Confirming understanding of radar modes

HoneyViper

Trying to get my head around this radar and the various functions is doing my head in. Here's a short little write-up based on my understanding, wondering if people can correct me where I'm wrong and respond to my questions?

So there are four "main" modes, being: BVR for outside 10nm and is the default when you display the radar first time; ACM for dogfighting within 10nm; STT which for any kind of range but used to get a good shot off; and AACQ which just puts the radar into STT the moment it detects a target. For AACQ you hit right on the SCS.

BVR

BVR consists of two "sub" modes, RWS and TWS: RWS which is low fidelity and can't be used for a firing solution. This seems to be the "default" setting once you go into AA radar. It has the additional layer of LTWS to display tracking data, albeit can't be used for a firing solution because the fidelity of the track is not fine enough.

TWS is the same emission as RWS but narrows the scan range which gives a higher refresh rate making the tracks more accurate. This is why TWS can be used for a firing solution, and the bonus being you don't have to go into STT and set off the bad guy's RWR.

ACM

Now for the ACM modes. Because you're in visual range of the bad guys, you lose the display on the DDI, right? Anyway, there seem to be four sub-modes: BST, VACQ, WACQ and GACQ.

Pressing up on the SCS gets you BST, which stands for "boresight", it searches targets out to 10nm and will lock a target into STT when within 10nm and inside the dotted circle. But why would you choose this mode over, say, AACQ?

Next there's VACQ by pressing down and WACQ by pressing left, but I don't get why you would use them over BST or AACQ, or even TWS for that matter (yes, I know TWS is BVR but it still seems useful within visual range)?

Finally there's GACQ which you get to not by using the SCS, but using the weapon selector bringing up your gun. This will put the radar into STT when within 5nm of the target and it will guide you towards it for a good shot. However, you also seem to be able to select BST, VACQ and WACQ within the gun selection, effectively overriding GACQ.

Additional Questions

How do you move the diamond out of the radar DDI an into the other DDI or the MPCD? It seems that once I get into the radar DDI I'm stuck here. Actually, I've got out of it a couple of times by accident but didn't know how.

A couple of times it looks like I have returned to the RWS screen, but the up/down arrows to zoom in/out where not there. What had gone on there?

Thanks guys.

RWS is not low fidelity by any mean. Without LTWS it just provides you "more raw" view. You can set scan area in RWS as well.

ACM modes have different scan patterns and they are created for close combat where standard bvr scanning method doesn't work well because cone section at close distances is too small. All ACM modes are automatic so no real advantage using AACQ. AACQ is not ACM mode. You should utilize the best scanning pattern for required job. There is HACQ mode you missed that is basically boresight movable by HMS.

You can use SCS switch to move diamond, but not all pages are capable. For example, you can use SCS with radar display and SA display.

There are many bugs with radar currently, so maybe you've just hit one of them and lost some functionality.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Trying to get my head around this radar and the various functions is doing my head in. Here's a short little write-up based on my understanding, wondering if people can correct me where I'm wrong and respond to my questions?

So there are four "main" modes, being: BVR for outside 10nm and is the default when you display the radar first time; ACM for dogfighting within 10nm; STT which for any kind of range but used to get a good shot off; and AACQ which just puts the radar into STT the moment it detects a target. For AACQ you hit right on the SCS.

BVR

BVR consists of two "sub" modes, RWS and TWS: RWS which is low fidelity and can't be used for a firing solution. This seems to be the "default" setting once you go into AA radar. It has the additional layer of LTWS to display tracking data, albeit can't be used for a firing solution because the fidelity of the track is not fine enough.

TWS is the same emission as RWS but narrows the scan range which gives a higher refresh rate making the tracks more accurate. This is why TWS can be used for a firing solution, and the bonus being you don't have to go into STT and set off the bad guy's RWR.

ACM

Now for the ACM modes. Because you're in visual range of the bad guys, you lose the display on the DDI, right? Anyway, there seem to be four sub-modes: BST, VACQ, WACQ and GACQ.

Pressing up on the SCS gets you BST, which stands for "boresight", it searches targets out to 10nm and will lock a target into STT when within 10nm and inside the dotted circle. But why would you choose this mode over, say, AACQ?

