this really helped my x56

rwbishUP

Got tired of the poorly designed (lack of centering and resistance) mechanism on my x56. But I'm satisfied with everything else. So drilled 4 small holes, corresponding with the base mounting holes, on the locking collar. And added 4 small springs, attached them to my mounting bolts and it worked out really good. I can stay way more stable in precision flight, especially AAR. The resistance increases nice and evenly when adding more input. The stick stays centered much better on it's own, was able to drop my deadzone settings. The springs I added are only about 1.5 lbs resistance. I'm going to change them out with some that are just a bit stronger when I get a chance to go to the hardware store. But for such an easy mod, it has made a big difference. For me anyway.

IMG_20200828_150446.thumb.jpg.f73f0b8a9fd92ca4b4245b04997e657d.jpg

IMG_20200828_150459.thumb.jpg.39d948a64411bc3e918cb69635925478.jpg

• Like 4

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

• 2 months later...

The Spring MOD for the x56 is a "Game-Changer." I used an automotive clamp and tie-wrap to complete my mod earlier this year.

• I like the idea of using the locking collar as a mounting point for the springs.
  • The locking collar is not really necessary, so I don't even use it in my current setup; it is just sitting in the original box with the other springs as "spare parts."

When I get some inspiration and time, I will probably use the locking collar but modify it first by reinforcing it and making it so the springs can be more easily attached.

I want to swap out hefty springs for jets and very light springs for helicopters and formation flying. ( First world problems - lol )

• Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

@YSIAD_RIP, I couldn't really find anything to mod the x56, to help the slop in stick centering. Other than that issue, I really like the hotas. I will eventually upgrade to either the WinWing or the trusty timeless TM Warthog. But only after my x56 wears out, I just can't afford that right now. I like the idea of the quick interchangeable springs, didn't think of that. I want to switch to a more robust spring tension.

I've been wanting to use some of the extra space inside the base of the throttle for something. I thought about making two led afterburner recognition lights, that would be mounted in the top front of the throttle base. Utilize a point in the throttle pots as the actuator, but just for flash. Then I decided to use 2 weighted vibrator motors (it's not like it sounds lol), I removed from some old cell phones. I'm tweaking the circuit right now on my proto board. My goal is, once the throttles reach what would normally be the detent. The vibration would slowly fade in and get a little bit stronger up to full burner. Just something to give me a reason to make something mostly, lol.

• Like 1

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

@ rwbishUP: Good luck with your mods, building and problem-solving is good for the soul! Lol...

Regarding X56 "Slop":

• Stiffer springs should help. ( I found good stiff 75mm springs at my local Home Depot )
  • Have you used the Logitech Software and the built-in Calibrate AXES utility? After I installed my springs, I found that I had to re-center / Re-Calibrate the stick because of the new springs.

10151108_LogitechX56CalibrateSettings.JPG.27faeae278d25f8c7dc722a1e9ec7c66.JPG

• If I get more interested in Helicopters in DCS I plan to try out a version of the Hydraulic Springs Dampers like what is seen in This DCS Thread.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

no, I haven't tried the logitech software for calib. but I definitely will now, thanks for that tip! if you try the hyd dampers, keep me updated, thanks and good luck

• Like 1

Great update... Glad the spring mod worked out so well for you too. The simplicity and effectiveness of this mod makes me wonder why Logitech does not just include it as an option in future.

I've contacted Logitech a couple of times with a suggestion of a better fitting plastic spring seat to be more congruent around the base and also to have a tighter fit around the main shaft as it moves up/down. But in reality I don't think with all those moving parts you would end up with a better solution than you designed.

I was thinking of attaching to the corner bolts all around the perimeter base a tube to attach 2 extra side springs and maybe a mid front and back spring as well.

• Like 2

I've contacted Logitech a couple of times with a suggestion of a better fitting plastic spring seat to be more congruent around the base and also to have a tighter fit around the main shaft as it moves up/down. But in reality I don't think with all those moving parts you would end up with a better solution than you designed.

I was thinking of attaching to the corner bolts all around the perimeter base a tube to attach 2 extra side springs and maybe a mid front and back spring as well.

That sounds like a good project. I'm all about customizing stuff and finding ways to make it better. I'm always tearing apart my kids toys to "make them better" lol.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Add another to the 4 spring mod club. What an improvement.

Are you guys still using the center (stock) spring or just the 4?

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

23 hours ago, Sr. said:

Add another to the 4 spring mod club. What an improvement.

