Syria map and FPS issues

Talon Karde

Hi there,

I notice a significant loss of FPS while flying over Syria (compared to PG or Caucasus). So I try to tweek my settings but I am definitively not a pro when doing this. I don't know what impact have different sliders...

I have an Nvidia 1060, 16 Go RAM but I thing my CPU is the weak part of my PC (old i5 so when a game mostly use GPU there is no problem, but when another game use CPU a lot, crisis happens :lol:)

What settings do you guys use with this card?

Thx !

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB

This video was really usefull for me :

Now I can play the map smoothly. Negative point is that I had to lower quality regarding to what I have in Caucasus or PG.

Talon Karde

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

Blog Takarde Gaming

This video was really usefull for me :

Now I can play the map smoothly. Negative point is that I had to lower quality regarding to what I have in Caucasus or PG.

Setting the power to "optimal" doesnt always have nil effect. In the Normany map for instance it reduces my 1080 to a stuttering mess. Same in Syria. There is some very dubious reasoning in this video.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Setting the power to "optimal" doesnt always have nil effect. In the Normany map for instance it reduces my 1080 to a stuttering mess. Same in Syria. There is some very dubious reasoning in this video.

So you recommand to select max performance?

What would you change ?

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming

So you recommand to select max performance?

What would you change ?

I would say "experiment". Your mileage will definately vary! This is no one size fits all. This is what works for me. I stress "for me". I5 6600K with a small OC to 4.2Ghz, 32GB RAM and a GTX 1080 with a small 5% OC.

Also remeber that apart from the power there is very little in the NCP anymore. No magic bullets. Just a little polish. The game settings are really where you need to concetrating primarily.

Check carefully that the .exe you are profiling is actually the .exe you are launching the game with. Ensure this by browsing to the exe you know is right. Do not just pick the "DCS Blackshark" from the list. Rightly or wrongly I use the updater.exe to launch the game not the Run.exe. I cant remeber if this is the default thats selected when you install the game so best to check.

I certainly would have "prefer Max performance" set in the game specific tab (Optimal in general). His recommendation for using Triple Buffer is also likely off as thats for Open GL applications not D3D but I dont tihnk it hurts D3D it just doesnt affect it.

The recommendations for VR settings are an odd one for me. I play 2D but find that setting the max pre-render to 3 seems to help reduce what little Track IR stutter I have. It shouldnt..everythng says it shouldnt...but it does. I dont think its a placebo. I spent a full half day flying the same mission with it at default, application controlled and 3. I dont agree with his assertion that increasing the number induces stutter. If anything I would have thought, increasing the pre render of frames anywhere should help to reduce it (at the cost of lag).

Setting the Texture Filtering to a lower value (performance or even high) allows the Tri-linear optimisation to work which can help a little without too much of a hit in image quality.

I leave the low latency mode at "OFF". This ensures the pre-render level is set by the game. If I could be bothered, Id use Nvidia Profile Inspector to force the value to 3 as I think the old "Max pre-rendered Frames" is still working, its just no longer in the NCP as a menu item.

Allowing the LOD bias to CLAMP is good when you are using higher values of Ansiotropic filtering and setting it to ALLOW is good when you are not. The former will allow things like runway markings to appear clearer in the distance and reduce some anti-aliasing whilst the latter will gave you a couple of fps back. Ensure you set the same level of AF in the NCP as you do in the game. I cant remember if one or both have an effect. You could test.

FXAA is no substute for the in game MSAA but will save you fps. It dont look as good and you may even think your eyesight is failing. But its an option. Personally I wont use it. Yuk. Nasty.

The New HAG feature that came with Windows Build 2004 and the latest nvidia drivers also has a beneficial effect for me and my creaking 6600K/1080 @ DSR'd faux 1440p resolution. Helps on the airfield with lots of statics and not so static objects.

As DCS runs my rig somewhere between 65-100 fps at low/medium alts with resonable mission activity I am bound to Vsync given my low spec 60hz TV. I dont cap frames and I dont use fast or adaptive. All of those induce uneven frame pacing and, as a result, stutter. I use Vsync from the NCP not the game. Many say it costs performance but i prefer a few less even frames than a few more blasted out willy nilly at me. The higher your monitor can refresh, the less this would be an issue.

REMEMBER vysnc will kick you in the ass if your frames fall below your monitor's refresh so its vital for smoother game play not to get too ambitious with the game settings based on a free flight at 30000ft over the caucs.

Main In game settings - Water - Medium (unless Im using a carrier then high), Ground textures LOW for Syria and Cauc and High for PG, Shadows Medium (this varies - sometimes high), Textures High (also varies sometimes medium), Visibility-Ultra, Heatblur- Low, MSAA X2, no other AA enabled, Terrain Object Shadows (Flat on Syria and Cauc, Default on PG --- less tress), Global illumiation - off, Full screen on.

Windows setting - disable full screen optimastion (right click on the desktop launch icon to get to this) - Jury is out - seem to suffer more problems with it disabled than I benefit performance wise. Will likey turn this back on.

I still suffer from little jerks in Syria if im using a heavy IADS or MOOSE script or if i just have too much stuff going on at once (especially blowing up) but this is probably more my poor old I5 banging its head than anything else.

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Sticky for me, nice layout Booster.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

I would say "experiment". Your mileage will definately vary! [...]

Thx! Using the video and your tips I managed to improve my performance above Syria without loosing too much details :thumbup::joystick:

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming

Happy it helps. Thanks fellas.

I also found that my Avast (Free) was having fits and causing a big "tick" twice every 60 seconds even if I disbled the sheilds to so I turned off the stuff i dont need (primarily the mail scan) and did a few other service tweaks through the app installer/modifier following the advice here:

Should have mentioned that in the first post as this was the BIGGEST of the PITAs initally for me.

Edited by Boosterdog

• 3 weeks later...

i run the Hormus map (graphic all on max) on 60fps (vsynch) most of the time with 3440x1440 on my new system (signature). But i get huge fps drops and little stutterings on the Syria map !

I changed many things and lowered down at last the quality but it does NOT take much effect!

But when i opened the task Monitor (performance tab) i noticed a huge difference in RAM usage . While i have only 50% on Hormus, on Syria i have most times and especially when fps drops down near 98% of my 32GB !

i fear this is the forst map which required 64GB RAM for max settings on high resolutions or is there a setting which i have overseen like these old Win memory settings ?

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick