Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

This thread should have been a poll with no comments.

But then how would people have been able to declare the decadence and doom of DCS because it is not being played in The One True Way™?

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I never, never, never, ever, Autostart my aircraft.

Always, hot runway/air starts. :doh:

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I tend to do coldstarts every time, but that's because I like learning the procedure even though I'll never get to use it in real life.

I also don't care if others autostart. It retracts absolutely nothing from my experience if others do or don't what so ever, and I really don't give two dead, flat hoots about the option being there. It's there out of convenience for those that wants to use it, and annoyance to silly tosspots with a superiority-complex.

Basically: You do you, let others do themselves. It's no skin off your back that others do or don't use autostart.

+1

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I don’t care what people do offline or in coop but I mean it does affect you in pvp because if the option wasn’t there people would forget things or not be able to do them. Try going into a dogfight without remembering to turn on your radar or turn on your RWR. I’ve forgotten to do those things and it’s cost me. I get that it’s a game it just seems silly to me that people can master the process of bringing the jet and all it’s systems to life or you can get shot down by someone that can’t be bothered because they used a short cut. I’m sure a lot of the same people don’t don’t create waypoints or flight plans in their aircraft but use the mission editor for everything. So many people are constantly complaining about missing features and missing items but it’s like you guys don’t use the features in the jets already so what’s the point lol. I also work 50 hours a week and have a wife and 4 month old and I don’t feel like cold starting an aircraft is taking away noticeable amounts of time. It’s just a game and none of this matters anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have the option to use or not use it just like anybody else. And even in the Hornet or Mirage for example you still have to manually turn on RWR and countermeasures after an auto-start. It doesn't do it for you.

See now, a thread in the wishlist section asking for the ability to disable auto-start on MP servers, and then hosting your own server with the feature disabled, with no FC3 aircraft, and whatever rules you want makes sense and I'm behind that 100% even if that might mean your server doesn't get the traffic of others out there. Options are always good.

But feeling like you're at a disadvantage because you choose not to use it when the option is there? I'm finding myself quite unsympathetic. The most popular servers all feature a mix of FC3 level and full fidelity pits.. and by the time I'm I'm combat, the experience between them aren't that far off from each other, as I'm pressing buttons on my hotas or mfd's, or my g13. Additional steps for dumping fuel tanks maybe, but if I'm going to do that I'm doing it before I'm in missile range. This includes the M2000C where I have manual started and only gone halfway through alignment to get a correct heading because it's faster than auto-start and I have a wingman who wants to get off the ground. I know folks who like to fly DCS that never post on forums that will use quick INS alignment and auto-start whenever available because they really just want to get up in the air and blow away ground and air targets. Can't fault them for it either. They have other things to do most of the day.

I'm still going with mountain out of a molehill. Here's a pic of my pit.. tell me some more about how much I'm missing out on by bypassing the startup sequence. Heck I'm half tempted to order an F-16 UFC to put between my MFD's if I can convince myself it will also suit me for the Hornet. Trying to do so in VR might get confusing though. There is sooo much more to DCS than the startup sequence.

MVIMG_20200912_035201.thumb.jpg.f023306410416c975a1b89384c3dd5a0.jpg

We want to talk about advantages in MP? How about that Tomcat Jester AI telling you when targets are in front of you.. or "Bandit 2 O'clock High" or "he's on our 6". Guy has eagle vision and an owl's neck. >.< Should we make a human RIO a requirement?

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

It would make sense to have auto start as a server option. I figured it already was. Enforcing extra time to “respawn” makes players fight a bit more cautiously and realistic.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

The competitive multiplayer aspect of combat flight simulators is...in a way... the worse thing that ever happened to them.

IMHO regarding autostart: Doesn't matter if I personally do them or not. I consider an autostart feature as a core component of any flight simulator. There must be a means for a completely new user to have a functioning aircraft with a running engine ready for immediate flight. Even if it's not otherwise configured correctly.

DCS can accomplish this with the runway takeoff option, but the autostart script is identical, and similar in function to how other simulators operate.

The AJS37 takes all of 5 steps to start, but for years lacked an autostart. I've never used, and will never use the autostart for that aircraft. But my opinion is that it must have one. Must.

It makes players go to other servers where they can spend their time more rationally

And then use the taxiway to take off too :doh:

Auto starting doesn’t save you any time either so that rationale doesn’t make sense.

Why not just create an air start instant action server?

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Auto starting doesn’t save you any time either so that rationale doesn’t make sense.

Yes it does, as has been explained many times now. You just can't be bothered having an informed opinion.

Why not just create an air start instant action server?
Because you don't have the infrastructure and audience to run the 30+ player dynamic campaigns that you enjoy? Again, utterly trivial to figure out.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Headwarp.............WHAT! No Boots!!!! Blasphemy!

I'm afraid such requests come with a fee. :smilewink:

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Manual Start. I flick many important switches. Therefore I am superior to him. vvv.

Autostart. I flick one important switch, therefore I am inferior to him ^^^, but superior to him. vvv.

Hot start. I don't flick any switches. I know my place. (The Class Sketch 1966).

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Manual Start. I flick many important switches. Therefore I am superior to him. vvv.

Autostart. I flick one important switch, therefore I am inferior to him ^^^, but superior to him. vvv.

Hot start. I don't flick any switches. I know my place. (The Class Sketch 1966).

Why do you think guys who do the manual start feel superior? What a warped way to look at people.

I do manual starts because I like it and it feels immersive. No other reason. I could care less what others do.

Buzz

Missed one:

In-air start. I make missions, and without me none of the above would have any content to play with, I am therefore superior to them all. :D

I know this is gonna be contentious but who here uses auto start? I literally never use it for any aircraft because I feel like it defeats the purpose of playing a game like this. If I want to auto start I’ll go play arma or ace combat or something. I love bringing the jet and it’s systems to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both, depending on what I have going on. Sometimes I will perform autostart and walk away to do something else. When I am absorbed in the sim, or taking off to splash bandits, I perform a cold start to expedite wheels up.

I write my own lua to customize my autostart to be the quickest possible and to setup my avionics the way I like it.

Pretend that you told your ground chief to do it just the way you like or you won’t go out drinking with him to the O club

I love auto start when I’m hungry, but I don’t think my warthog throttle likes the crumbs:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Always auto start or ramp hot start. I've spent enough time doing checklists for real and this is the most boring part of any flight, real or simulated. So have no desire to replicate that boredom some more. If I could have had the Crew Chief start the jet and have it warmed up, with the cockpit A/C on icy on a hot day before I arrived and I could just jump in and go - I would have kissed his/her feet.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with those folks who want to go through the entire process. More power to you. But it's just not my thang anymore.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Why do you think guys who do the manual start feel superior? What a warped way to look at people.

I do manual starts because I like it and it feels immersive. No other reason. I could care less what others do.

Looks like, satire, has passed you by.

Missed one:

In-air start. I make missions, and without me none of the above would have any content to play with, I am therefore superior to them all. :D

Quite!

I only ever make missions.

As you know, this involves repetative re-starts. Most of mine will be air starts or hot starts, maybe hundreds of times. There's no other way to do it.

It's up to each individual how they play their own game.

There's no right or wrong way.