Next there's VACQ by pressing down and WACQ by pressing left, but I don't get why you would use them over BST or AACQ, or even TWS for that matter (yes, I know TWS is BVR but it still seems useful within visual range)?

Finally there's GACQ which you get to not by using the SCS, but using the weapon selector bringing up your gun. This will put the radar into STT when within 5nm of the target and it will guide you towards it for a good shot. However, you also seem to be able to select BST, VACQ and WACQ within the gun selection, effectively overriding GACQ.

Additional Questions

How do you move the diamond out of the radar DDI an into the other DDI or the MPCD? It seems that once I get into the radar DDI I'm stuck here. Actually, I've got out of it a couple of times by accident but didn't know how.

A couple of times it looks like I have returned to the RWS screen, but the up/down arrows to zoom in/out where not there. What had gone on there?

Thanks guys.

Rws can absolutely be used for firing solution, (it switches to STT) and it is by no means low fidelity. Quite the opposite in reality

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

RWS and TWS mainly differ in their usual trackfile quality. You normally use RWS for general search over a wider volume of space and switch to TWS when you want to focus on a single/group of contacts and improve trackfile quality. Another difference that showcases that is that TWS AUTO will center the scan pattern on the L&S target and TWS MAN will center the azimuth on the TDC. Also, TWS will force smaller scan patterns to ensure higher trackfile quality.

AACQ is context sensitive. Without an L&S, it'll STT the highest ranked contact. With an L&S, it'll STT the L&S. If the TDC is over a contact, whether that contact is the L&S or not, it'll STT that contact (that's called Fast ACQ). Fast ACQ is important, because it allows you to enter STT immediately, without having to go through the step of designating an L&S. You can also reject the currently SST'd target for a certain number of seconds with SCS Right and the radar will attempt to STT the next target that meets criteria, disregarding the previous one. AACQ is very much WIP in the DCS Hornet right now.

Each ACM mode serves a different purpose and you select the one appropriate for the case. Their main advantage over the BVR modes is that they use different scan patterns and they center them at specific places. Is the bandit if front of you? BST. Are you behind the bandit and in a turning fight? VACQ. Is the bandit not directly in front of you, a little to the side? WACQ (pressing the TDC will allow you to move the WACQ pattern around - not implemented yet). Do you have a JHMCS? SCS Fwd short will enter HACQ (helmet acquisition, which allows you to slave the radar to the helmet sight) and SCW Fwd Long will enter LACQ (longer range HACQ).

There's also Velocity Search (VS) for BVR, which displays an azimuth/closing velocity scope and is used to detect and sort targets based on their closing velocity to you. Normally, this is used to detect and prioritize medium and high closure targets. VS isn't implemented in the DCS Hornet yet.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It sounds like you've got the very basics down. Here's some more info:

The radar basically operates in three air-to-air modes right now:

Range While Scan (RWS)

This is your basic search mode. It can cover the highest scan volume of any radar mode, allowing you to find the most targets in the fastest amount of time possible. The large scan volume does mean that it has a relatively low refresh rate. Fidelity isn't quite the right term here, when the radar hits a contact it will generally know exactly where it is, but the radar won't be hitting that contact very often so any significant course changes made by the target may not get noticed quickly. This low refresh rate is what makes RWS a poor mode for weapon guidance.

Track While Scan (TWS)

This mode will track, sort, and rank targets automatically. To get a high enough refresh rate on contacts to be able to track them reliably, it has a lower scan volume. When in TWS you'll be limited to a 80° or lower scan width at 2 bars, 40° scan width at 4 bars, and 20° scan width at 6 bars. TWS will build a track file on contacts within its field of view; this file tracks an aircraft's location, direction and speed of movement, any identification information associated with it, it will correlate radar data with datalink data from an AWACS or friendly fighter, and priority rank. Hitting the NWS/Undesignate button on the stick will designate the priority 1 track file for weapon guidance, and then step through all track files in the order of their priority. You can manually designate any track file with the TDC.

There is also Latent TWS (LTWS) mode within RWS that is enabled by default. This allows some TWS functionality to be accessed from RWS mode. LTWS will attempt to correlate radar contacts with datalink contacts, will track identification information, will assign priorities to contacts, and allow you designate a track. Because of the low refresh rate of RWS though, LTWS track files are prone to being dropped.

