Question @heatblur regarding the A-6 Canopy

alexkon3

Hello!

I may have quite a weird request towards HB but this is something that is getting on my nerves for quite some time now. Over the years I have grown very fond of the A-6 Intruder and the prospect of seeing it joining DCS as a highly detailed model makes me really excited. Over the years I have been gathering as much information on the "Tadpole" as possible Including many Scale-drawings... now you see I have have found many problems with those drawings who all draw the canopy of the Intruder with the "bubble" on the Pilots side in a kinda "raised" position so that the canopy loses its symmetry and this is kinda driving me nuts:

http://imgur.com/a/N8DYcts

you can see the problem when you look at the refueling probe:

http://imgur.com/a/3rDYqJH[

once I noticed this I saw this problem (or is it?) in in multiple books and articles. Some even had multiple drawings either with the "extended" pilots "bubble" or with a normal symmetrical canopy. Now it is actually quite hard to get to the truth regarding this, it could ofc just be a bad drawing, but then again how exactly could I check that? There are multiple drawings of it all with different interpretations regarding this. Photos don't really help either since you don't really often see an angle of the aircraft directly from the front....

now if only there was a studio out there who happen to have actually scanned a real life Intruder :shifty:

It may sound like a weird request but could you maybe inquire this for me with your 3d artists? Or with the people who scanned it to check this for me? Is the canopy symmetrical or is the drivers position canopy part raised a bit like in the above drawing? Its a stupid thing I know but ever since I saw that it really annoys me hahaha

Best wishes

Alex

Edited by alexkon3

• 2 weeks later...

Not speaking for heatblur or anything regarding an A-6 in DCS. Now that the disclaimer is there I will say the pilots seat is higher than the BN. Same was true in the front seat of the Prowler. I'm sure that there is a bit of asymmetry with the canopy but it's hardly noticeable. I never noticed when I was on cruise.

V/R,

Ohgr

VCVW-11 "Vapor"

USN AE 2001-2015

Heatblur Tomcat Tester

• 2 weeks later...
Not speaking for heatblur or anything regarding an A-6 in DCS. Now that the disclaimer is there I will say the pilots seat is higher than the BN. Same was true in the front seat of the Prowler. I'm sure that there is a bit of asymmetry with the canopy but it's hardly noticeable. I never noticed when I was on cruise.

thank you. So if the asymetry exists its not as pronounced as in this bad drawing, is it?

Former Intruder (AIMD) mech here. I've replaced lots of that glass at Whidbey years ago an don't recall any height difference from left to right glass (and I sat on top quite a lot of them in the fixture drilling all of them damn holes).

Former Intruder (AIMD) mech here. I've replaced lots of that glass at Whidbey years ago an don't recall any height difference from left to right glass (and I sat on top quite a lot of them in the fixture drilling all of them damn holes).

Wow awesome. Thank you very much, I guess its really just a bad drawing after all. Thank you!

Wow awesome. Thank you very much, I guess its really just a bad drawing after all. Thank you!

You are welcome.

The old glass makes for excellent sleds for kids, just drill two holes and add a rope.

EA-6Bs were worse and they had an inner plate to remove to get to the nuts (Rivnuts). More work. But the gold inlaid glass made for great motorcycle windscreens after a few cuts :)