Tomcat FAQ - pls give us your input

IronMike

Not quite. VF-1 and VF-2's -70GRs lacked the nose probe, had different gun gas vents, and a completely different aft fuselage from the -80GR and beyond, including the -90GR that was delivered to Iran. We're still quite a few details away from a first cruise Tomcat. Shame, too, but if they were only going to give us one version of the F-14A, I think they picked the correct one.

Yeah, true. I guess i could pass of the TCS for the IRST tho and slap on a VF-1 or VF-2 skin and roll with that>

We're supposed to get the bullet fairing for the TCS, that I believe is locked on and had been said more than once.

To me it seemed a no-brainer that if they were already in there adding the bullet fairing variant, doing the completely TCS-less version would make sense and tie all 3 to a custom animation argument. But, we will have to see what they end up deciding. Maybe down the road it could be done as bigger things are completed. As random model innacuracies are pointed out, and maybe as ED keeps introducing/changing model features they will take another look at it later on.

Also I believe the deal with the Iranian F-14s was that they would have been compatible with the AIM-7Fs and AIM-9Ls that US Tomcats had, but the shipments were halted due to the revolution and never arrived.

Thus, the Iranians had older AIM-7E and AIM-9J stocks that simply weren't compatible with the WCS they received, if the Iranian Colonel's interview is accurate. So during the Iran-Iraq War they only had Phoenix and the gun, and used a few Hawk missiles late in the war.

I think it would be cool and somewhat hilarious to implement the Hawk using some basis of the AIM-7's guidance system. I'm not sure if we can properly mod it in because you'd have to make sure the Hawk had the right reference points to sit on the Tomcat's wing glove hardpoints. Likely very low on the priorities to make it happen but would be interesting to see. The original Hawk missiles had a 16 mile engagement range and later B variants are listed at 22 miles, but those figures are probably for a ground firing. An aircraft at speed and altitude could probably extend that range significantly. Peak velocity is listed as 1,600 fps, which again at higher altitudes and launch speeds might be even greater.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Not sure if this would go here or another thread, but Jester BFM callouts... what is the logic for those? If I am wings level then "5 o'clock low" makes sense. What about if I am rolled 80 degrees? What is I am inverted and nose down? Are the callouts horizon referenced (5-Low always means ~ 150 degrees right of the nose when viewed from space and lower in altitude) or "plane of the plane" referenced (5-low always means way over your right shoulder and on the ventral side of the aircraft)?

We're supposed to get the bullet fairing for the TCS, that I believe is locked on and had been said more than once.

To me it seemed a no-brainer that if they were already in there adding the bullet fairing variant, doing the completely TCS-less version would make sense and tie all 3 to a custom animation argument. But, we will have to see what they end up deciding. Maybe down the road it could be done as bigger things are completed. As random model innacuracies are pointed out, and maybe as ED keeps introducing/changing model features they will take another look at it later on.

Also I believe the deal with the Iranian F-14s was that they would have been compatible with the AIM-7Fs and AIM-9Ls that US Tomcats had, but the shipments were halted due to the revolution and never arrived.

Thus, the Iranians had older AIM-7E and AIM-9J stocks that simply weren't compatible with the WCS they received, if the Iranian Colonel's interview is accurate. So during the Iran-Iraq War they only had Phoenix and the gun, and used a few Hawk missiles late in the war.

I think it would be cool and somewhat hilarious to implement the Hawk using some basis of the AIM-7's guidance system. I'm not sure if we can properly mod it in because you'd have to make sure the Hawk had the right reference points to sit on the Tomcat's wing glove hardpoints. Likely very low on the priorities to make it happen but would be interesting to see. The original Hawk missiles had a 16 mile engagement range and later B variants are listed at 22 miles, but those figures are probably for a ground firing. An aircraft at speed and altitude could probably extend that range significantly. Peak velocity is listed as 1,600 fps, which again at higher altitudes and launch speeds might be even greater.

The F-14s were delivered straight from Grumman AIM-54 compatable only. They couldn't have used AIM-7F or AIM-9L even if Iran had received those weapons. The work to incorporate those items on the jets was to be done in Iran. The Sidewinder implementation was quickly done- Sparrow work was slower.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Perhaps have Jester do a bit more talking in the back? Or set this as an option in case people don’t want him chatting away. I find Jester adds quite an immersive and different experience compared to other modules and I think there’s a lot of untapped potential with Jester to get him updating us on situational awareness etc, from the perspective of playing as a single player.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Thank you for all your input guys, but please remember, we are collecting questions you would like to see in the general FAQ, not as much suggestions to the module, although of course we read those, too, and as always take them on board.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Will the F-14A that we get, get access to AIM-7E4 and AIM-9Ns? As the F-14 came out with the AIM-7E4 and used it for several months till the AIM-7F and used the AIM-9N in Operation Frequent Wind? And that despite the A we are getting is a 1989+ version could we still see these weapons?

we'll try, it depends if we can make them available, but I think we should be able to. we defo want this ourselves, so we'll see. if not right away from the start at least at some point.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

Some comparison for how the Phoenix behaves in game vs how it behaved IRL/should behave in game would be good. A more in-depth discussion of the general "magic INS" (whatever that means) thing that people keep bringing up should also be included. I will add to this post if I think of more.