Single Target Track (STT)

In this mode, the radar doesn't scan, but simply points at and tracks a single target. This mode is necessary for Sparrow launch and guidance, and is also the best mode for AMRAAM guidance since it provides the highest refresh rate possible for mid-course guidance updates. The primary downside is that the radar will only see the single contact, and you may loose situational awareness and you cannot launch AMRAAMs at multiple targets.

Those are the three basic modes. All the remaining modes are acquisition modes, and will result in a target being tracked in STT. There are two acquisition modes that are used for BVR, primarily from RWS. Both are accessed by hitting SCS Right, assuming the radar page is on the right DDI.

Auto Acquisition

This is commanded by hitting SCS Right with the TDC cursor over a blank area on the radar page. The radar will determine the highest priority target based on range and closure speed and then attempt to acquire that target in STT.

Fast Acquisition

This is commanded by hitting SCS Right with the TDC cursor over a radar contact, or with a designated track. It will attempt to acquire the designated or highlighted target in STT.

Both of these acquisition modes are a bit buggy right now, and sometimes acquire a target that you don't want them to.

Additionally, you have 4 ACM modes. These modes are short range directional auto acquisition modes that will lock the first target that enters their scan pattern in STT. ACM is accessed by hitting SCS Up, which will enter Boresight mode. Other modes can then be accessed from there.

Boresight / Helmet

Boresight is a 10 mile 3.5° strait beam acquisition mode that will lock the first contact that enters the circle drawn on the HUD. If you have the JHMCS helmet mounted sight turned on, Boresight will automatically transition to Helmet Acquisition (HACQ) when you look away from the HUD, and the radar cone will follow your line of sight so long as it is within the radar gimbal limits. This mode basically allows you to look at a contact and lock them up. It's narrow field of view makes it easier to acquire exactly the contact you want when there are other aircraft in the area. This is by far my most frequently used ACM mode.

Vertical

This scans a vertical area from 13° below the nose to 46° above the nose. It is most useful in dogfights where you're pulling your nose onto an enemy. It allows auto acquisition on a target as they are above your canopy bow and coming into your field of fire. This was a great mode in the days before JHMCS, but now it's pretty easy to just command Boresight while you're looking at the bandit and lock them up.

Wide

This mode is barely functional right now. Eventually it will give you a visual steerable acquisition rectangle to slew over a target to lock them up.

Gun

As the name implies, this is pretty much intended for use with the gun. It will lock up anything within a 20° scan cone off your nose. It's not the greatest as an ACM mode, but that's not really the point. it's purpose is purely to lock a target you're trying to shoot with the gun, without you needing to worry about fussing with other ACM modes.

How do you move the diamond out of the radar DDI an into the other DDI or the MPCD?

The Sensor Control Switch will always move TDC Priority around unless you're in ACM mode. It's baseline function is: SCS Right selects the right DDI, SCS Left selects the left DDI, SCS Down selects the MPCD, and SCS Up selects the HUD. Page-specific special functions are accessed by pressing the SCS in the direction of a page that already has TDC Priority (hence why Auto ACQ is commanded by hitting SCS Right with the radar on the right DDI, if the radar were on the left DDI Auto ACO would be commanded with SCS Left.) In A/A Master Mode ACM is accessed with SCS Up, which you can also just think of as selecting the HUD.

That usually happens when you entered STT from an ACM mode but the radar dropped the target, often because the target flew outside the radar gimbals or you blew it up. You can select an ACM acquisition mode again to acquire a new target, or hit the Undesignate button on the stick to exit ACM. If all else fails, hitting the RESET button on the radar page is a good way to get out of all kinds of weird situations.

I think you are little confused about the systems, and it might cause problems to understand what to use and when.

The "Bunny Clark" gave a good summary about the radar modes, but I would go little further that it would be better start with the master modes: Navigation - Air-to-Air - Air-to-Ground.

Then under each of these master modes you have the radar functions and capabilities.

Your mind seems to be set more like a Su-27S manner, where the stick has a one switch to allow pilot select BVR or WVR missiles (in game it unrealistic a BVR or Vertical Mode) and then all radar functions are handled from the left sensor control panel etc.

