Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

6 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

Been testing out this mod and it's very cool so far!

I had one quick q: is there an easy way to adjust the TIME the smoke lasts? I prefer to have my wreckage burning for a very long time, so the battlefield is full of smoking ruins. I assumed there way a setting somewhere in one of the files that you can adjust the time in seconds that the fires burn for? Thanks for any tips!

You can play with smokeLifeC value in FireVehicle.lua

Just be careful that if you fill the battleground with smoke, your fps will tank.

Edited by Taz1004

8 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

You can play with smokeLifeC value in FireVehicle.lua

Just be careful that if you fill the battleground with smoke, your fps will tank.

Thanks, I'll mess with this!

Yeah, I understand why the default time values in most smoke/dust mods are conservative, as to not crash people's machines and FPS. However I have a new RTX 3090 build so I like to pump things up to the extreme to see how it holds up. 

local fireLife = 2
local smokeLifeC = 4 -- 2
local smokeLife = 8*smokeLifeC
local lifeTime = 120

Are these values in Minutes? Should I increase them all or just smokeLifeC?

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

2 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Actually smokeLifeC is for how long each particle lasts.  Duration just below those lines and how long they emit for.  It's in seconds.  So by default 15 -25 minutes.

Roger that, so the duration values are the one I need to change.

Duration = {{0, 900}, {1, 1500}}

Is it a random time between 900 and 1500 seconds?
So would it be ok to change this to something like:

Duration = {{0, 2700}, {1, 3600}}  // 45 to 60 mins

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

19 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Roger that, so the duration values are the one I need to change.

Duration = {{0, 900}, {1, 1500}}

Is it a random time between 900 and 1500 seconds?
So would it be ok to change this to something like:

Duration = {{0, 2700}, {1, 3600}}  // 45 to 60 mins

Based on when the smoke changes stages, the duration is constant to my knowledge.  But I was never patient enough to wait 25 minutes to actually time it.

The documentation also says

"The duration of an effect can also be specified in code as a parameter when creating an effect."

So it may not be exact 15 or 25 minutes.  You just have to play with it.

Hi Taz,

I really love this Mod! But I think there is a problem with V8.1 SP:

Now all moving Vehicle light up as if on fire:

Screen_210112_220839.png

As soon as they stop, the lights sources are out, so I think it may have to do with the smoke or dust trails of the vehicles.

Other than that, no Problem.

Cheers, Flo

Hi @Taz1004,

In the 8.1 changelog you mentionned fixing an issue with glowing vehicles.
We are having the same issue in the DCS Liberation mod/tools, but we are unable to determine the root cause, especially since we do not change anything related to special effects.

That would be awesome if you could explain what was the action required to fix this bug for Better Smoke ? 🙏

Thanks,

@PapaFlo Are you running a DCS Liberation mission ? This might actually be Liberation fault. 😅

Edited by Khopa

1 hour ago, PapaFlo said:

Hi Taz,

I really love this Mod! But I think there is a problem with V8.1 SP:

Now all moving Vehicle light up as if on fire:

As soon as they stop, the lights sources are out, so I think it may have to do with the smoke or dust trails of the vehicles.

Other than that, no Problem.

Cheers, Flo

I can't replicate that issue on my end.  As Khopa suggested, it may be related to another mod.

BetterSmoke.jpg

@Khopa Well, I just commented the "Lights =" in FireVehicle.lua for debugging and forgot to uncomment them.  So I simply uncommented for 8.1 basically, reverting back to default as far as lighting goes.

AFAIK, Liberation just creates mission file does it not?  I don't see how a mission file can cause that.  If it lights up when moving and goes away when stopped, it may be related to the dust particle file which are:

\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects\

TankDirt.lua:  Dirt particle for tank which is disabled on my mod because it seemed redundant to Dust particles.  And caused flicker.

TankDust.lua:  Tank dust particles at high speed.  Above 20km/h

TankDustLow.lua:  Tank dust particles at low speed.  Less than 20km/h

VehicleDust.lua:  Other vehicle dust.

So I would test at what conditions those lights come on.  And narrow it down from there.

Edited by Taz1004

21 minutes ago, Khopa said:

@PapaFlo Are you running a DCS Liberation mission ? This might actually be Liberation fault. 😅

Yes, you're right. It was from a Liberation mission. I just testet an instant action mission and all was good. I never thought, this could be from Liberation. As I don't use other mods that would change dust, smoke or fire effects and it was my first flight with V8.1 SP, so I suspected it to be a problem with BetterSmoke.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you both for you're quick answers. 

Thanks for your feedback @Taz1004, this is really helpful 🙂
We are not changing anything in the game files, but we are including some Lua script in our generated missions, so maybe they could be overriding the values defined in these lua files from the scripting context ? I'm going to dig.

Thanks again 👍

@PapaFlo Yes, it's definitely on our side and not BetterSmoke fault. 

• Thanks 1

Hey @Taz1004 thanks for this mod, just finding it now, its a great improvement on the regular "smoke", but, I when an aircraft augers in; I'm seeing a very regular "rectangle" of smoke at the moment of impact... i don't know if this is an effect of the mod or if it's just its more obvious because of it now?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Hey @Taz1004 thanks for this mod, just finding it now, its a great improvement on the regular "smoke", but, I when an aircraft augers in; I'm seeing a very regular "rectangle" of smoke at the moment of impact... i don't know if this is an effect of the mod or if it's just its more obvious because of it now?

You mean when aircraft crash?  I did not modify aircraft crash smoke other than increase its duration as requested.  Do you have screenshot of it?

yes aircraft crash, i didn't get a screen grab of it it was just the F18 vs MIG 29 dogfight mission in the Caucuses, its pretty consistent i did it couple of times. as i said , it might just be because of the smoke density its more obvious?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

no worries, its not a big deal 🙂 thanks, good luck on getting the new stick!

• Like 1

@Taz1004With the soon to arrive volumetric clouds coming to DCS in Q1, do you think that "Even Better Smoke" will be possible from you or Eagle Dynamics in the near future too?  

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

4 hours ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

@Taz1004With the soon to arrive volumetric clouds coming to DCS in Q1, do you think that "Even Better Smoke" will be possible from you or Eagle Dynamics in the near future too?  

We'll have to see but it is my hope that this mod becomes obsolete.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EasyEB said:

Taz, you ever find how to edit A-10 gun smoke? I’ve had no luck.

Knew I forgot something.  You wanted it bigger?  By how much.  Below is 2x.

Screen_210126_220842.jpg

2x

Screen_210126_221829.jpg

But in my opinion, default seems more accurate.