Are you guys still using the center (stock) spring or just the 4?

No, I removed the centre spring...it's a must to get the full smooth feel of the stick movement.  You can thread a needle with the refuel probe.

Paulin 7/16 X 3 1/8E Utility Spring
Model # 311-626|Store SKU # 1000127107

This is a finely wound spring that allows for a softer smooth constant load on the stick from centre to full range.

As has already been mentioned, re-calibrate the stick whenever you do any spring adjustment.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by fitness88

Man! Took a short time to get used to, but what a difference. I think I might need some slightly stiffer springs but, I like it so far.

But I bet I still can't Air refuel lol!

Do you use a particular saturation or just default in DCS axis controls?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Man! Took a short time to get used to, but what a difference. I think I might need some slightly stiffer springs but, I like it so far.

But I bet I still can't Air refuel lol!

Do you use a particular saturation or just default in DCS axis controls?

Sat x & y @ 100 you may want to have a slight user curve try 5-15.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:25 PM, fitness88 said:

Sat x & y @ 100 you may want to have a slight user curve try 5-15.

Trust me, you'll get it, even without the spring mod. I fought and fought against myself trying AAR. Then I finally went by RedKites tutorials for AAR, and after a very short time I was connecting with the boom and drogue for a couple seconds. I got used to being so close to the tanker and relaxed and now it's pretty natural, especially fueling the Viper. The Tomcat took me a little longer, then I turned off Jesters mic..... 

Good to hear that the springs worked out for ya, I still want to get a premium quality HOTAS, but it's just not a big priority. But since I did the mod to my x56, and found the right springs. It will do just fine for a good while.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, fitness88 said:

Why are you looking to drill into the locking collar?

To get the spring mod on, though I guess I could use a hose clamp as someone else here did.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

12 hours ago, Mower said:

I don't have a drill press...how difficult is it to drill into the locking collar?

not at all

--Arthur C Clark

You can use a hose clamp but I preferred to use a zip tie works very well. Attach all 4 springs first to stick then stretch 1 by 1 to the corner screws...when centered spring should only need minimum pull to corner.  I got 4 screws, nuts and washers and 3" springs from Home depot.  Remember to re-calibrate the stick after finishing setup

To get the best out of it you must remove the existing centre spring this will also allow an absolutely smooth transition out of centre allowing for minimum 1 or 2 dead band...absolutely no stiction!

Have you seen the set-up here is mine.

Picture 5.jpg

Edited by fitness88
  • Like 1

On a side note, when using DCS axis setting, I notice the throttle increases thrust going from top right corner down to bottom left corner shouldn't it be the opposite?

I also checked the Logitech X56 software setting and it is the same there as well.

Any thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, Blinde said:

This looks very interesting. I'll propably try this for my X-55 which is basically the same stick. Could someone post more pics of the center piece or the collar where those springs attach?

I use a strong zip tie around the fastening plastic collar, some use a radiator clamp...zoom in on my pic.

Make certain the springs are set equal distance to get good balance and also make certain the metal spring loop at the spring end where the zip tie goes through should all be facing in either /\ or out \/ so you have balance...remember to get rid of the stock centre spring and calibrate the stick after your finished.

Edited by fitness88
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fitness88 said:

I use a strong zip tie around the fastening plastic collar, some use a radiator clamp...zoom in on my pic.

Make certain the springs are set equal distance to get good balance and also make certain the metal spring loop at the spring end where the zip tie goes through should all be facing in either /\ or out \/ so you have balance...remember to get rid of the stock centre spring and calibrate the stick after your finished.

How tight do you adjust that zip tie? That pic is quite low res and those details are a bit hard to see, especially with zoom.

Edited by Blinde

59 minutes ago, Blinde said:

How tight do you adjust that zip tie? That pic is quite low res and those details are a bit hard to see, especially with zoom.

Feed the end of spring loops first onto the zip tie then loosely secure the zip tie around the knurled plastic locking collar so that the springs can be moved enough to allow for proper equal distancing. The flange just underneath the locking collar will keep the zip tie from slipping off.  Then you place the springs 1 by 1 onto your corner bolts and tighten, then do a final balance of the spring loops, then pull tight on the zip tie...finally do a stick calibration.

Remember to first remove the stock centre spring the unit comes with.

Also I was lucky on the first purchase to find the 3" springs with the amount of tension I wanted...very important that you have a slight bit of tension when stick is centred otherwise it will have looseness.

Picture 7.jpg

Edited by fitness88
  • Thanks 1