So going through the master modes in F-16 and then the radar modes helps you to get the mindset for the whole aircraft how to utilize the radar in different phases.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks for your replies, especially Bunny Clark. I think I understand the basics now.

Yes, "fidelity" was not the right term regards the RWS. So the radar does show the exact location of the contact immediately after a return is received, but since RWS scans over a wider volume of space the exact location of the contact will inevitably move to a position too far beyond the last displayed position to provide accurate missile guidance. Of course you can limit the volume of space by changing the azimuth and bar settings, thus displaying a more accurate positional information on the DDI, but we have TWS for that purpose.

Out of curiosity, in RWS does the computer still maintain a track file of contacts, albeit hidden? Or does it only create the file when LTWS is activated?

All the remaining modes are acquisition modes, and will result in a target being tracked in STT.

Would it be accurate to say that they are all auto acquisition modes, just beaming the radar in different ways? And as soon as it detects a target within the parameters of the beam it locks it into STT.

Fast Acquisition

This is commanded by hitting SCS Right with the TDC cursor over a radar contact, or with a designated track. It will attempt to acquire the designated or highlighted target in STT.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of Fast Acquistion before. I don't believe the manual or Chuck's guide mentions it. I had a quick play around and it seemed to work. Had a target STT'd out at about 30nm. The DDI kept flashing 'MEM' down the bottom, apparently it means this.

Auto Acquisition

This is commanded by hitting SCS Right with the TDC cursor over a blank area on the radar page. The radar will determine the highest priority target based on range and closure speed and then attempt to acquire that target in STT.

Just had a play around with this, it didn't seem to acquire the "highest priority target based on range and closer speed", it just locked STT on the very first contact the radar picked up - unless there was something else going on just prior to entering STT and it did pick up multiple targets then prioritise?

Thanks again.

You can still launch A-A missiles and score regular good hits on LNS and DT2 targets with LTWS, contrary to what some manuals and video tutorials have said. With LTWS LNS/DT2, the radar is still in RWS mode without the azimuth restrictions that you would get in TWS. So it is not as focused on the targets as TWS would be. But as long as the targets stay within the scan, you have a good chance of hitting them. Not sure whether this is so IRL though.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

You can still launch A-A missiles and score regular good hits on LNS and DT2 targets with LTWS, contrary to what some manuals and video tutorials have said. With LTWS LNS/DT2, the radar is still in RWS mode without the azimuth restrictions that you would get in TWS. So it is not as focused on the targets as TWS would be. But as long as the targets stay within the scan, you have a good chance of hitting them. Not sure whether this is so IRL though.
This is correct behavior as far as I know - it makes logical sense. The only thing that is missing is that firing an AMRAAM in RWS should switch to TWS. However you can go back to RWS and it'll still guide fine.

Out of curiosity, in RWS does the computer still maintain a track file of contacts, albeit hidden? Or does it only create the file when LTWS is activated?

I believe that's true. Track files are just hidden.

Would it be accurate to say that they are all auto acquisition modes, just beaming the radar in different ways? And as soon as it detects a target within the parameters of the beam it locks it into STT.

That's correct.

Do not expect fairness.

TOut of curiosity, in RWS does the computer still maintain a track file of contacts, albeit hidden? Or does it only create the file when LTWS is activated?

Pure RWS, with LTWS disabled (you can toggle LTWS from the radar DATA subpage) does not maintain track files of any kind. RWS by itself displays radar "hits" as solid rectangular bricks on the page representing the location of an aircraft in space at the exact moment the radar beam swept over it. The next time the radar scans over that aircraft it will be displayed as a new brick, and the computer will make no attempt to associate the two hits with one another. If you're flying straight and level and have a long enough decay on the RWS bricks, you can manually track contacts by watching the trail of fading bricks across your screen.

Just had a play around with this, it didn't seem to acquire the "highest priority target based on range and closer speed", it just locked STT on the very first contact the radar picked up

Yup, it's still a bit buggy and prone to acquiring targets it probably should not. Fast Acquisition will also sometimes acquire a target other than the one under my TDC cursor too. It's a work in progress. Someday it'll work as it should and will get new features like the ability to "bump" targets - if Auto Acquisition locks a target you don't want, hitting the undesignate button will drop that target and restart Auto Acquisition with the target you just dumped excluded from the algorithm.

