DCS F18C Cluster Bomb Lesson Problem

Petercove

I am fairly new to DCS. I am not sure I am doing anything wrong but I am having an issue with the last of the training lessons.

After pushing spacebar and the sim unfreezing I have set up the Retarded Bombs OK and successfully drop the munitions on the vehicles at W1 (Tgt1). I then head for Waypoint 2. I set the HSI to W2 and designate it as the target. I repeat what I did for the first one and the bombing cross comes down. I hold it on target and at 3500 I pickle the bombs whilst holding the cross on target. At 2500 I commence the pull out not going below 1500. However the bombs dont come off. I have circled around and bombed again twice but it is the same story. ARM switch is armed and I am still in AG.

Any clues gratefully accepted. Was going to load up the track file but running the 8 meg file thru Winzip only dropped it to 7.9.

Peter

Hi,

First of all can you say which mission you are actually flying? In the 'Canister Munition' Training mission there are no retarded bombs loaded, so it can't be that one. Is it the final 'Weapons Qualification' mission on the Nevada map? If not I can't find the mission you are talking about.

What version are you running? I tried both the missions above and the Rockeyes drop ok, I am on 2.5.6.54046

Maybe take a screenshot as you dive on the target and we can take a look at the setup?

Are you trying to drop in AUTO or CCIP mode?

Thanks

Thanks Guys. Must have been tired. Yes its the cluster bombs. I will look for DUD. The instructor mentions that in the briefing. The version is the latest beta I believe. Will confirm next post.

So when I start the mission the instructor tells me to set to CCIP, MFUZ to VT and height to 1500.

Does this setting apply to all the cluster bombs fitted on the wing. Or do I need to revisit the Stores page between targets? Will check that out today. Thanks for addressing my questions. I am sure there will be a few more ;-)

Peter

Tried again but same result

First bomb went OK as usual after second attempt at Target 1. A couple of goes at target 2 with no drops then ran out of fuel. Was hoping to glide onto local airfield but have yet to learn how to drop the gear with no electrics.

Attached some pics showing version and screens from Target 1 and the troublesome target 2.

Cheers

Peter

version.thumb.JPG.33fcd47472dfce897d00b12fc79bb979.JPG

TGT1.thumb.JPG.806d87b48bbb64b5aeec51d2f60db820.JPG

TGT2.thumb.JPG.7c8009617b6b6a88d50cd873f27c6119.JPG

I thought I had seen the horizontal line dropping down the bomb fall line but will have another go tomorrow.

In Auto/CCRP you will see a horizontal line only it works differently. It will be above velocity vector symbol and as you approach target you press and hold bomb release before it intersects velocity vector. in CCIP mode the horizontal line is showing you how far out of view the impact point is so as you dive down it gets closer to impact point until you can see the cross. I think its switching back to Auto since you"re toggling to a new waypoint and designating a new target so it defaults back to auto.

The way I do it is designate WPT as Target, when close enough for roll in, I start dive against target and as soon as I see the target diamond in the HUD I press Undesignate which puts the bomb in CCIP mode.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

That sounds excellent Chris, Yes the initial problem was the thing going back into AUTO mode. So now enroute to the next target I made sure I was back in CCIP mode and no problems. Thank you very much guys for your help. Appreciated.

Peter