TPOD Laser Track Question

Chris P

I've been trying to get a bit more proficient using the TPOD and have noticed a quirk. If I laser designate a spot that is above ground, say a tall building roof or bridge, it seems the laser is locking on the ground level through it and as I approach the target, the laser spot moves as it tracks the ground instead of the actual spot on the target. Is this a known issue or is this the way it works IRL? (I can't imagine that it is...)

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would think in the real world, the laser beam is stopped by the roof and so the LGB hits the roof. But in DCS, I think the laser lases the ground behind the building but the LGB hits the roof because the roof happens to be in the way.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

an ins track would track a point on the ground irregardless of the building but a point track with flir contrast lock would track the target itself.

Thanks, I'll experiment a bit more and see if I can improve my hits.

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In modes not area or point track (the first unnamed mode) that would be expected behavior since the angle of the pod has nothing to do with the image on the screen. Instead it's a pure calculation of position against a computer terrain database. Presumably the building isn't in database. If there was a mountain in reality but not in the database then the pod would act like it's not there.

In area or point track it should optically stabilize based on the image on screen and so a building should be kept in center by angle but the calculation of how far away the surface of that building would be wrong though unless some kind of other ranging is used like radar or laser.