Flying the Hind before Xmas

Mainstay

8 hours ago, sublime said:

I think you chose well - I hear great things about that module. I own the UH1 and love it

The gazelle and KA50.. I wouldnt advocate for as much. i know peoples heads are gonna fcking explode but I just.. dont like the KA50. IDK why.. 

the gazelle is a different story, different reasons I dont really like it.

Hello,

Yes, now there will be some reading of the manual's and stuf as it's due.

Well, if you don't like some model very much, then you don't like it - that's a subjective matter of personal preference only, I see no problem at all.

( As long as one doesn't start too objective / specific claims like: "fighter A" does have better radar and missiles, and maneuvers much better that "fighter B" ; I don't see why people would get 'mad'. )

About not liking some module, what I do before spending money is very simple:

Do I like this jet / helicopter in the real life, a little bit ? If yes, then I might buy it; otherwise I don't.

That said, my very first ED DCS module was: MiG-21bis, and FC3 came second as I missed flying the MiG-29 and F-15 also.

In the same way you don't see any propellers on my signature, as they are not much my thing. 

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Congratulations on purchasing the best DCS chopper (to date)! 🙂
It has the biggest rotor, so it's objectively best 😉
But seriously: it's a great DCS module, but also a great helicopter IRL. 11 tonnes of metal, 11 tonnes of joy. That is lots!
While it may be easier to quickly fall in love with Huey (it's just so adorable), in the long run I appreciate Mi-8 more for its versatility. It's just amazing how competent this bird is!

My dream is that Belsimtek people are putting as much love in the Hind as they clearly put in the Hip. If so - we can sleep easy, it's gonna rock like hell! Just don't rush it, folks, get a herring for Christmas. It's good. And healthy.

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

The Mi-8 will be great training for the Mi-24. Once the 24 arrives, you will say, “Oh, I know that from the Mi-8!”

• Like 1

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

13 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

Thank you guys.

...well, in the meanwhile I've just bought my first ED DCS helicopter a few minutes ago: Mi-8 MTV2VRS.

Although I always was more of a "jet fighter" guy, I'm also not strange to 1 or 2 helicopter sim / game, so I 'pulled the trigger' in a too good to let pass price on the Mi-8.

Slight mistake in your post there, I corrected that for you 😉  You will experience that quite frequently trying to handle that baby.

But all kidding aside, even though I am of that kind that would call the Mi-8 "old Russian junk", it is actually a very well made module which feels "real" and alive and all those Russian quirks and switches give it character and soul. Sounds stupid, but when I fly it I feel like a different person compared to the American gear.

I think you made an excellent choice there when it comes to preparation for the Hind, I am sure you will find several similarities between the two, in terms of cockpit, philosophy and flight model.

Wow, even writing this post makes me want to fire-up that baby, haven't done that in years, because I currently am in my fixed-wing episode. I'm off to the pit . :pilotfly:

Oh yeah, the VRS... But don't worry, it only takes two points to remember:
1. Don't think you're smarter than VRS, ever. You are not.
2. In Mi-8 "anti-VRS-duty" is a continuum, more "analog" thing, not a zero/one logic. You'll be just pulling the collective a few times as your speed (below ETL) is decreasing. If not - embrace the Earth 😉 It's perfectly doable once you notice this "analogness".

EDIT: And once you notice it and get more or less proficient, you will ignore point 1 above (like me) 😉

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

Getting out of VRS in the Mi-8 takes training and practice. But the main thing to watch for is your vertical speed at low horizontal speeds. And the closer you are to the ground, or landing, the slower your vertical speed should be. So as you approach a hover, do not be descending faster than 3-5 metres per second, and even less is better.

To escape VRS, do not simply pull collective. This will make matters worse. You must get out of your own "dirty" air, the rolling torus which your rotors create to give you lift. You must move forward, sideways or even backwards aggressively and decisively with use of the cyclic, and hold your nerve on use of the collective.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Thank you all for the insight!

Yep it takes patience, coordination and slow command inputs.

Managed to fly it in a more or less controled fashion (without ruining the generators) most of the time, also took it to around 19.000ft, but the landings are very poor yet.

Also read Chuck's manual on it, and I'm also aware of VRS.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I'm getting itchy for a new / upgraded helicopter.

I love the flight characteristics of the UH-1. What I don't like is it being un-armoured, limited with weapons, and slow. It seems like the black-hawk would be the perfect upgrade - giving everything of the Huey, plus better weapons, and speed - but doesn't look like it's on the horizon for many years yet.

The KA50 gives me the speed, armor and great weapon platform- but when I fly helo's I love the challenge of flying them. The KA50 is a challenge - but the wrong kind - fighting with the autopilot instead of the "stick and rudder" flight experience I love with the Helo. (I get that it's perfect for people that would struggle with conventional helicopters though). In my mind the AH-64 would be a great upgrade from the KA-50and give me all I'm looking for (except transport), but like the blackhawk - seems that there will be nothing on the horizon for years.

