Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

Great, I hope to see other objects smoke improved soon, keep the hard work! Many thanks!

Inviato dal mio VIE-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

So this is what I've been troubleshooting for last couple days. I'm sure this has bugged many people including VR crowd. But unfortunately, touching anything to do with smoke trail seems to break IC. Shaders, fx, lua, texture... I guess some people can cheat by making really long and colorful smoke trails.

So instead of including this in my mod, I decided to report it to ED in hopes that they can implement in core. Head on over to that thread and bug BIGNEWY.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4479153#post4479153

Video of fix

I noticed this the other day with the big smoke effects. The problem with clouds spinning has also been around forever. Are you able to make a mod to fix them? I know it will break ic but for the single player guys it will be worth it.

I can but as I mentioned in the Bug fix forum, this will effect all missiles across all modules. And I simply don't have all modules to test them. This is another reason I decided to report than include in my mod.

Crap, I just noticed they're still looking for Special Effects Artist in their job posting section. I wonder if they have anybody who can fix this.

Edited by Taz1004

I can but as I mentioned in the Bug fix forum, this will effect all missiles across all modules. And I simply don't have all modules to test them. This is another reason I decided to report than include in my mod.

Crap, I just noticed they're still looking for Special Effects Artist in their job posting section. I wonder if they have anybody who can fix this.

You!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I had v2 in use, just tested v4. This just keeps getting better and better, really good!

I agree with other comments, it's a big improvement over what is in the default "stock" content.

Thanks again Taz thumbup.gif

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Yep these smoke effects are very beautiful, and varied, thanks Taz1004 for the mod.

Just 1 note, through Flir the smoke markers look abnormals with the mod.

[ATTACH]247075[/ATTACH]

Hey, thanks for that report. Since I don't have module with Flir, can you confirm if that happens with default smoke marker? Looks to me like Flir doesn't take transparency into account.

Actually I do have Flir doh...

Edit: I couldn't reproduce it with my A10C but looks to me like intermittent DCS issue based on someone else without this mod with same issue.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4450537

Edited by Taz1004

Hey Taz

First got to say what a difference this makes to the scenes. Amazing work.

However one thing I noticed when testing it is a divergence of wind angles for different smokes. In the picture attached you will see the smoke grenades are being blown by the surface wind but the smoke from destroyed units are going straight up. No idea if this is intentional or what but thought I would make you aware. Wind was 270/8 (reporting as real world not DCS.)

Digital_Combat_Simulator_Black_Shark_Screenshot_2020_09.13_-_13_36.47_36.thumb.png.30280cdbc2cbb8319f549a098aa73142.png

Hey Taz

First got to say what a difference this makes to the scenes. Amazing work.

However one thing I noticed when testing it is a divergence of wind angles for different smokes. In the picture attached you will see the smoke grenades are being blown by the surface wind but the smoke from destroyed units are going straight up. No idea if this is intentional or what but thought I would make you aware. Wind was 270/8 (reporting as real world not DCS.)

Yes, it was by design but will be changed on next version. Idea was that the smoke markers were supposed to be thrown and as such, emit sideways. Not upwards as if they're set down. They do get effected by wind but sideway emission is much stronger so it overpowers the wind. Smoke markers are not intended to be used for wind direction and strength in V4.

But it was pointed out in few posts prior that it looks strange to have multiple smoke markers in close proximity (which was scenario I didn't think about). That they'd all emit same direction. And there was no way to randomize their direction as all smoke markers are instances. So I changed it to emit upwards again and get effected by wind more.

The change is done but I'm waiting for DCS update before releasing next version in case it breaks (or fixes) somethings. So probably within a week.

Thanks for feedback btw.

Edited by Taz1004

Updated to V5

BetterSmoke_v5_03.jpg

Few notes on v5 and going forward.

• Building smoke will flicker. Not sure if it's mistake by ED or intentional but it's emitting two instances of same particle which is the cause of the flicker. And I can't change it as it seems to be controlled by encrypted particle file.
    Default also flickers but it may be more noticeable with the mod since it's larger so if it bothers you, just delete FireSevInf.lua from
    \Taz1004_Better_Smoke_v5\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects\

• IC rejected the shading tweaks on smoke marker. It is small, upright and affected by wind but it'll be flat color as default.

• I've also adjusted some other particles but all rejected by IC. It seems like there's nothing more I can tweak without breaking IC so I will wrap this mod at V5 and I will move onto Single Player version in the future.

Edited by Taz1004

Impressive indeed....anyone who´s not using it ingame is missing a vital part of immersion. Finally the battlefield looks like battlefield and helicopter flying is a blast (in Syria).

Not highly.... no extremely recommended to everyone looking for "realism" in this game. And it´s not only for the low fliers... moving colums no appear as they should...you can spot them but not in the unrealistic way it was before.

Thank you for your effort and time you put into this mod.

Have a good day Taz ;.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Updated to V5

Few notes on v5 and going forward.

• Building smoke will flicker. Not sure if it's mistake by ED or intentional but it's emitting two instances of same particle which is the cause of the flicker. And I can't change it as it seems to be controlled by encrypted particle file.
    Default also flickers but it may be more noticeable with the mod since it's larger so if it bothers you, just delete FireSevInf.lua from
    \Taz1004_Better_Smoke_v5\Bazar\ParticleEffects\effects\

• IC rejected the shading tweaks on smoke marker. It is small, upright and affected by wind but it'll be flat color as default.

• I've also adjusted some other particles but all rejected by IC. It seems like there's nothing more I can tweak without breaking IC so I will wrap this mod at V5 and I will move onto Single Player version in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I've also been looking at your SmokeTrail fix as well and tried your proposed solution, works well (except for the issues you already mention).

I'd really like to see what you can do without the IC limitation! Keep in mind that a lot of squadrons will not use IC on their servers, since they run various mods.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro