What does the "rod" at the front of the gunners cockpit do?

Milkyblue

I don't think you can: as far as I understand, only moderators can. Feel free to contact one of them :)

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

and no sir not refueling

AFAIK the CH53 can a2a refuel not sure of any other helos

but no thats a pitot tube

Pave Hawks can do that as well:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

derr knew i forgot some. theres others too but not production afaik

There are others indeed, even in production, like the Chinook:

Or the Super Puma:

Copyright-DGA-1.jpg?wid=991&fit=fit,1&qlt=85,0

/Sorry for OT

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The MH-53 Pave Low can do that too..... such a cool chopper.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

What I don’t get is the purpose of the vanes on these things. Like my MiG-21 or Ka-50, with 21 there is a dedicated AOA vane that is read by the gauge, and in the Ka-50 there is no gauge. So on both instances it’s there just for information the computer has? If so I don’t know how that would help the weapon system do it’s job, the 21 not needing it because it’s so simple and the 50 having plenty of means to find all the information it needs to get a weapon solution without AOA.

I always wondered if it’s just so the air data probe knows when to “read” when the vanes are in a certain range.

Unless it’s just a visual pilot aid, in case good try Soviets, making a high tech yaw string that reads AOA:)

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

What I don’t get is the purpose of the vanes on these things. Like my MiG-21 or Ka-50, with 21 there is a dedicated AOA vane that is read by the gauge, and in the Ka-50 there is no gauge. So on both instances it’s there just for information the computer has? If so I don’t know how that would help the weapon system do it’s job, the 21 not needing it because it’s so simple and the 50 having plenty of means to find all the information it needs to get a weapon solution without AOA.

I always wondered if it’s just so the air data probe knows when to “read” when the vanes are in a certain range.

Unless it’s just a visual pilot aid, in case good try Soviets, making a high tech yaw string that reads AOA:)

lmao no idea

wings of the red star, when discussing the mi24 i think they said the length, or maybe mig21s of length of pitot was to clear the aerial disturbance near the plane.

I asssume it must feed into airspeed etc

lmao no idea

wings of the red star, when discussing the mi24 i think they said the length, or maybe mig21s of length of pitot was to clear the aerial disturbance near the plane.

I asssume it must feed into airspeed etc

Well yeah, that’s what a pitot does:) but the vanes shouldn’t necessarily affect or be a part of it. Only these Soviet planes seem to have probes with vanes that don’t even feed into instruments

If you want to see a crazy tube, look at the MiG-19S. They must’ve been borderline paranoid about supersonic speeds decreasing the pitot tube accuracy. Our 19P has basically the same one but it’s not as impressive when mounted on the wing in a fixed mount

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On Mi24, that's exactly what it is. It's a visual aid for the pilot. It doesn't read AOA though, it will indicate yaw on vertical axis and climb or descent on horizontal one.

Edited by earnil

oh... Idk CASE 3 landing in a vietnam era combat mission where you saw combat and losses, and then landing at night CASE 3 in a storm may rank up there...

supposedly they did a study and found naval pilots had more stress at night landings then combat. I know a F4/F14 pilot said his stateroom mate recorded his flights and he noticed he stopped breathing before trapping. his body was automatically not breathing it was so overloaded I guess

OT again. Air refueling a chopper must be the most challenging task you can ever think of.

I would tend to agree it must be right up there. Mostly due to the fact the tanker is usally at it's slowest speed possible and the chopper is at it's fastest, combined with the fact the chopper has to sit quite high compared to the drogue so it doesn't chop it thus off placing it further into the prop wake of the refueller. Also if the refueller is using any sort of flap to help with the slow speed this creates even more turb behind the aircraft.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OT again. Air refueling a chopper must be the most challenging task you can ever think of.

Yeah (besides fixed wing night carrier landings)

(Sound warning)

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

A big part of it is that the Soviet aviation industry often had orders from the defence ministry to not reinvent the wheel - in other words, see what existing components satisfy your need before putting forth a request for new ones. In this case, there was a pitot tube with vanes that double as a visual aid, so why bother creating a new one?

the Soviet aviation industry often had orders from the defence ministry to not reinvent the wheel

Oh, come on! With laser gauges we can finally make the wheel 99.99999901% perfectly round. Think of the savings!!!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah (besides fixed wing night carrier landings)

(Sound warning)

oh dont get me wrong

standing under say the ford when it was in dry dock to me would be near as scary but thats partially some phobia stuff

thats still top 3 scariest things i can think of doing, especially routinely for some ppl.

For when you think AAR in a chopper is 'easy mode'...sling load as well.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]