Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

From what I’ve seen the percieved ammount of smoke, and how long it will linger depends on many factors (I imagine wind, altitude perhaps, maybe humidity). I think the longer in your screenshots there looks nice.

could you comment which lines and values changes what?

I think there's update scheduled today so I'll release new version after checking for compatibility.  But will include comment in the file for further adjustment.

@flanker1 I'm not sure what you mean.  My used mods?  Or do you mean list everything that's modded in this mod?

1 hour ago, Taz1004 said:

I think there's update scheduled today so I'll release new version after checking for compatibility.  But will include comment in the file for further adjustment.

@flanker1 I'm not sure what you mean.  My used mods?  Or do you mean list everything that's modded in this mod?

hello taz, a list off all related mods you are using to get the results from your screenshot, ground mod, trees, etc would be gerat! 

7 minutes ago, flanker1 said:

hello taz, a list off all related mods you are using to get the results from your screenshot, ground mod, trees, etc would be gerat! 

Barthek Caucasus

My Tree Dark Low

Standard VR Shader mod with parts of Mustang's tonemap adjustment merged.

And of course Better Smoke

Those are the only visual mods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Taz1004 changed the title to Better Smoke V9

Updated to V9

Gun Smoke:  Larger, thicker, and longer gun smoke.  Will likely affect all guns. (IC Safe)

If you want to tweak the gun smoke further, I included comments in: \Bazar\shaders\ParticleSystem2\gunSmoke.fx  Search for Taz1004.

BetterSmoke_v9_01.jpg

Smoke Texture:  Softened the texture to remove blotchy spots in the smoke.  And removed repeated patterns in the mask. (Single Player Version Only)

BetterSmoke_v9_02.jpg

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

FWIW, I had trouble downloading the files and found out that it worked if I removed the "www." prefix.

May be just me, but just in case :

Single player: Better Smoke V9 SP

Multi player: Better Smoke V9 MP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Just come across this mod for "better rain" 😉

It looks very good IMHO

It replaces the rain.hlsl in your mod Taz , I'm guessing there should be no detrimental effect to the function of "Better Smoke"? I just enabled the rain mod last and overwrote rain.hlsl and stuff seems to still work (limited testing).

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 1/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, Taz1004 said:

Updated to V9

Gun Smoke:  Larger, thicker, and longer gun smoke.  Will likely affect all guns. (IC Safe)

If you want to tweak the gun smoke further, I included comments in: \Bazar\shaders\ParticleSystem2\gunSmoke.fx  Search for Taz1004.

BetterSmoke_v9_01.jpg

Smoke Texture:  Softened the texture to remove blotchy spots in the smoke.  And removed repeated patterns in the mask. (Single Player Version Only)

BetterSmoke_v9_02.jpg

Taz,

Why the 2 versions if i may ask?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Really enjoying this great smoke mod!

One question I have though: which is the value to adjust so that I can change the height of the smoke trails? Or the altitude AGL that the smoke dissipates?  I was just flying over Florida IRL this week and saw many fires where the smoke rose several thousand feet into the air before dissipating. I would like to be able to adjust this value to try and get smoke to rise very high into the sky to mimic real life fires.

Thank you!

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

58 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Really enjoying this great smoke mod!

One question I have though: which is the value to adjust so that I can change the height of the smoke trails? Or the altitude AGL that the smoke dissipates?  I was just flying over Florida IRL this week and saw many fires where the smoke rose several thousand feet into the air before dissipating. I would like to be able to adjust this value to try and get smoke to rise very high into the sky to mimic real life fires.

Thank you!

smokeLifeC will make them last longer so give more time to move up higher.  Or Y velocity will make it move up faster reaching higher.

But once again, transparency is the most performance hungry feature in any game engine.  Bigger, higher, more, and longer means more draw calls.  And worse if you have transparency on top of transparency.  If the smoke covers small 100x100 pixel area in the distance, multiple draw call for that small area isn't a big deal.  But if it covers half of your screen, it will hurt fps.  You can see the impact if you try flying through the smoke.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

smokeLifeC will make them last longer so give more time to move up higher.  Or Y velocity will make it move up faster reaching higher.

But once again, transparency is the most performance hungry feature in any game engine.  Bigger, higher, more, and longer means more draw calls.  And worse if you have transparency on top of transparency.  If the smoke covers small 100x100 pixel area in the distance, multiple draw call for that small area isn't a big deal.  But if it covers half of your screen, it will hurt fps.  You can see the impact if you try flying through the smoke.

i'm not worried about performance, I just want to get the smoke to rise high into the sky as to look maximum realistic. looking in your file FireVehicle.lua, smokeLifeC is currently 4

local smokeLifeC = 4

Is that in minutes or seconds? If I want the smoke to rise twice as high would I put:

local smokeLifeC = 8

I don't see a " Y velocity" field, but I do see many other velocity variables (with many inputs) that I don't understand. 

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

25 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

smokeLifeC is multiplier.

Values in velocity are in (X, Y, Z)

Thanks for the tips. I changed smokeLifeC to 12 and it definitely goes higher into the sky. Though it looks like it may spread out too much near the top, as you can see each smoke "texture" spinning clearly. 

1-SMOKE.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

Thanks for the tips. I changed smokeLifeC to 12 and it definitely goes higher into the sky. Though it looks like it may spread out too much near the top, as you can see each smoke "texture" spinning clearly. 

1-SMOKE.jpg

You'll need to increase number to compensate.  But that's more complicated as it's setup to transition between smoke types.  You can try increasing lifetime multiplier.

• Like 2

This really needs to be incorporated into the standard game - looks awesome! Thanks for this mod.

• Like 3

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/27/2021 at 4:16 PM, Taz1004 said:

Barthek Caucasus

My Tree Dark Low

Standard VR Shader mod with parts of Mustang's tonemap adjustment merged.

And of course Better Smoke

Those are the only visual mods.

Have not installed any mods before, but your "Better Smoke"-mod looked so good that I had to try.

Installed OVGME: https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/OVGME

Actually very simple and great mod manager.

Installed the following mods in this order.

1. Barthek Caucasus
  2. My Tree Dark Low
  3. Better Smoke
  4. Reshade mod

Any warnings that file(s) exist from before, I chose just to the option in OVGME to overwrite.

All mods work great and DCS is so much better looking.

Text Thank You GIF by Ivo Adventures

• Like 2

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

Sometimes it's fun to set your graphics settings to "slideshow" for taking screenshots of skins you've worked really hard on. I'd love to see an alternate GPU melter config just for taking screenshots, wallpapers, loading screens, etc.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Mod is awesome, it just looks amazing, but I have I question.

@Taz1004

Whats with the ring of dust smoke around unit when it dies? Its not there in vanilla and i think it looks a bit silly when in tank on tank engagement. In vanilla tank simply takes on fire and start burning while, with mod it takes fire and "explodes" with dust smoke around it. I think dust smoke should appear when unit actually explodes and turns into wreak. 

Edited by The_Tau