Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

best modder of the year, and the winner is Taz1004!!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

best modder of the year, and the winner is Taz1004!!

Thanks but there are more talented modders. And I just started modding and I'm limited by the modules I own.

Development on this mod is still going but slowly. It'll be mostly for single player from now on.

As shown above, exactly same thing happens to me without the mod. And there is no reason why anything in the mod would effect TGP.

Actually, we did some tests and, except in TV mode, the mod causes the TGP of the F-16C to blank when pointing the smoke area. The F/A-18 is working good instead.

Here are the differences, both in BHOT mode (the one with the mod gives pitch black screen!). We are using the Mod V5 but as far as I know, there are no differences in this.

Screen_201016_174301.thumb.png.5693b87593280fc696adf77cb639c452.png

Screen_201016_174633.thumb.png.f3e2951de4103bc3b6dc7da2175edc0c.png

Edited by Night Flier

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

I am unclear of your test method. You ran F-16 with the mod and FA-18 without the mod?

If you can duplicate the bug, run it several times with the mod and without the mod in exact same situation.

Your shot with the bug where you can't see anything. If that is with the mod, can you take the same exact shot without the mod? The one you show as working is different map and different angles.

As I said above and mentioned by others. This bug existed long before this mod. You can find old threads about it.

This isn’t a problem with the “better smoke” mod. (Which is awesome BTW) :thumbup:

It’s been around for quite some time now. But it’s intermittent and hard to reliablely duplicate. I have it happen occasionally, deleting FXO and Metashader2 folder usually fixes it for me.

You can read more about it here; https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=253277

Guys, the 2 shots are 1 with the mod and one without it. They are F-16.

Where you see it's No-mod, where is blank is Mod-on.

The screen are F-16 only.

The reference to the 18 is withiut screenshot as it just work normally.

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

Guys, the 2 shots are 1 with the mod and one without it. They are F-16.

Where you see it's No-mod, where is blank is Mod-on.

The screen are F-16 only.

The reference to the 18 is withiut screenshot as it just work normally.

Then as I said, the shots are taken at different angle and different map. This is a bug that's been known to be random and difficult to reproduce.

You can uninstall the mod. But this bug happens without the mod.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4519209&postcount=242

You can see from the smoke marker that I'm not running this mod in those screenshots.

Edited by Taz1004

Hello Taz!

I've been downloading few of your mods and let me first thank you for your amazing job!!

I've got an issue however with "better smoke v6" and "better trees"

I am using OVGME to enable the mods but it doesn't seem to work. I also have the "better labels" mod and with that one I have no issue.

I've check the root folder and seems to check out. I have also deleted fxo, metashaders2, and the terrain metacache but I still get the default fx for smoke, craters and trees...

Do you have a solution for this?

thanks

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

ok disregard. I am an idiot :doh:

I had selected my \SavedGames\DCS folder instead of its root folder, that's why I could get the labels to work but not the others.

resolved.

PS: this mod is awesome :D

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Hello Taz!

I've been downloading few of your mods and let me first thank you for your amazing job!!

I've got an issue however with "better smoke v6" and "better trees"

I am using OVGME to enable the mods but it doesn't seem to work. I also have the "better labels" mod and with that one I have no issue.

I've check the root folder and seems to check out. I have also deleted fxo, metashaders2, and the terrain metacache but I still get the default fx for smoke, craters and trees...

Do you have a solution for this?

thanks

Make sure after you unzip, open the folder and move that folder therein to your desktop. Then setup using that folder. You may have already done that, but just checking.

Thanks Drac,

I had indeed unzipped the files but I set the OVGME destination folder in my SavedGames/DCS instead of the root folder in the install location. Realized the mistake few minutes after posting :doh: anyway I fixed that and now the mod is working :D

ok disregard. I am an idiot :doh:

I had selected my \SavedGames\DCS folder instead of its root folder, that's why I could get the labels to work but not the others.

resolved.

PS: this mod is awesome :D

Hey great mod! Absolutely love the smoke markers now, and how burning vehicles together form one huge rising smoke pillar. Really nice!

I noticed the smoke gets blacker the farther away you are from it, is that intended or just DCS behavior?

Speaking of distance... is there any way this mod could encompass explosions visibility? Back in the good ol' days explosions were visible from way farther away than they are now.

Hey great mod! Absolutely love the smoke markers now, and how burning vehicles together form one huge rising smoke pillar. Really nice!

I noticed the smoke gets blacker the farther away you are from it, is that intended or just DCS behavior?

Speaking of distance... is there any way this mod could encompass explosions visibility? Back in the good ol' days explosions were visible from way farther away than they are now.

Thanks. It doesn't get blacker to me. It is fairly dark... it's supposed to be especially at beginning. The particles are effected by sunlight so if you're looking at the shadow part of the smoke, it may be darker than from the other side.

Also noticed that particles do funky things with fog.

I will look into explosions but that might be determined by view distance.

Is there a change-log somewhere? And where can I download previous versions?

My IC keep failing with v6 and v6.1 no matter what I do. I really like this mod and don't want to stop using it.

It would be useful to have 2 versions, like DCS: Stable (No IC break, so up to v5 now) and Beta (after v5)
  • Like 1

Night Flier

Hello, you have done a magnificent job, I hope that DCS takes your contributions into account because apparently those who work in the art of DCS are beginners compared to you, congratulations! The other point I must touch is that the craters that you have created are causing problems with multiplayer servers since they claim the integrity of the game and does not allow those types of servers to enter such as Hoggit, Sidewinder and others, i downloaded the other one that you put to fix the conflict and it still gives the same problem of integrity of the game hoping that in the future you can fix it to enjoy it to the fullest!!!!!! thank you once again for your contribution to the community !!!

• Like 2

Okay I separated SP and MP version. Changelog for each version can be found in this thread if you search this thread for "Updated"

Besides the rain and crater, SP version has few more fixes such as cloud flickering in distance and some texture sizes which were not power of 2.

I also included SP Beta version. This one has missile trail fix discussed here

I've been using this for 2 months with no problem but I only have 3 modules so it is possible this could break missile trails I do not have. If this happens, please let me know.

• Like 4

I can't wait to try the beta in the next few days! Personal Thanks to Taz for your contributions!

Initial Testing:

• Missile trail looked the same (GOOD) using beta and non beta SP v6 on F14, F16 and F18.
  • Contrail - effect changed to strange Cotton Balls with Better Smoke v6 SP beta. See Attachments.

(In the past Cotton Ball Smoke / Contrails was caused by my AMD Card being set with too low of a Tesselation value)

1757419518_DCSBetterSmokev6SPContrail.thumb.png.3787185480bb83f8efb14b5e8831a33f.png 79497802_DCSBetterSmokev6SPBetaContrail.thumb.png.4218b35f36646a71d24b432afc926e90.png

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
Adding Detail
  • Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]