AAR with KC135 tip - seat height

GunSlingerAUS

I've been practicing AAR with the KC135 in the F-14 instant action mission, and had no luck for hours. Then I did two things which saw me hook up and make a successful AAR straight away.

1.) I lowered my seat height so that I could see the fuel pod at all times. Without doing this, if I was looking forward all I had for reference was the fuel line, which is a nightmare to stay in formation with once joined. I bound seat height to a throttle hat-switch.

2.) I tweaked my joystick curves to have +10 for both X and Y (Virpil MongoosT with 200mm extension).

I wish I'd tried these tweaks earlier, as it made refuelling SO much easier. Oh yeah, I also used Bailey's awesome voice attack profile for the Tomcat so that I could communicate with the tanker hands-free.

Hope this helps, as the seat height, for me, was the key to staying connected.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

You can adjust seat height? When did that become functional?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4343867&postcount=18

I don't think pilots did that during the flight :)

@GunSlingerAUS: With TIR5/VR you have 6DOF so how did you end up not able to see the tanker?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4343867&postcount=18

I don't think pilots did that during the flight :)

@GunSlingerAUS: With TIR5/VR you have 6DOF so how did you end up not able to see the tanker?

pretty easy really - to lower my view I have get in an uncomfy real world position. It's vastly easier to just drop the seat, refuel, then return it to normal.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Still using TrackIR I did this for a long time. Before refuling I raised my head by 15cm, then recentered TrackIR (F12) and sat down again. That way, I was way lower in the cockpit and it was much more comfy for me looking at the tanker.

I then let go of this habit, except for the S3-tanker. But somewhere along the way, I also stopped doing it there.

But I guess, if one still still not used to doing AAR, the lower position can mean some relief for the anyway stressed shoulders/neck…..

With the VR-Headsets I owned briefly it was not such a problem, since of the much higher spacial awareness of VR. But doing a recenter to lower the seatposition also helped.

Edited by Wali763

Another benefit to AAR with wings in Bomb mode as it trims a fair way nose-up for better vis.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do lower the seat height for every refuel. The important thing for me to connect and manain connection is the ability to see the fuel pod. If you can see the fuel pod you may see every little variation in its position relate to you and make instant correction to mantain the connection with the tanker.

I can't imagine refueling without adjusting the seat height; it's the only way I can maintain sight picture on the tanker pod.

What I like to do is put the HUD in cruise mode, then move the seat down so the heading tape is level with the metal sticking out on the right "prison bar." This gives me a sight picture where I can keep the pod in the forward glass and the canopy rail just touching the tanker's wing root.

The graphic below is mainly to show you where I adjust the seat (i.e. where I match the heading tape with the right prison bar). This isn't a great sight picture (I'm high and behind) because I had to take my hands of the controls to do an ALT+PrintScreen.

Screen_200816_172443.png

Edited by Home Fries

• 3 weeks later...