KH-66 GROM Not locking or following beam

Realmslayer

• 4 weeks later...

Tested it, locking occurs with realistic ASP turned off.

I believe it's also a function of having 'experimental features' ticked.

But I can't be the only one that prefers it this way. Being able to 'walk' it onto the target is a huge help.

Tested it, locking occurs with realistic ASP turned off.

I believe it's also a function of having 'experimental features' ticked.

But I can't be the only one that prefers it this way. Being able to 'walk' it onto the target is a huge help.

Being able to walk that puppy home is really nice against smaller targets.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

It would be nice if the devs could clarify how it is supposed to work... :music_whistling:

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2020 at 9:19 PM, QuiGon said:

It would be nice if the devs could clarify how it is supposed to work... :music_whistling:

Hehe, we agreed pretty early on after MIG21Bis released that it is a fantasy-weapon 😉 IRL, you would need a single beam radar, like RP21 (not RP22 Saphir), to target the missile. Otherwise if KH66 Grom was simulated correctly, it would behave like Vikhr at the early stage of flight with RP-22 (dual beam radar) until spinning out of range of one of the radar beams. This is one of the few weapons in MIG´s arsenal that were added for fun, and because no other variants of MIG21 will be simulated in the upcoming future )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think locking feature was discussed in the beginning if it is realistic or not, and as far as I recall discussion was left inconclusive. Probably it wasn't, especially if it works without realistic ASP checked and stops working with it checked, feels like this may have been intentional.

I have always preferred using it without lock myself though.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

2 hours ago, john4pap said:

Mine works only when "realistic ASP" is set to off. When it is on, the grom won't work in either mode: lock or follow beam.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Same here! I was scratching my head over this. Thanks for your message.

It would be great to have it fixed for the realistic ASP option or maybe rethink whether Grom should be available or not because it seems that they are behaving in an unrealistic way.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I guess your expectations are to high. It's not supposed to lock (IRL). It's not supposed to (exactly) follow the beam. You kinda 'steer' it a certain direction. Point the pipper to the right and it will pursue a slightly right course, point it to the  left and the GROM will sorta go left ways. The further it moves, the weaker the radar signal and GROM's response to that. There's a reason it wasn't so successful I guess.

Works on latest Beta but I have similar experiences on Stable. (Working does not mean I hit targets...)

Same here! I was scratching my head over this. Thanks for your message.

It would be great to have it fixed for the realistic ASP option or maybe rethink whether Grom should be available or not because it seems that they are behaving in an unrealistic way.

I'm a little confused with all the different opinions about the grom. Is the ability to lock the pipper on target the only contested matter about it being realistic?

39 minutes ago, john4pap said:

I'm a little confused with all the different opinions about the grom. Is the ability to lock the pipper on target the only contested matter about it being realistic?

Technically no, iirc the radar set in the bis (the -22) doesn't generate the right type of beam for the Grom.

Edit: more info

Edited by Buzzles

Edit: more info

Thanks for the link. I cannot say I understood every single detail in there. However, it sounds like that through having the realistic ASP option set to off, we're kind of upgrading the version of the radar in order to employ the grom (not really upgrading, rather making a compromise of adding more capabilities to it for the sake of gameplay). When it is off the grom can be employed. When on, the grom is not supposed to be carried at all.

Do I get this right?

57 minutes ago, john4pap said:

Thanks for the link. I cannot say I understood every single detail in there. However, it sounds like that through having the realistic ASP option set to off, we're kind of upgrading the version of the radar in order to employ the grom (not really upgrading, rather making a compromise of adding more capabilities to it for the sake of gameplay). When it is off the grom can be employed. When on, the grom is not supposed to be carried at all.

Do I get this right?

The Grom is able to be engaged successfully:

• Realistic Pipper OFF, Radar UNLOCKED
  • Realistic Pipper OFF, Radar LOCKED
  • Realistic Pipper ON, Radar UNLOCKED
  • Realistic Pipper ON, Radar LOCKED

All of these are possible. Only what matters is that radar is in fixed beam and emitting. The missile will guide toward where fixed beam is pointing. Everything else is just the visuals of how to aim.

With Realistic Pipper ON or OFF I recommend:

• A-G Switch: Ground
  • Weapon Selector: S-24 1-2
  • GYRO-MSL Switch: MSL
  • GN-LNC Switch: LNC
  • S-B Switch: S
  • AUT-MAN Switch: MAN
  • Angle Knob: ~2.35 (1.5° actual, scale is wrong) or use 1.5° 'x' on fixed sight
  • Radar: ON
  • Locked Beam: LOCKED BEAM

Note when Realistic Pipper is OFF there is a great chance for the displayed pipper position to not be equal to the unlocked radar beam and to provide poor aiming. Setting the pipper position manually with the MAN position of the AUT-MAN switch ensures a good pipper reference. The 1.5° x on the fixed sight can be used as reference in any mode.

When using the radar beam without locking then keep pipper on target until impact. When using the radar beam locked into ground fly pipper to target, press lock button, and then fire keeping target within radar limits until impact.

Edited by Frederf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Frederf said:
  • AUT-MAN Switch: MAN
  • Angle Knob: ~2.35 (1.5° actual, scale is wrong) or use 1.5° 'x' on fixed sight

This is a great piece of information, thank you! I always left this to auto as per the tutorial. So, auto doesn't work when realistic ASP is set to on. I will try as you suggest here. I wish the manual could be a little more detailed on these matters of weapon employment.

17 hours ago, john4pap said:

Mine works only when "realistic ASP" is set to off. When it is on, the grom won't work in either mode: lock or follow beam.

So with realistics ASP sight option on. You don't use the piper to guide the missle. You use the small crosshair.

Also when you lock it will track to where the small cross hair was when you pressed the lock on button

20210207_200619.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks @CrazyGman! I will try those. We did a mission in my group with the Mig-21 and Groms were great with unrealistic ASP but I would rather prefer the realistic option so I'll try your methods.

• Like 2

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria