Seat height ajdustment

VC

I think it's really cool that the seat height switch can be clicked in some planes, but it's a real shame that it moves the entire cockpit up and down, so really it's just a shortcut to head/viewpoint vertical position.

It would be great if it moved just the actual seat within the cockpit.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

I think it's really cool that the seat height switch can be clicked in some planes, but it's a real shame that it moves the entire cockpit up and down, so really it's just a shortcut to head/viewpoint vertical position.

It would be great if it moved just the actual seat within the cockpit.

Sorry, I can’t understand what you mean. What modules are you seeing this happening?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Most models have seat adjustment, and for those that don't just use cockpit camera up/down.

I honestly don't know what the OP means. The entire cockpit doesn't move up and down, and of course it is adjusting one's vertical viewpoint.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What the OP meant, and he has a point, is that in some modules the seat height adjustment switch only moves the camera up and down, not the seat visibly in the cockpit.

Can you give an example on this? If I look at seat view at max height and then look at same cockpit camera view, they look pretty much the same to me.

Surely raising the seat is the same as raising the vertical view? Maybe this is a module specific issue.

Surely raising the seat is the same as raising the vertical view? Maybe this is a module specific issue.

In some modules only the view raises up, while the position of the actual seat remains unchanged. In other modules the seat actually raises within the cockpit, together with the view.

That's what the OP is talking about and I find it kind curious, that people have such a hard time understanding how a seat can move down and up :lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In some modules only the view raises up, while the position of the actual seat remains unchanged. In other modules the seat actually raises within the cockpit, together with the view.

Can someone give me an example of a module where this happens?

Can someone give me an example of a module where this happens?
The F-16 is where seat movement is realistically simulated, the seat would physically move with the switch pressed. Not sure it is the same for the Hornet or warthog.
Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

OK, so I didn't check every plane but I see now F-16 and Mirage work as I want, the button actually moves the seat along with your view point.

But for other planes I own, F/A-18, F-14, JF-17, the button just moves your view point. The seat stays fixed relative to the cockpit, and the viewpoint moves relative to the seat.

Wish they all worked like F-16/Mirage now!

VC

So, we’re just talking about the actual seat being modelled. Nothing to do with the actual view.

So, we’re just talking about the actual seat being modelled. Nothing to do with the actual view.

I care about the seat movement actually being modelled because as a tall person in VR, it's immersion breaking to look down and see the seat so close to my face it would need to be inside my belly to be there. If the seat button just moves the view, that doesn't solve the problem. If the view is off that can be moved in other ways anyway.

VC

I care about the seat movement actually being modelled because as a tall person in VR, it's immersion breaking to look down and see the seat so close to my face it would need to be inside my belly to be there. If the seat button just moves the view, that doesn't solve the problem. If the view is off that can be moved in other ways anyway.

I understand what you mean, but in practical terms, how often do you look down at your seat? I'm a tall VR user as well, and I can't say I've ever noticed this being an issue. I'm not sure what difference it makes whether someone is tall or not, as surely the VR recenter button neutralises everything at the start anyway. No?

I understand what you mean, but in practical terms, how often do you look down at your seat? I'm a tall VR user as well, and I can't say I've ever noticed this being an issue. I'm not sure what difference it makes whether someone is tall or not, as surely the VR recenter button neutralises everything at the start anyway. No?

OK, it's not a massive issue I didn't want to make it sound like that. The recenter makes sure you're looking through the HUD at the intended position to see all of it, but you know how big your body is and you bring that intuitive awareness with you into VR. If in VR the distance between your viewpoint and your virtual seat is a lot less than what you know is the distance between your real eyes and your real back side, you notice it looking around the consoles, or at least I do.

It interacts with the pilot body in the cockpit as well (for planes that have it). In most of them I feel the default viewpoint is too low relative to the body, as if the eyes were at chin or neck level. If you can move the seat, and the body with it, this goes away.

VC

The F/A-18 doesn't model the seat movement? Well that's a bit disappointing. I'd consider the F/A-18 and the F-16 ED's flagship modules (yes yes I know they are early access, not finished, blah blah).

Edit: And 2 seconds after I type this I remember the Ka-50 and the A-10. Lol. Ignore my post!

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Tall people should probably check if they qualify for a ride in the aircraft/ejection seat. If not - they're already breaking immersion by sitting there or they should get the idea of simulating smaller pilot wink.gif Navy has 6'5" limit afaik.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The A-10C does actually model seat height movement btw :)

The F/A-18 doesn't model the seat movement? Well that's a bit disappointing. I'd consider the F/A-18 and the F-16 ED's flagship modules (yes yes I know they are early access, not finished, blah blah).

Edit: And 2 seconds after I type this I remember the Ka-50 and the A-10. Lol. Ignore my post!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg