Learning Priorities

redboot

I'm just starting to learn the FA-18 as a newcomer to flight sims. I've learned (i) taxi, take-off, straight-in landings, (ii) dumb bombs (CCIP) and rockets, and (iii) carrier take-offs. I've started on JDAMs and Radar. I only have about 3 hours a week to play and practice, so I have a longer than some ramp-up. Two questions:

1. What should I target first for learning? New weapons systems? ECM? Other?

2. At what point can I try multiplayer with reasonable capability? Do you need to learn every function first? Or can you dive in with only partial knowledge?

So you made the case that navigation should be learned before carrier landings:music_whistling:

Yeah, but if you can't find the boat you're just lost. If you can't land you could be dead.

It's best to learn both. :)

Buzz

Learning Priorities

If you have little time per week and want to get to the weapons first, I'd recommend learning A-A radar/weapons/SA, then A-G weapons/radar/TPod. This is done 'test pilot' style with air starts where you are just testing and learning the systems as opposed to flying missions. The rest like countermeasures, radio comms, take off/landing and nav can come later.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Do not learn anything weapon systems related. It's changing every week.

I've had to relearn TGP 3-4 times, jdams 2-3 times, laser bombs 2 times, mavericks 2 times, INS system 2-3 times, ACM modes 3-4 times, missile performance million times - it constantly shifts my timelines, and so on, you get the point. Waste of time.

Even flight model is not finished, but at least it doesn't change every week.

Someone suggested at this forum that learning systems as they are being introduced will be easier. Completely untrue.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

I've had to relearn TGP 3-4 times, jdams 2-3 times, laser bombs 2 times, mavericks 2 times, INS system 2-3 times, ACM modes 3-4 times, missile performance million times - it constantly shifts my timelines, and so on, you get the point. Waste of time.

Someone suggested at this forum that learning systems as they are being introduced will be easier. Completely untrue.

I think if systems had been released in a completed state it would have been sensible advice. As you point out though, it's been an exercise in frustration.

Well you not giving a time line for how long you have been flying the 18 versus this re learning makes this less than useful. Especially since I use the Mav F all the time and haven't had to re learn it so must disagree with that being a "waste of time". Now perhaps you are referencing that in conjunction with TGP use. That wouldn't be the fault of the Mav F itself as that hasn't changed in awhile now using it's own sensor.

Aviate..

Navigate...

Communicate...

Operate...

Aviate...Learn how to operate the aircraft. When you can do 25 cold starts, takeoffs and landings in a row without forgetting anything move on to ...

Navigate...learn how to fly point to point using all of the tools at your disposal. Learn what the information on the HUD, HSI, CDU screens means. Learn how to create way points and put them into a flight plan....

Communicate...learn how to use Simole Radio and the in game comes to communicate with your teammates...

Finally learn how to operate different weapons systems. Start with unguided dumb weapons and move in from there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Aviate..

Navigate...

Communicate...

Operate...

Aviate...Learn how to operate the aircraft. When you can do 25 cold starts, takeoffs and landings in a row without forgetting anything move on to ...

Navigate...learn how to fly point to point using all of the tools at your disposal. Learn what the information on the HUD, HSI, CDU screens means. Learn how to create way points and put them into a flight plan....

Communicate...learn how to use Simole Radio and the in game comes to communicate with your teammates...

Finally learn how to operate different weapons systems. Start with unguided dumb weapons and move in from there.

I'll add to the Navigate section: Learn how to navigate without waypoints, so Tacan and Visual navigation. In particular Tacan point to point (not directly to and from a beacon), and non-precision IFR approaches using Tacan

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

As they have said, navigation is the main thing. Insert waypoints, tacan, radios, etc, but after that, you can't go anywhere if you don't know how to defend yourself in the air, therefore the priority is radar, datalink and missiles. If you don't know how to defend yourself in the air, I don't think the multiplayer enemy will allow you to go into an area to do an air-to-ground attack. It will never reach its destination.

Aviate..

Navigate...

Communicate...

Operate...

This. Totally This...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Aviate..

Navigate...

Communicate...

Operate...

Exactly this. Learn to fly it, then learn to fight with it.

It's so well summed up!

So true ... unfortunately you are absolutely right! :cry: