If you dont have TrackIR5

Yeah from what I am reading, seems like I just need to buy the TrackIR5. I want it anyway, just don't really have the money. But all get it. I am still in training, I have a ways to go before I become a fighter pilot in DCS.

But I am not intersted in make shift DIY weirdenss. I guess all just use my controls the best I can. But I am glad to hear the TRACKIR5 is awesome. I look forward to buying it eventually.

Thanks for all the replies! Love DCS Cheers.

I know it's more money but when you buy TrackIR get it with the Pro Clip and don't depend on the hat clip it comes with. The Pro Clip won't be bothered by other light sources in the room.

Buzz

I used my trim control on my Warthog Joystick...I prefer it to my Trackir...The trim control I have been experimenting with. I use the weapons select on occasion and put the weapons on the number keyboard 1-2-3-4... I know its easier to turm my head, with my trackIR, but I cant hold my head steady when zooming in...!!

Hmm, sorry but I think you don't have trackIr setup correctly. Check out Jabbers Tutorial on youtube

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

What does this do exactly?

It keeps the mouse cursor visible while still allowing the mouse to control the view. Instead of moving the mouse around the cockpit to click switches, the mouse cursor remains in the center of your screen, and you adjust the view to place it over switches which you can click. It's not permanent, the same LALT+C will toggle mouse pan(view) -> mouse click -> click-and-pan -> repeat.

It keeps the mouse cursor visible while still allowing the mouse to control the view. Instead of moving the mouse around the cockpit to click switches, the mouse cursor remains in the center of your screen, and you adjust the view to place it over switches which you can click. It's not permanent, the same LALT+C will toggle mouse pan(view) -> mouse click -> click-and-pan -> repeat.
Interesting. So if you add "mouse buttons c to your HOTAS, you can click away without the mouse?

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I use TackIR5 but without the hat (used it for a while) and the clip. What's the purpose of a wireless headset if you use the usb trackclip?

Delan was the solution. The offer a nice Delanclip Fusion with integrated battery.

https://delanengineering.com/products/head-tracking-delanclip-fusion/

Not the cheapest solution, but it works fine.

are you saying TackIR5 works with the Delanclip?

are you saying TackIR5 works with the Delanclip?
Why wouldn't it? Whether it's the brand TrackIR or another brand/DIY solution. The technology is the same. A camera that looks at three infrared emmitters/reflectors.

I guess the only difference would be the framerate of the camera and/or the quality of the software.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I want to add another +1 for the homemade track IR option. I use OpenTrack and a PlayStation web cam, it cost just a few pounds/dollars and works brilliantly. Before that I used the mouse using my throttle hand which was ok for a short while.

I use TackIR5 but without the hat (used it for a while) and the clip. What's the purpose of a wireless headset if you use the usb trackclip?

Delan was the solution. The offer a nice Delanclip Fusion with integrated battery.

https://delanengineering.com/products/head-tracking-delanclip-fusion/

Not the cheapest solution, but it works fine.

I converted my TIR to wireless 9 years ago. Still on the same rechargeable battery.

http://sdsquad.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=58d22c32a53fbda54d5b7327aae810cb&topic=2403.0

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

This is a great thread. I'm in the same boat, training and already spent my $ on mods and a WH Stick and Throttle (got lucky on that!) for now. I've been messing around with trying to get 'something' to work until I can afford a head tracker. Seeing the other methods here and being a hacker for life I will try some other options. Thanks for the info.

For now, I have mapped the 'spare' 4 way on the WH Stick. The one left of the Sensor Control 4-way, just under the Weapon Release (red) Button :

Up = View Up Slow (NUM 8 )

RT = View Right Slow (NUM 6)

DN = View Down Slow (NUM 2)

LT = View Left Slow (NUM 4)

Then added a modifier using the Left Control Key, easier to reach the key while hand is next to the throttle :

LCTL + UP = View Zoom In Slow (NUM + key)

LCTL + RT = View Center (NUM 5 key)

LCTL + DN = View Zoom Out Slow (NUM / key)

LCTL + LT = Cockpit View (F1 key)

For now this sort of works for me to do the basic panning and looking around. I came from old school sim's, we only had POV 'hats' for the view controls, seems like forever. Far from perfect though.

Definitely looking at the other options listed here. The cockpit camera control, never thought about that, thank you.

Of NOTE : the so called 'View Slow' keys are REAL JUMPY and difficult to control, especially in a pause mode. A quick press and the view jumps too many degrees making it a real PITA to View 'Slow'. It should be called View 'Jumpy'. Mentioned this several times as a bug, no response from ED. Maybe too few of us use this daily?

---

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

I just use LALT+C and use the mouse.

It's inconvenient, but less so than having to take your hands of the stick to move the throttle and rudder (I have neither).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I see no advantage to wireless but a disadvantage of having to keep the battery charged. I already have a wire coming from the headset. Another wire for the TrackIR Pro Clip doesn't matter. I just ziptie both wires together and I don't even know it's there in use.

I suppose you could have a wireless headset and then it might make sense but then you have two batteries to keep charged. I'm not a fan of charging batteries all the time.

Buzz

For me head tracking is so far superior to any type of mouse or button or whatever it isn't even a contest. I have TIR5 and would not even fly if it died. Fortunately I could afford it. If it's too much for you, look real strongly at the DIY equivalents. I have enough to control w/ switches on the throttle and stick and dealing w/ moving my view by finger control ruined the experience. Maybe triple monitors could work but they would be a lot more than TIR5.

Looking around the cockpit is pretty important. If you don't have TrackIR 5, then what is a common technique to make the best of looking around?