Very good question. Especially related to the loss of tracks and the ghost tracks. Will a ghost track result in the immediate loss of the missile once it behaves correctly? If so, then perhaps we should we start practicing STT shots exclusively, especially against maneuvering targets. I know, not an easy task, especially because right now, it seams like the missile is more easily trashed when guided in STT then in TWS (possibly something to do with bandit behavior). Note, the lock is not an issue, as with proper maneuvers one can actually get quite a stable lock, even more so over the ocean, but the missile has a sweet tooth for CM it would seam.

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Just to be clear guys, and I thank you very much for your input, but the FAQ is meant as a general FAQ, not reflecting recent bugs or tactical advice etc... It will be an overview for newcomers, is all. But, nonetheless, list your thoughts, I am taking these on board as well.

Heatblur Simulations

I was curious on the features that are yet to come to the F-14B. I know we are going to get the digital engine gauges, but I was just curious what else there is. I know the PTID and B Upgrade is out the window, along with the F-14D idea that many people have. Is the implementation of the TCS aerdyn. cover a thing? That would mean you have to make the TCS switch and TID mode inoperable, to an extent. What about the AIM-54C+? With how classified that is, along with the 54C ECCM Sealed, I would imagine that is in the same state as the 14D and PTID stuff. One thing I am curious about is the record function in the RIO pit. Maybe have that actually export footage of the HUD/TID/TCS to a folder, if it's turned on. Also, is the E-2 datalink priorities ever going to move from just being the closest 8 datalink contacts? This has been a problem within my squadron a bit, where we have 20+ aircraft within 30 miles, and bandits hot at 40.

Edited by BreaKKer

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

we'll try, it depends if we can make them available, but I think we should be able to. we defo want this ourselves, so we'll see. if not right away from the start at least at some point.

Cool! Also my mistake they're using AIM-9Hs when it first saw service during Operation Frequent Wind not Ns coz the N was USAF.

8d65101b972c5475e8f205028ebf6cd1.jpg

aim_9_sidewinder_family_by_akelafreedom_dbchk0l-fullview.png?width=770&height=301

I was curious on the features that are yet to come to the F-14B. I know we are going to get the digital engine gauges, but I was just curious what else there is. I know the PTID and B Upgrade is out the window, along with the F-14D idea that many people have. Is the implementation of the TCS aerdyn. cover a thing? That would mean you have to make the TCS switch and TID mode inoperable, to an extent. What about the AIM-54C+? With how classified that is, along with the 54C ECCM Sealed, I would imagine that is in the same state as the 14D and PTID stuff. One thing I am curious about is the record function in the RIO pit. Maybe have that actually export footage of the HUD/TID/TCS to a folder, if it's turned on. Also, is the E-2 datalink priorities ever going to move from just being the closest 8 datalink contacts? This has been a problem within my squadron a bit, where we have 20+ aircraft within 30 miles, and bandits hot at 40.

EIG mainly, aerodyn cover will be for the IRIAF version iirc. TCS wont be available for the Iranian version.

C+ is a no indeed for the reasons you mentioned.

The recording function is a good idea, please remind me about that again, if we will forget. It will have to come towards the end though.

The datalink to our knowledge was limited with 8 contacts for the Tomcat, which is why we implemented it like it is. :)

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

EIG mainly, aerodyn cover will be for the IRIAF version iirc. TCS wont be available for the Iranian version.

The recording function is a good idea, please remind me about that again, if we will forget. It will have to come towards the end though.

The datalink to our knowledge was limited with 8 contacts for the Tomcat, which is why we implemented it like it is. :)

Speaking of data link,manual say:

In Link 4C the participating aircraft shares up to 4 target tracks, selected by the RIO using the CAP as well as own aircraft position.

how to select share targets,4C is still show max 8 contacts on TID?(never tried it)

thanks.

I7-4790K | RTX2070 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | 24G DDR3 | 東芝 TOSHIBA HG5d M.2 256GB SSD | Q200 EX

how to select share targets,4C is still show max 8 contacts on TID?(never tried it)

thanks.

iirc it will only show four. You can tell Jester to select fighter to fighter link. I presume that is what you meant.

Heatblur Simulations

Is that to be taken that you will not be modeling the removed TCS housing as correctly used on IRIAF and non TCS equipped Cats through the 80s? We're only getting the bullet housing?

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]