Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

Thanks for the track file. That smoke is actually same ridiculous smoke as helicopter dust. Unfortunately, the file is encrypted. And I am fairly certain that is old particle system and never been updated.

/Bazar/Effects/PFX/high/smokecloud.pfx

I've been searching for a source that is calling that pfx to see if I can replace it with another but so far unsuccessful. Next step is to find the texture that particle is calling and reduce its opacity but that will most likely run into IC issues.

For now, we just have to hope ED updates that particle or just delete that file if it's annoying.

Does that happen on all maps? Not just Caucasus correct?

Well, I found the source shader. And the little note in the file confirmed my suspicion.

//дым от старого воздушного взрыва which Google translates it to: //smoke from old air blast

Good thing is I can tweak it to be less obtrusive. Tone down the color and opacity. Passes IC too. But at first glance, it doesn't look like I can adjust its motion.

smoke_06.jpg

Yes sir, you are amazing, just with that small improvement in helicopter dust, it does not look as ugly as by default.

Waiting for version 4.

Thanks a million Taz :thumbup:

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/

My skins

Windows 10 Pro -Asus rog strix z490-e gaming  - I7 10700K - Ram Corsair 32 GB 3600 - Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb  - RTX 4070TI 12Gb - Gigabyte G32QC  2‎560 x 1440 (QHD)- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog  -TPR: Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - Track IR 5 - VR samsung odyssey plus

Yes sir, you are amazing, just with that small improvement in helicopter dust, it does not look as ugly as by default.

Waiting for version 4.

Thanks a million Taz :thumbup:

Indeed, very nice job !

I have already installed the previous and the current V3 version, waiting for the V4 realease !

:thumbup:

Well, I found the source shader. And the little note in the file confirmed my suspicion.

//дым от старого воздушного взрыва which Google translates it to: //smoke from old air blast

Good thing is I can tweak it to be less obtrusive. Tone down the color and opacity. Passes IC too. But at first glance, it doesn't look like I can adjust its motion.

smoke_06.jpg

Amazing job, you really are the wizard. ED should really look these since if one man can make so big changes in few days, what could ED's actual coders do with proper licences.

Apparently these poor effects happen on all maps.

Fantastic mods! That's exactly the non-over-the-top realism DCS needs in the FX department. Thanks for this. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

For what it's worth, Taz, your Better Trees and Better Smoke mods have joined Mustang's Caucasus on my PC as ''must have'' modifications for DCS. Really appreciate your efforts, they make a difference and add value to the game for everyone.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

That helicopter dust effect change is amazing! For years we have asked ED to change it..... Now a one man does it...... in days....

Is it possible get tweaked by user even little more transparent? So it would be very faint?

I have been lately flying Gazelle and practiced a lot of under trees flying, and sometimes I get confused and likely crash as the white smoke suddenly appears and covers all surroundings and I lose balance completely and lose vision to see where tree trunks are, then if I can't in that second get eyes on instruments to keep it steady, I flip. I so hope the Gazelle would have that same speedometer as Mi-8 does that allows you to see horizontal speed for hovering, but it is too big helicopter to fly under trees.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

UPDATED TO V4

If you want to further tweak the helo air blast, I included comment in the PFXDust.fx at line 22, 172, and 174

I have not tested for IC as a whole package by the way. I tested them individually. If anyone runs into issues, please let me know.

Edited by Taz1004

Nice, downloading...

Thanks Taz :thumbup:

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/

My skins

Windows 10 Pro -Asus rog strix z490-e gaming  - I7 10700K - Ram Corsair 32 GB 3600 - Samsung 970 evo plus 1tb  - RTX 4070TI 12Gb - Gigabyte G32QC  2‎560 x 1440 (QHD)- Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog  -TPR: Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - Track IR 5 - VR samsung odyssey plus

Looking good. I had a mission last night and the smoke marker was in a forest, the new lower lying marker couldn't be seen above the tree line, looks like the new one may correct that, I'll let you know. Thanks again mate.

Well, in reality it wouldn't be visible above threes.

The smoke grenades that ground forces uses for marking targets are required to be thrown at open or edges of forest etc so that the pilot can spot them from above.

They ain't strong ones (even the v4 smoke marker is extremely strong compared to real ones) and very challenging to spot. But if you have a general idea where to look, you will find one.

If someone doesn't know how a M-18 smoke grenade looks like, it is not so impressive at all as the DCS default one.

With a burntime of 1 min 30 seconds you do not have so much time to signal someone a position for reference.

I don't know what is the burn time or effect of a smoke rocket, but 6 km is specified range and it should be in the optimal "against contrast background" scenario (pilot knows where to look, pilot has line of sight, weather is clear, wind is slow, background is contrasty for the color etc).

And for that purpose 6 km is not much at all. Compared to DCS one where a S-8TsM burns so high that you can see it from 50 kilometres.

I am going to check how would the smoke marker look if modified even more to be smaller and more transparent, as likely the rocket variant just has more burn time with similar smoke effect.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The thick part of the smoke in v4 actually got smaller... maybe could go a little smaller. And I decided to add lingering effect after watching this video. The faint smoke in the beginning almost reached to the left side of the screen.

IRL, the swirling liquidy movement of the smoke also helps its visibility. Which unfortunately can't be simulated.

Biggest issue I have with smoke marker is how flat the shader is. Because of it, I can't really see any movement I add to it. I'm still trying to track down its shader. That one must be hiding somewhere deep.

UPDATED TO V4

If you want to further tweak the helo air blast, I included comment in the PFXDust.fx at line 22, 172, and 174

I have not tested for IC as a whole package by the way. I tested them individually. If anyone runs into issues, please let me know.

Just perfect to me ! :thumbup:

Thxxx a lot Taz...

UPDATED TO V4

Just perfect as it is for me.Very well done :thumbup: And is does not break IC at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

thanks for this wonderful Mod

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

This is excellent! Would love this to be included as default!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Thanks everyone for comments. Makes it worthwhile.

I'm still tweaking. Finally found the bugger shader for smoke marker. Very well hidden... or abandoned... not sure which.

And code is somewhat messy in my opinion for something that produces flat color but managed to get some shading variation into the smoke. Swirling movement is little more noticeable.

I'll probably include this with v5 which I'm hoping to get into weapon smokes.

smoke_07.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

I really love this mod, thanks

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png