TWS2

Dr Zaius

Any chance we can get TWS2 like the MiG-29 has? TWS is pretty much a luxury feature at the mo and having the ability to launch 2 R77's would really make the J11 that bit more desirable, especially in MP :pilotfly:

Edited by Dr Zaius

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

No, the situation in DCS code is likely similar to real life for these early A models, as uboats put it the real radar had a “hack” modification to it to fire R-77 using STT mode. Later versions/upgrades with the Panda radars can probably do it, but that’s not the version we have

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

No, the situation in DCS code is likely similar to real life for these early A models, as uboats put it the real radar had a “hack” modification to it to fire R-77 using STT mode. Later versions/upgrades with the Panda radars can probably do it, but that’s not the version we have

It'd hardly be a deal breaker with realism though would it? I get it that some people want the absolute realism but what with this being a modified FC3 module it’s hardly the most accurate simulation as is, given the choice surely (most) people would enjoy that little extra bit of functionality, it might motivate people to fly this great jet more often.

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

It'd hardly be a deal breaker with realism though would it? I get it that some people want the absolute realism but what with this being a modified FC3 module it’s hardly the most accurate simulation as is, given the choice surely (most) people would enjoy that little extra bit of functionality, it might motivate people to fly this great jet more often.

I think the planned integration of MFI-55, if that’s still on the table, will do what you want realistically. It will give you a full featured data link that is far more capable then the Su-27S, and depending if other pages are done since they have hinted it will be a clickable panel, it may be able to do a lot more then just data link. There’s a video of it WIP on their Youtube.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

I think the planned integration of MFI-55, if that’s still on the table, will do what you want realistically. It will give you a full featured data link that is far more capable then the Su-27S, and depending if other pages are done since they have hinted it will be a clickable panel, it may be able to do a lot more then just data link. There’s a video of it WIP on their Youtube.

As exciting as that sounds its kinda steping towards the realm of a paid for module, what I'm asking for should be quick and simple (just ask ED to share the code from the Mig) to implement yet add a ton of functionality - sometimes its the little things that go a long way :joystick:

It’s already not as accurate as they would like because of data link presence. Reality can always be bent for usability like short re arm and repair and stuff like that, but not an entirely fictional radar mode. No plane in DCS has a fictional radar mode, and if it got one because it was requested and not in the actual plane, you would have an outcry from the DCS community about this step back in realism especially one that would have an enormous impact online. The floodgates would be open and then you would have many users asking for TWS2 or other “small changes” in planes that didn’t have it, and customers might be lost or the demographic shifted to war thunder because of this change in the simulation. In lock on I believe the Sukhois have TWS2, but that is lock on and another era, when realism was not such a big part of their company and user base. Even in Nick Greys Growling Sidewinder interview he says they stopped keeping things balanced two years ago, and decided to just model things as close to reality as possible.

AFAIK it should be easy to mod it as long as you have FC3, you can open a thread in the mod section and someone should be able to help you.

• Like 1

That is a bit of a red herring, the plane did have its data-link systems even in its earliest deliveries in the 1990s as kits and so on.

The issue deka alluded to is that in this period there were no ground based stations or even air based for that matter that could infact talk to the plane.

And you can still simulate this in the sim as China has no ground units that can talk to the plane currently, the one Chinese unit that can is the KJ-2000 from the early noughties and represents a different era of PLAAF preparedness.

In most MP servers PLAAF J-11s fly along side RuAF Su-27s with Russian ground stations and AWACS, which do have the systems to feed DL info to the planes I said before, the systems onboard were never absent, the support infrastructure was and it can be modeled by simply not adding those Russian EWR units if the mission maker wishes to make an authentic 90s PLAAF portrayal.

For ahistorical modifications, the M2KC had a MAWS only found on the D model and I've to see much out cry over that...

As for the Panda radar if I'm not mistaken no Zhuk radar was ever put on the Su-27SK types in PLAAF service they still use N001Es and based on what another Deka dev said, the Su-30MKKs have N001VEs if I read that right.

The game is not necessarily the best example right now, as the data link capability is there as a placeholder for MFI-55. Remember the poll about removing the data link to stay realistic for the SK monitor cockpit or keep the data link as a placeholder and model the more advanced MFI-55 version

I don’t remember what Uboats has said exactly since the poll, which there had to be a reason to want to make a poll asking if they should remove it to simulate an early CRT version. Does capable of being used with stations if China bought them mean that they can turn on their J-11A and tune in to the nearest RuAF A-50? Does it require preparation to get on the right frequency? Is there any possibility of additional hardware or software not shipped in the kits sent to Shenyang? Would Russia be okay with sending the ability to connect to the Russian air defense to China? I just think there’s also some leaps of logic made to say “it can still work with Russian ground and air stations.”

Im open to any post from uboats or someone else that I might’ve forgotten or missed that clarifies the matter, but I have a nagging feeling it’s not a software defined radio, and that Sukhoi wouldn’t ship data link hardware the customer didn’t need, and Deka has a very good reason for asking to remove it.

And then to add on to all this it’s a grey area of how to simulate it in sim as DL is still so new

I think we also have to take into consideration how much data link like many in things in this sim can be up to interpretation, or simplified in different ways. And what is “technically” capable to some isn’t technically possible enough to be simulated to others. For example like the recent C-101 thread, can it carry GBUs when it never had them but has the mounts? Is it okay to carry Sea Eagle when it was only tested with a mock up once?

Interesting to bring up the D2M, interesting enough there was an outcry that I remember(but not very loud), but what finally got it removed from default load outs was the AdA. Unless everything happened at once, it was the French Air Force that convinced them “so we can fly it you must make it like it really is”