With the F-18C you need to hit L-ALT C to look around, then go back to cockpit interactivity. I know I can use my HOTAS to look around with a HAT button, but that isn't that great. Unless the simple solution is to just practice at it. But it still feels weird, or unatural. And also, if you do have mouse control, it is prety hard to fly and use the mouse to look around at the same time, so there is that catch-22.

Is there any tips or techniques people use to look around the cockpit with ease to simulate a TrackIR 5 kind of thing? The mouse is the best solution, but switching between interactivy mode and look mode on the mouse seems not the best way. Unless it is the only way, I don't know.

I could have a button on my HOTAS that switches between the two modes and use the nipple on the X-52 (my training HOTAS, eventually all use my TM Warthog).

If there is slick and clever way to do this? Or simply what is the best setup, without a fancy TrackIR 5 device?

Thanks!

VR

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I flew BMS for 10 ish years using Track IR but once I got into VR now that has become my mandatory method of flying. If you are serious about flying you will need some type of HT. Regardless if it is TrackIR or some other combination to get the job done it is a game changer. Just as going from not HT to HT so is going from HT to VR. It steps up your ability to prosecute a WVR fight big time.

For me head tracking is so far superior to any type of mouse or button or whatever it isn't even a contest. I have TIR5 and would not even fly if it died. Fortunately I could afford it. If it's too much for you, look real strongly at the DIY equivalents. I have enough to control w/ switches on the throttle and stick and dealing w/ moving my view by finger control ruined the experience. Maybe triple monitors could work but they would be a lot more than TIR5.

Well I did both when I was using TIR5. I have a triple 27 inch monitor setup and prior to VR I was using TIR with that. The triple screen is nice but it doesn't replace HT.

Until VR became practical, TrackIR was the huge step toward immersion compared to using a mouse or POV hat. I have used TrackIR for at least three versions: TrackIR 3, 4, and 5. While you can save a ton of money doing it yourself, the TrackIR software has years of refinement and is native to almost every game/simulation that could benefit from it. I prefer the "Pro Clip" active LED to the passive hat mounted reflector. It eliminates some tracking issues. But TrackIR is overpriced for what you get and the "Pro Clip" is extremely flimsy.

The alternatives are much cheaper, but may not work as well. If you can find a used TrackIR 4 or 5 and use a third party or home-made equivalent to the "Pro Clip", you can have the best camera/sensor and save a lot of money.

I love the TIR 5. So when I thought my pro clip was failing, I bought a new one, even though I already had VR. I don't always fly VR because I also enjoy 4K graphics on a 49-inch screen. Of course, the real problem turned out to be my USB hub which wasn't powering up the LEDs correctly.

Now, casting immersion aside, I flew for years using an 8 position POV hat with snap views and a shift key for looking up per the standard view system for Aces High. If you are very proficient with that setup, you will do better at keeping situational awareness and having a stable view. If you set this up correctly to suit your needs, there is no need for TrackIR.

But I loved the immersion of the view moving with my head and having the POV hat free to be a trim switch or whatever control I needed it to be. It is similar to the way I currently have to tolerate inferior graphics quality, resolution, and frame rates to enjoy the immersion of VR.

I can fly without VR, but I won't fly without having either VR or TrackIR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you have 8-position POV, but only have one thumb, you won't be able to use sights at the same time as you switch weapons or do some other sort of simultaneous selection. The problem is not the number of buttons, the problem is when you have to do two things at once with a single thumb. I, for example, have the countermeasures and the speedbrake in POV. If I used POV to look back, I could not launch countermeasures or adapt my speed for a better turn. TrackIR is essential.

Really do appreciate the comments for those of us just starting out in DCS. However comparing to or saying you need TrackIR or VR does not really help here on the original OP's subject.

Believe me I know the difference, so no comparison in this thread is needed. I would, and probably the OP, would love to have TrackIR or equivalent or better yet even VR if I/we had the money. One of these day, look forward to it.

Thanks

---

Edited by Noluck
Formatting

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

Really do appreciate the comments for those of us just starting out in DCS. However comparing to or saying you need TrackIR or VR does not really help here on the original OP's subject.

Believe me I know the difference, so no comparison in this thread is needed. I would, and probably the OP, would love to have TrackIR or equivalent or better yet even VR if I/we had the money. One of these day, look forward to it.

Thanks

---

From the OP "Is there any tips or techniques people use to look around the cockpit with ease to simulate a TrackIR 5 kind of thing?"

Other types of HT would fall directly into the scope of the OP and I did mention SOME kind of HT not necessarily TrackIR.

I used 4 different headtrackers sofar, my first one was a diy solution with a normal webcam which didn't worked that well. Then i bought an edtracker (http://edtracker.org.uk/) which was the wireless version but i had a lot of interference with the signal and to many wlan signals around my place. After that i went for a trackhat (https://www.trackhat.org/), also the wireless solution which served me quite some time but the battery was a bit of a let down which lasted on my device only 3-3,5 hours. Then i went for the delanclip fusion (https://delanengineering.com/) which is sofar the best device i bought. So my recommendation is buy a complete package of the delanclip / delanclip fusion (for wireless). For me its the best bang for buck and still a lot cheaper than track ir. I just saw pictures of the tir clips but they don't look like a quality build for that amount of money.

If you own a throttle with a minijoystick you could also use that, but if you got used to headtracking there is nothing that comes close to the experience.

There are also some solutions where you put your phone on your head and use the gyro sensor so it tracks your headmovement.

Or if you own a good webcam you could print a piece of paper with some code on it and use it as a tracking device. Its called Aruco Marker.

And than there is also Facetracknoir, which is a program you can use that tracks your face instead of ir lights or a paper marker.

Just some ideas ;)

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick