DCS: Syria Map - Helipad Locations

Bailey

40 minutes ago, buur said:

Thanks for the work guys. Great job!

@sirrah what is the meaning of the abbreviations and numbers in your map?

I understand VOR and NDB, think the next three letters are the morse code but what is the meaning of the rest of the numebers?

For example in Haifa

VOR 115,3 MHZ ROP 255/31

NDB 386 kHz RMD 317/26

They stand for degree and nm

All info came from @Bailey

On 9/2/2020 at 1:23 AM, Bailey said:

Hello. Based on the request to have a list of helipads from multiple people in the community, I would like to present a place where the community can combine that information until there is a better solution.

DCS: Syria Helipad Locations Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J-wohTXJOCPV9iP4FRSlRZyUi-GXFXtWGv0b_rC86YQ/edit?usp=sharing

This is a living document. This list relies on community support and identification. If you find a marked helipad in DCS, please contribute! If you find a marked helipad in Google Maps, please let the map developers know so we can hopefully get it in DCS. If you find any errors, please let us know.

KvYkS6I.jpg

~Bailey

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

43 minutes ago, buur said:

Thanks for the work guys. Great job!

@sirrah what is the meaning of the abbreviations and numbers in your map?

I understand VOR and NDB, think the next three letters are the morse code but what is the meaning of the rest of the numebers?

For example in Haifa

VOR 115,3 MHZ ROP 255/31

NDB 386 kHz RMD 317/26

VOR = The navaid is a VHF Omnidirectional Range beacon.
115.3 MHz = The radio frequency used to tune into the beacon (MegaHertZ in this example).
ROP = The three leter identifier for the name of the beacon.
255 = The radial from the VOR of the identified heliport location. (can loosely be thought of as the direction you need to go from the beacon to get to the location).
31 = The distance from the VOR of the identified heliport location.

Edited by Bailey

13 hours ago, buur said:

@Bailey thanks for the fast answer. Now its clear for me.

NDB is in kilometers? 

As according to the chart on the first post, yes. When you fly, you use whatever you got. 

Added Adana Lark North and South to the document in the first post. Geographically it's between the Adana hospitals.

Edited by Bailey

I had just been flying the SA342 on the Syria map and thought to come here to start a thread like this. Wow... you guys are way ahead of me. Nice work!

The "invisible FARP" static object can turn all of these into working spawn points, ...

EDIT : Sadly, not true. The "invisible FARP" will delete some of the helipads. Seems to knock out the static object on the map.

I've placed the portable TACAN beacons at a few. However, is there a way to get some of the other NDBs operational at these sites?

Another thing that occurred to me was to make a huge static template with the Invis-FARPS and accessories with appropriate national assets.

Anyway, thanks again for compiling all this... it is a terrific resource!

Edited by xvii-Dietrich
Corrected the point about invisible FARPs.

In Beirut, Lebanon, there is a hospital helipad at St. George Hospital University Medical center (atop the building) labeled with the appropriate "H" but when landing or taking off from there, the building's elevation is incorrect. This allows for landing through the building.

Attached is the track I made of it.

St. George Hospital helipad problem

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

22 hours ago, =Mac= said:

In Beirut, Lebanon, there is a hospital helipad at St. George Hospital University Medical center (atop the building) labeled with the appropriate "H" but when landing or taking off from there, the building's elevation is incorrect. This allows for landing through the building.

Attached is the track I made of it.

St. George Hospital helipad problem 646.3 kB · 1 download

Reported multiple times already

(I assumed it was fixed by now. Apparently not I guess)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

9 hours ago, sirrah said:

(I assumed it was fixed by now. Apparently not I guess)

There is a couple companies here in Toronto that are pretty good at building renovation. I can ask them if they can do the building repairs if I land their crew close the building and lift in their supplies and equipment.

(Just kidding: I can't lift cargo yet to save my life. I'm sure they would refuse my attempt offer. :))

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

On 12/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, Tommy_M_Gunns said:

I don't think this one is on you list/miz.  Single pad on small outpost.  A little ways East of SAA 4th South and Mezza AP, North of featureless artillery base.

N 33* 29" 4'   E 36* 8" 17'

Yes! That's a new one. I spent some time there to check it out, not bad at all. Took a swim, enjoyed the sights, and....oh wait...the owners who live here are driving up...gotta go! 😛

2021-01-02 20_15_25-Window.jpg
Mezzeh Artillery Summer Home. First post updated. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, Bailey said:

Yes! That's a new one. I spent some time there to check it out, not bad at all. Took a swim, enjoyed the sights, and....oh wait...the owners who live here are driving up...gotta go! 😛

Mezzeh Artillery Summer Home. First post updated. Thank you.

Updated the mission editor file and included this nice summer home 🏊‍♂️

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312093/

System specs:

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

Shu77 sent me over here to report a Heli base I found:-

Heli base 078' 2.9 nm from the northern end of the runway at Bassel AL Assad airfield Syria.

Wow I didn't know about this thread.

Its Saturday morning and I've now got loads to spend the day exploring!

Many thanks for this people:)

Edit:- From the download file I think it's already known......but hey heads up everyone:)  let's keep looking.....

2nd edit:- quite excited about having already made my 1st supply mission (attached). Anybody else got anything like this to play with?

maybe a new thread?

Sea Of Galilee Base supply.miz

Edited by drack

22 hours ago, drack said:

Hi Folks,

Shu77 sent me over here to report a Heli base I found:-

Heli base 078' 2.9 nm from the northern end of the runway at Bassel AL Assad airfield Syria.

Wow I didn't know about this thread.

Its Saturday morning and I've now got loads to spend the day exploring!

Many thanks for this people:)

Edit:- From the download file I think it's already known......but hey heads up everyone:)  let's keep looking.....

2nd edit:- quite excited about having already made my 1st supply mission (attached). Anybody else got anything like this to play with?

maybe a new thread?

Sea Of Galilee Base supply.miz 12.52 kB · 1 download

Yes, that one has been spotted and noted. Keep those eyes sharp, I feel like there are a few more out there that have not yet been discovered. And maybe a few more that are coming with the Syria map expansion!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the upcoming release of the next Syria Update I've been thinking about how I capture this document into my airfield diagrams.  I would like to adopt a very simple format for each heliport with a photo/screenshot of the landing pad as below.  

Catching a screenshot of each non-airfield is a big project in itself so If you would like to contribute and get an acknowledgement in the next release can I ask you to post a screenshot below with a reference to the relevant heliport in Baileys document and I will incorporate your screenshot into my next release.

SYRIA.png

• Like 3

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

2 hours ago, shu77 said:

With the upcoming release of the next Syria Update I've been thinking about how I capture this document into my airfield diagrams.  I would like to adopt a very simple format for each heliport with a photo/screenshot of the landing pad as below.  

Catching a screenshot of each non-airfield is a big project in itself so If you would like to contribute and get an acknowledgement in the next release can I ask you to post a screenshot below with a reference to the relevant heliport in Baileys document and I will incorporate your screenshot into my next release.

SYRIA.png

Need to do this in a few parts, as I'm limited to 5mb per post

Part 1

part 1 - adana-aleppo-bassel.zip

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 2

System specs:

part 2

part 2 - damascus.zip

part 3

part 3 - damascus.zip

part 4

part 4 - haifa-netafim-beirut.zip

Hope these are ok for you to work with

• Like 2

System specs:

These look awesome thank you!

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

In order to kick this off can I ask which of the examples below would be prefered? 

I am going to have another go at trying to do a rough map for each of the areas, but am wondering which format to use for the photos

heliport.png

• Thanks 1

cw1.png

3 hours ago, shu77 said:

In order to kick this off can I ask which of the examples below would be prefered? 

I am going to have another go at trying to do a rough map for each of the areas, but am wondering which format to use for the photos

heliport.png

Hmm, difficult choice..

Either B or C I'd say

Option B I think is the most useful (including the direction arrows)

Option C would require less kneeboard pages (my kneeboard is already growing out of hand)

• Like 1

System specs:

5 hours ago, shu77 said:

heliport.png

C Seems the best to me considering VR users and ease of updates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shu77 said:

heliport.png

Option C.

• Like 1

LOL, I had a little time up my sleeve so made a start and used Option A. As it is the easiest to maintain, C felt a little too much like a reuse of Baileys work with a picture.  I like B Better but the positioning of the arrows becomes specific to the image, so I may look at transitioning to that style as a next step.  Attached is the first regional slide, I will be working on the others this evening. 

SYRIA.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cw1.png