You can still launch A-A missiles and score regular good hits on LNS and DT2 targets with LTWS, contrary to what some manuals and video tutorials have said.

Yup, this is still an unclear subject. A few guides say that you cannot launch in RWS/LTWS, which is clearly wrong and makes no sense. The Hornet doesn't even prevent you from launching an AMRAAM with no lock at all, why would it prevent you from launching on an L&S designated target in LTWS? Myself and a few others theorize that the radar will automatically switch to TWS Auto on the L&S target when an AMRAAM is launched, but without access to the classified weapons employment manual we're just guessing. As of right now, the missile guides in LTWS with infrequent mid-course updates (assuming a wide RWS scan volume).

Edited by Bunny Clark

Pure RWS, with LTWS disabled (you can toggle LTWS from the radar DATA subpage) does not maintain track files of any kind. RWS by itself displays radar "hits" as solid rectangular bricks on the page representing the location of an aircraft in space at the exact moment the radar beam swept over it. The next time the radar scans over that aircraft it will be displayed as a new brick, and the computer will make no attempt to associate the two hits with one another. If you're flying straight and level and have a long enough decay on the RWS bricks, you can manually track contacts by watching the trail of fading bricks across your screen.

I don't think that's the case. If that is true, switching from RWS to LTWS would require 2 or more hits first to build track, so at least 5 seconds. In game, it's instant, so it's obvious that it calculates trackfiles in background even with pure RWS.

Do not expect fairness.

Yup, it's still a bit buggy and prone to acquiring targets it probably should not. Fast Acquisition will also sometimes acquire a target other than the one under my TDC cursor too. It's a work in progress. Someday it'll work as it should and will get new features like the ability to "bump" targets - if Auto Acquisition locks a target you don't want, hitting the undesignate button will drop that target and restart Auto Acquisition with the target you just dumped excluded from the algorithm.

Thanks for your help man.

I don't think that's the case. If that is true, switching from RWS to LTWS would require 2 or more hits first to build track, so at least 5 seconds. In game, it's instant, so it's obvious that it calculates trackfiles in background even with pure RWS.

Hmmm, I've not noticed that, interesting. I wonder if that's a DCS thing or a real life thing.

What AG radar modes remaining to get?

We will yet get:

GMT (Ground Moving Target)

Identifies and displays moving ground objects.

SEA

Finds ships.

GMTT (Ground Moving Target Track)

Locks onto and tracks a single moving ground target.

FTT (Fixed Target Track)

Locks onto and tracks a fixed ground object with high enough radar contrast to track.

Bunny Clark, that's great, but when I flew last night I was able to lock a moving ship even with map and exp1/2/3 modes.
You didn't lock the ship, you simply designated its current position in space. That's all you can do with MAP.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

You didn't lock the ship, you simply designated its current position in space. That's all you can do with MAP.

Harker, Im pretty sure that I lock it, my target cursor was moving simultaneously with the locked ship. After that I even destroy it with 2xHarpoons.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

TDC Depress simply designates the point in space and you get the + symbol there. But the radar isn't locked onto anything. The radar keeps scanning, right? And if the designation appears to be moving with the ship, it's just a matter of appearing so, due to your changing position while flying.

As for the Harpoons, it's definitely possible to use them from MAP, all they need is a designation in space, for R/BL mode. If they get close enough, they can use their own radar to lock into the ship.

-

Hmmm, I've not noticed that, interesting. I wonder if that's a DCS thing or a real life thing.

Probably a DCS thing. I don't see how you can build a trackfile with only one hit. I think that the DCS Viper works better in that regard, it seems to need more than one hits in TWS, for example, to build a track.

-

Gyus could you explain some tips to easily find big targets like airports, via AG radar. Tried it many times, but never can find it. And when I watched Wag`s video for EXP modes he is finding an airport so easy...

I haven't paid close enough attention to give you all the details, but there are still some issues/WIP aspects of the A-G radar that might mean the certain objects that should be picked up by it currently aren't. That might be the issue. It is acknowledged/discussed in the F-18 bugs sub-forum