTTR, or even Caucasus in appearance in my opinion. Don't get me wrong: Syria is the most AMAZINGLY detailed map in all of DCS... and a HUGE achievement from that aspect. It just doesn't look as good to my eye. The textures (set to the highest possible) just don't look good to me, on the terrain and on structures. The colors seem more 'cartoonish' than the other maps as well. Again, it's hard to put a finger on... and this is certainly my opinion as I know many other think it's the best map. 

Maybe the other maps that I own are more optimized to the non-use of MSAA (I use '0' as I play at full 4K) than Syria? I'll never know as Syria+4K+MSAA+gtx1070=not happening. 🙂

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Best looking map no doubt, performance is the worse but flying helos low to the ground seem to be fine with my system (i7-6700k,gtx970,16gb ram, 1080p high settings) 

But some missions with a lot of stuff happening in fixed winged aircraft such as the f/a-18 are totally unplayable because of the stutters. 

Some other are totally fine though so I don't know what's really happening. 

It's really the stutters that can sometimes be gamebreaking. The fps doesn't seem to play unrealistically worse than the other maps. 

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

I had absolutely no intention of buying this map as i've got a number of modules that are all in EA, and subsequently (and understandably) they have their issues. It feels like it takes forever for them to become solid releases so I thought I would give no more money to ED until some of the modules I have already invested in are finished 100%.

However, having taken the opoortunity to install and play on the Syria map over the last couple of days in the free play period, I think it's the best map and I am happy to pay to get it. I was worried about performance, but I feel its at least as good as PG if not better and looks stunning vs PGs desert features.

Well done Ugra.

• Like 1

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I will probably get it after I get familiar with the Hind, and it goes on some kind of sale. I don't pay full price for any of the maps, no way. They are simply not worth it. It looks like an interesting map for sure, and since it includes some of the most varied landscapes in the middle-east I think it will be worth it when it hits a discount of some kind. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 12/30/2020 at 6:04 PM, parxuk said:

but I feel its at least as good as PG if not better 

Certainly not for me. PG runs quite a bit smoother than Syria... but I only have a 1070 gpu and play at full 4K. Syria doesn't feel nearly as well optimized as ED's in house maps.

• Like 1

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I have only done couple dozen familiarization flights on the map and I am waiting the new weather engine to get it going on.

I as well minimized the flying with all maps in the last quarter of the 2020 because I was hoping to see the new weather engine before Christmas, or at least new clouds.

This because the weather engine is critical component for the graphics/visuals and with current old engine it is boring to always go for the sunset or sunrise moments to get some contrast and dynamic shadows going on.

I think that there is something in the colors that is off, but it is about so high visibility settings.

The "smog" and such dust effects are difficult to set in editor, and I think that Syria suffers more than some others about lack of clutter. I am yet to even search answer how to get the trees drawn further distance as it is annoying to see them popping up at ultra visibility range.

I am waiting maybe a texture mods, that I would be waiting for the Nevada and Persian Gulf, as those are boring as what....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I’ve spent hundreds of hours in the syria map and I must say it is amazing. It is greatly detailed and varied. I only wish they’d have fixed the AI pathfinding problem in those plantations/fields that cover basically the entire map by now. Breaks every mission that involves ground units that move.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 6:45 PM, wilbur81 said:

Having flown Syria now for a couple of months, I'd say it is the ugliest map I own. 😞  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just doesn't hold up to PG, NTTR, or even Caucasus in appearance in my opinion. Don't get me wrong: Syria is the most AMAZINGLY detailed map in all of DCS... and a HUGE achievement from that aspect. It just doesn't look as good to my eye. The textures (set to the highest possible) just don't look good to me, on the terrain and on structures. The colors seem more 'cartoonish' than the other maps as well. Again, it's hard to put a finger on... and this is certainly my opinion as I know many other think it's the best map. 

Maybe the other maps that I own are more optimized to the non-use of MSAA (I use '0' as I play at full 4K) than Syria? I'll never know as Syria+4K+MSAA+gtx1070=not happening. 🙂

I sort of get what you mean, I look at the textures and they can look a bit repetitive and artificial particularly hills. And the growing trees are still a big disappointment for me. I'm not sure if this is made worse because of using VR, I know increasing load distance made no difference to the visual appearance for me. The airfields, well that is something else they are the most detailed and convincing of any I have ever seen in any sim, amazing. I hope they keep improving it, PG is still my favourite DCS map for now.    

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 3 weeks later...

This map is with out a doubt the best map in the game for now.    I have every maps  and like all off them and use most all the time.   I use the Nevada map the most because of training scenario's..       However the Syria map has a special aura about it..    

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

not yet

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Cant say Ive seen anything one way or the other on it.  Given Caucaus is the only map to implement seasons I think its a ways off regardless 

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Even though I still really like the Syria map. The total and complete silence from Urga, is disappointing (to put it very mildly)

We, the community, have done a lot to adequately report bugs and issues, but (and please correct me if I missed something) I can't remember to have seen any proper response, nor fixes from Ugra since its release a few months ago.

I mean, common, at least have the decency to read our reports and mark them "acknowledged" or something...

Some of the issues are pretty serious. RAM usage, to name one.. (ok, that one has been tagged "investigating")

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 3:15 AM, wilbur81 said:

Agreed.

+1 here.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 2/4/2021 at 11:58 AM, sirrah said:

Even though I still really like the Syria map. The total and complete silence from Urga, is disappointing (to put it very mildly)

We, the community, have done a lot to adequately report bugs and issues, but (and please correct me if I missed something) I can't remember to have seen any proper response, nor fixes from Ugra since its release a few months ago.

I mean, common, at least have the decency to read our reports and mark them "acknowledged" or something...

Some of the issues are pretty serious. RAM usage, to name one.. (ok, that one has been tagged "investigating")

This is becoming more annoying by the day. There are 4 pages of topics in the bugs section that have been unanswered. Apparently there is no expectation from ED to 3rd party developers to interact with the community and respond to reports🤨

Syria is best combat map, ultra detailed and runs great compared to the channel map which runs like crap at same exact settings.  Best thing about Syria map is all the fighting positions on the map, the border details and on and on.  Look forward to additions and updates as time goes on.

ps the devs do not speak English and Bignewy is doing the comms as he stated on discord and another thread.  

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S