Who auto starts their aircraft

CBenson89

Auto or cold depends on how I feel at the time.

This has nothing to do with my expertise as a Sim Pilot and does not affect my experience in any way.

Whatever floats your boat!

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Op, what do you wish to get out of the kind of query you're asking?

It's a personal preference, it depends on the situation, airframe, bodily needs, how long I've been at the office. Etc and so forth.

Right now while training I do manual, but I do autostartup quite often in MP because then I can have a short break from the screen.

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Depends. Manual start if it's quicker, autostart otherwise. I'll always go through a manual start a couple of times first with a fresh module for familiarity with systems.

To me DCS is a combat flight simulator, not a cockpit switch position simulator, but if people want to do manual starts then that's great as well.

I'm surprised none of the usual suspects have turned up to demand that the autostart function is removed, because of Realism :D

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

I know this is gonna be contentious but who here uses auto start? I literally never use it for any aircraft because I feel like it defeats the purpose of playing a game like this. If I want to auto start I’ll go play arma or ace combat or something. I love bringing the jet and it’s systems to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know one air force pilot who plays DCS, and he prefers air starts. There is a lot more to the fidelity of DCS than the rampstart procedure.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Always auto-start, and then accelerate time so it's done in a minute or so.

As I've stated elsewhere, I fly for a living. DCS, for all it's 'realism', is a game, and I play games for enjoyment. For me personally, sitting for 20-30 minutes running through checklists, startup, systems checks, bit checks, etc is not a 'fun' thing to do. So I don't do it, and am thankful for the option not to. If manual starting was a requirement for the game, I wouldn't play it.

For most missions, I'm happiest starting on the catapult, ready to salute and go with minimal pre-launch hassle.

I know all the startup procedures so well that they are basically “auto starts” for me. So there’s no difference.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Manual start when wanted to have fun to do the procedure for learning or training. Start in air or hot when repeating tactics etc. And autostart or stop when tired to do rearming phase...

It all nicely depends from many things. When ejected or killed, manual start to remind the stupid things are not wise...

Really appreciate the process to do the manual startup and shutdown processes wrong or right way.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

MY favorite ride has no Auto start jajaja but ist very simple.. the A-4E.

Like others said it depends on the ocasion: on full real full blown squad missions I do manual start, on MP servers Auto, so I have time to check other stuff like targets, frequencies, etc...

I'm surprised none of the usual suspects have turned up to demand that the autostart function is removed, because of Realism :D

Here we are, the Realistic Police, and we demand moving auto start into game mode. We have other means to start flying quick and easy: hot start and air start, as in you decide when and where the simulation begins.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Yes, there is but you don't miss them by doing a proper start.

When you have done hundreds or thousands what is the point?

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

When you have done hundreds or thousands what is the point?
You can say that about anything, in video game/sim. Haven't you dropped enough bombs or fired enough missiles and gun rounds? Why do you keep doing it?

I like doing cold starts and I always prefer to start that way. It's actually faster than auto-start is and helps me remember what everything in the cockpit is, does and where it is. Like others have said, cold starts are part of the DCS experience for me.

That said, if I'm testing something or training something specific, like carrier landings, I might go for an air start.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It keeps me honest if I forget to turn on my RWR or move my radar from standby to operate and it gets me killed it’s something to learn from. I guess. I just feel like why play a sim if you’re not gonna sim? I also have people I play with that don’t know crap about their aircraft and they just auto start and go and are constantly asking questions maybe their laziness has tainted how I feel about it idk. It’s just a game at the end of the day to each their own.

I hardly ever auto start, but as I don't always have a lot of spare time, I sometimes use hotstart

Funny thing though:

I'm working on a F-18 mission right now in the ME and for testing purposes I used the auto-start option. I noticed that if I manually start-up, apart from the INS alignment, I'm much MUCH faster (obviously not by doing it all according the book :P)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

It keeps me honest if I forget to turn on my RWR or move my radar from standby to operate and it gets me killed it’s something to learn from. I guess. I just feel like why play a sim if you’re not gonna sim? I also have people I play with that don’t know crap about their aircraft and they just auto start and go and are constantly asking questions maybe their laziness has tainted how I feel about it idk. It’s just a game at the end of the day to each their own.

Do you think that simulator sessions irl include start ups and shut downs? The whole point of simulators is to save time and money, every thing that is not important for a session is skipped. Why do you have problem people using DCS like it's a real simulator?

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Always an autostart. Never did a manual start, no interest in it. I have too much going on,all competing for my time and there's no way I'm going to be able to learn & retain the start sequences of every module, especially when it may be quite awhile between times I may fly a particular airframe. Start sequences are perishable knowledge.

Also, I fly exclusively in vr making checking my notes a bit more difficult and a lot more immersion breaking

Generally I spend the time in an autostart setting up my nav radios and other settings that are easier done on the ground than in-flight, along with familiarizing myself with my flight plan, tasks, st cetera

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Do you think that simulator sessions irl include start ups and shut downs? The whole point of simulators is to save time and money, every thing that is not important for a session is skipped. Why do you have problem people using DCS like it's a real simulator?

It depends. Are you simulating real life or are you simulating a simulator?

Buzz

As a former real world pilot, cold starts are intensely boring in the real world and doubly so in a "simulator". They are a necessity in the real world and a pointless waste of time in a simulator.

I take auto starts a step further and rewrite them in order to remove all the pointless system checks and add all the necessary but intensely repetitive switch flipping post start. I also compress the time intervals as much as possible in the auto start macros.

It is super nice to press one button and a few seconds to a few minutes later (module dependent) have a combat ready aircraft to fly.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I take auto starts a step further and rewrite them in order to remove all the pointless system checks and add all the necessary but intensely repetitive switch flipping post start. I also compress the time intervals as much as possible in the auto start macros..

You must teach me this sorcery :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

Yet, you do it for a living. You must hate your job.

If one doesn't experience fun from something, it doesn't mean they hate it.

Antonym to word "Fun" is "Boredom" and "Misery" etc.

Antonym to word "Hate" is "Liking", "Love", "Delight" etc.

One can do their job where part of the job is not fun, but it is not generating any negative emotions or feelings at all, if not even the positive either.

Like a writer doesn't love typing the keyboard even if they would have fun and love the text they are producing by typing the keyboard.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.