Mission 14 - Question/Problem

Strider21

I have question about Mission 14. I flew the mission and got about 40mins into it. When I reached WP4 we check in with the AWACS. The S-3 and other flights of F/A-18 climb to about 3000'. I climb to stay in formation past WP4 and then when we get the code word the mission is scrubbed.

After WP4 is the player supposed to stay below 1000' AGL? When I climbed with the other formations did I hit the trigger to scrub the mission? Across the gulf I stayed at about 900' AGL right behind the S-3.

Likewise in the brief, we energize our radars past WP3 to avoid maritime traffic? But he S-3 and other flights do not avoid any of the ships.Is the player supposed to avoid ships using the radar or fly formation on the S-3 (Tron 51)?. If we are flying form on the S-3 why do the hornets need their radar on?

Anyway if anyone has any tips or thoughts on getting past this. I am hesitant to fly another 40 mins to inadvertently trigger a mission scrub again until I understand what I did wrong.

I have question about Mission 14. I flew the mission and got about 40mins into it. When I reached WP4 we check in with the AWACS. The S-3 and other flights of F/A-18 climb to about 3000'. I climb to stay in formation past WP4 and then when we get the code word the mission is scrubbed.

After WP4 is the player supposed to stay below 1000' AGL? When I climbed with the other formations did I hit the trigger to scrub the mission? Across the gulf I stayed at about 900' AGL right behind the S-3.

Likewise in the brief, we energize our radars past WP3 to avoid maritime traffic? But he S-3 and other flights do not avoid any of the ships.Is the player supposed to avoid ships using the radar or fly formation on the S-3 (Tron 51)?. If we are flying form on the S-3 why do the hornets need their radar on?

Anyway if anyone has any tips or thoughts on getting past this. I am hesitant to fly another 40 mins to inadvertently trigger a mission scrub again until I understand what I did wrong.

If you are auto starting in the beginning, the radar gets turned on during the process. I ran into this, and basically had to auto-spam the keys to turn the radar off, and managed to do it timely enough not to trip that flag.

The other thing I stopped doing was turning on the radar after WP3- I waited until I got the code-word to go ahead with the mission. Don't know if that made a difference or not.

Last but not least, made sure I stayed a little below the minimum posted altitude for each segment, which are listed on the kneeboard cards. It took me a few tries but I finally got the 'go' instead of the 'scrub.'

jmarso,

Thanks for your thoughts. I did a normal start so the radar was in Standby until I hit WP3. I might try the mission again keeping the radar off until the codeword, as you mentioned. Not sure if that what is triggering the scrub.

I'd recommend leaving the radar 'off', just to be safe.

Radar on past waypoint 3 is fine.

From waypoint 3 to 4 climb to 2500 and no higher. 4 to 5 you can hit 5000.

Don't fly in formation with the other F-18 group, your flight should be slightly in front and to the left of them per the briefing. Usually give them a mile or two.

Flew the mission several times, never got scrubbed.

There are two things that may go wrong: staying too high (basically above 1000 feet AGL from) when you get feet wet to when you are supposed to dump fuel in order to tell other flights to turn radar on. And powering your radar too early (usually during startup and not turning it off later). Once you do these things OK, you will be golden and allowed to continue with the mission.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

There are two things that may go wrong: staying too high (basically above 1000 feet AGL from) when you get feet wet to when you are supposed to dump fuel in order to tell other flights to turn radar on. And powering your radar too early (usually during startup and not turning it off later). Once you do these things OK, you will be golden and allowed to continue with the mission.

:mad::mad::mad:

Just found this myself. It must have been during the autostart.

Probably (yet another) DCS limitation, but with weight on wheels, the radar isn't energized anyway. So it shouldn't matter if it's in the OPR position temporarily during start up or not.

Is it possible to amend the trigger such that, if the radar is in OPR after takeoff, then the trigger is met?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

Have a question about target coordinates for this mission (note that I haven't updated to the most recent OB yet and still on 2.5.6.54046):

The briefing provides coordinates for FACILITY in imprecise format Degrees/Minutes/Seconds: N284640 E540245

The kneeboard provides coordinates for AIMPOINT in precise format Degrees/Minutes/Seconds/Hundredths of seconds: N284636.08 E540251.40

Am I right that I should use precise coordinates for AIMPOINT from the kneeboard? What elevation should I use as it's not specified either in kneeboard or briefing?

I'm asking because I had troubles finding target via FLIR (without proper elevation I had nothing to do other than set 0 ft) and while I was trying to look around I got hit by SA-2.

UPDATE: I finished this mission successfully, but what I had to do is: go to Mission Editor, find provided coordinates for the AIMPOINT on PG map and get elevation, which is: 4626ft

Edited by lester

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

• 2 weeks later...
Have a question about target coordinates for this mission (note that I haven't updated to the most recent OB yet and still on 2.5.6.54046):

The briefing provides coordinates for FACILITY in imprecise format Degrees/Minutes/Seconds: N284640 E540245

The kneeboard provides coordinates for AIMPOINT in precise format Degrees/Minutes/Seconds/Hundredths of seconds: N284636.08 E540251.40

Am I right that I should use precise coordinates for AIMPOINT from the kneeboard? What elevation should I use as it's not specified either in kneeboard or briefing?

I'm asking because I had troubles finding target via FLIR (without proper elevation I had nothing to do other than set 0 ft) and while I was trying to look around I got hit by SA-2.

UPDATE: I finished this mission successfully, but what I had to do is: go to Mission Editor, find provided coordinates for the AIMPOINT on PG map and get elevation, which is: 4626ft

Ideally you'd use the provided coordinates to get you in the ballpark, then using FLIR, you'd identify the intended target, and set it using flir in point track mode.

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

1. Find your logbook (C:\Users\User_Name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\MissionEditor) file.

2. Open it with text editor (I'd strongly suggest to use Notepad ++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/)

3. Make the backup of the Logbook

4. Scroll down to Raven One campaign entry.

5. Under ["fileList"] find the highest bracketed number - this is where you have to make your edit to progress

6. Change mission name under ["mission"] to "R1 M##.miz", or "R1 M##.miz", depending where do you want to progress to. You may want to also change the result of the previous mission to 100 (it will be something low, so it's better to fix your score).

7. Save and close - you should be good to go.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks Panther, I see the missions are listed sequentially so must I follow this pattern? In other words, I could NOT just alter the labled 1 and alter it to 4. I would have to have 4 separate entries from 1 through 4 to progress to 4.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I would think changing 1 to 4 should start it off at 4. I could be wrong, I’m not exactly sure how dcs reads the logbook. It appears to me it only reads the last entry.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 1:50 PM, baltic_dragon said:

So. I'm a bit confused. When are we suppose to dump fuel, turn radar on and start pulling up?

I stayed at 800-900 feet AGL, radar to OFF (didn't turn it on at all until this point)

Briefing says after W3 (kneeboard says climb at W6), but when I do this (between W3 and W4) I immediatly get THUNDERSTORM abort code.

Thanks for your help and hard work, btw. Great campaign. Very fun and challenging.

Edited by 5e EVC Chappy

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.