The upcoming Kiowa has sparked my interest and I reckon would be fun - - but I realize that as far as speed is concerned, it's not going to be much difference to the UH-1. 

This leaves the Hind. From what I can tell, it's a 'normal' helicopter as far as the flight characteristics are concerned, it's fast (google tells me it's slightly faster than the KA50), it's armored, and it's a 'real' helicopter. It can also carry troops and cargo. I'm just unsure as to how maneuverable it will be (compared to the UH-1) and was looking for some indications.

IMHO, from what @PilotMi8 wrote, it becomes clear that in any case, first we will see the AI GUI in the DCS: UH-1H Huey (possibly also a multicrew), since the BST are currently busy implementing these tasks in the first place. Only after these functions have passed beta testing, it will probably be possible to wait for the DCS: Mi-24P.

15.11.2020 в 13:53, PilotMi8 сказал:

комрады, пока что часть сил, которые трудятся над проектом 24го заняты более важной (читай - более срочной) задачей, которая оказалась сильно более сложной, чем сначала на нее спланировали время.

Однако из положительного - эта важная задача делается для Хьюи (пока что), но результат ее решения почти на 100% пойдет в Ми-24!))

Проблема в том, что у наших проектов часть работы детерминирована (т.е. знаем как делать), а другая - (которая касается нового функционала или является углублением/переработкой сделанного ранее) - так вот другая часть - "вероятностна", т.е. не всё видится сразу полной картиной. Да, жаль, планы сдвигаются, но мы стараемся и никто не простаивает!

1606338750__.thumb.png.9c7a2d3514e57c9e65f9f5c03d8500a7.png 801044545___.thumb.png.c415833f90c8437e8f0596d26508eada.png ободрить вас!))

1242942334__.thumb.png.f67958f3ef9d032d214bec65af973cc0.png

532315566___.thumb.png.2dce075af312b822a6a0d0bf4964c914.png

Скрытый текст

Original in Russian

ИМХО, из того, что писа́л @PilotMi8, становится понятным, что в любом случае сначала мы увидим GUI-ИИ в DCS: UH-1H Huey (возможно ещё и мультиэкипаж), т.к. в настоящее время BST заняты реализацией этих задач в первую очередь. Только после того, как эти функции пройдут бета-тестирование, вероятно можно будет ждать DCS: Ми-24П.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
UPD.
  • Like 2

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

13 hours ago, МаксиM said:

Well, as I understand it, there is almost no work left as such, there is mainly finishing and fixing bugs and problems with the AI of the co-pilot 

Can you please elaborate on what that is referring to? AI GUI and Multicrew in UH-1, or Hind?

Also - re bug fixing - sometimes that can take longer than the development. 😉

17 minutes ago, Mainstay said:

If I recall @Wags correctly, he said in an interview a while ago that we should expect big news about the Hind soon.

Soon is becoming a long time now... really wanted to see some updates before the end of the year. 

Indeed, a nice video above Syria and then : "The Tartare step" ! 😔

I can't imagine that in 5 months time nothing was done on the beast...

Edited by Razorback

2 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Can you please elaborate on what that is referring to? AI GUI and Multicrew in UH-1, or Hind?

Also - re bug fixing - sometimes that can take longer than the development. 😉

as @PilotMi8 said, "almost 100% will go to Mi-24!))" so AI GUI and Multicrew for both Huey and Mi-24

(Above quoted full sentence)

On 12/11/2020 at 11:46 PM, МаксиM said:

Well, as I understand it, there is almost no work left as such, there is mainly finishing and fixing bugs and problems with the AI of the co-pilot 

Well those things can take a lot of time, especially the multi-crew part. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 12/12/2020 at 11:25 PM, Dangerzone said:

Well, one can only hope that the plans are for releasing prior to Christmas and they're on target, but keeping very quiet because they don't want to get caught out if there's a problem before release and having to delay it - disappointing a lot of people.   One can hope.... 

Not a chance this will be released before xmas, or in 2020, it would go into early access for open beta users like all their other modules, and there's been zero announcements about EA
I'd not expect the Hind until end of Q1 2021 at the very earliest

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

12 hours ago, Oban said:

Not a chance this will be released before xmas, or in 2020, it would go into early access for open beta users like all their other modules, and there's been zero announcements about EA
I'd not expect the Hind until end of Q1 2021 at the very earliest

My reference was hoping that we'd see it in OpenBeta at this stage - I certainly wouldn't expect it to be stable before Christmas - but if it's in Open Beta, then it's purchaseable as a gift. 🙂

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Thanks 1