Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

5 hours ago, Gryzor said:

Any feedback about this? thanks

If you have performance issue with default smoke, you should ask in the bug section.  This mod does not have performance enhancement.

And I don't know which guns and crates you're talking about but if they're placeable, you can remove them from mission editor.

15 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

If you have performance issue with default smoke, you should ask in the bug section.  This mod does not have performance enhancement.

And I don't know which guns and crates you're talking about but if they're placeable, you can remove them from mission editor.

Craters I mean ... not craters (my bad english). So I noticed thet the shader itself has great impact. I was posting here to know if with your experience it is possible to edit some files to lower number of particles related to this effect (FPS hit are specially noticeable in VR, but not in 2D). Can you help me? some values in file to lower number of smokes particles generated?

Of course I posted in the bug section.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

Craters I mean ... not craters (my bad english). So I noticed thet the shader itself has great impact. I was posting here to know if with your experience it is possible to edit some files to lower number of particles related to this effect (FPS hit are specially noticeable in VR, but not in 2D). Can you help me? some values in file to lower number of smokes particles generated?

Of course I posted in the bug section.

Thanks

You can play with Density settings in staticSmoke.lua

But it probably will not matter much how many particles it's generating.  More of how much of the screensapce the particles are taking up.

9 minutes ago, Quekel said:

Taz, when clusters and other bombs are thrown on a city the FPS tanks rapidly, especially in VR, any way to edit some effects to lower this?

I can't say as I haven't dropped bombs onto city.  But my guess is that these fps issues are not particle related.  If it's particle related, it should happen all the time.  Not just on certain situations.

It think that it is particle related. When you very close camera to flamming effect - I mean, for example, 4-5 tanks burning and cam close to 2-3 meters -, the fps degrades A LOT (also seen on 2D). So in VR, it is specially nocieable, when you view to 6-7 objects burning, 45 fps ASW is not maintened.

So it would very useful to have some version with little particles related, or if you know which parameters to edit, if you can help it would be appreciated. Many thanks.

4 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

It think that it is particle related. When you very close camera to flamming effect - I mean, for example, 4-5 tanks burning and cam close to 2-3 meters -, the fps degrades A LOT (also seen on 2D). So in VR, it is specially nocieable, when you view to 6-7 objects burning, 45 fps ASW is not maintened.

So it would very useful to have some version with little particles related, or if you know which parameters to edit, if you can help it would be appreciated. Many thanks.

I was responding to Quekel regarding not being particle related if it only happens when dropped on city.

Yours is very likely particle related.  I've explained this many times but I'll explain again.  Transparency is one of the most costly render feature.  It has to calculate what's behind and then what's on top.  Draw calls.  If there's transparency over transparency, draw calls increase exponentially.  If this happens on small smoke in the distance that covers 100x100 pixels, it's not a big deal.  But if it covers your entire screen, then entire screen will be overdrawn.  When you fire missile or rocket and its smoke covers your whole screen, you will notice frame rate drop because of this.

This is not related to number of particles.  It doesn't matter if there are 10 particle or 1 particle covering your screen.  As long as it covers your screen, there will be same overdraw.  This is what I meant by decreasing density probably will not make much difference.  But how much screenspace the particle is taking up.

Typically most of us look at smoke from distance.  We rarely fly into it.  So 50 pixel smoke isn't that big of deal compared to 10 pixel smoke.  But if you're doing missions where you have to get close to smoke, just go back to small default smoke.

• Like 1

taz, thx for conitinuing update on your great mods. Just a suggestion - that waivy motion of the smoke column is typical only if fuel is burning, as it is constantly burning at high temperatures. Have you thought of reducing it at least some bit? What ED must do now is to enable spread of the smoke according to weather conditions.

4 hours ago, dali said:

taz, thx for conitinuing update on your great mods. Just a suggestion - that waivy motion of the smoke column is typical only if fuel is burning, as it is constantly burning at high temperatures. Have you thought of reducing it at least some bit? What ED must do now is to enable spread of the smoke according to weather conditions.

I did reduce it.  You're saying that's typical in real world situations?  In the game, it affects all smoke.  Like I've said, they changed it so ALL smoke, whether it's for a truck or factory or plane, uses same smoke system.  And not much can be done to vary based on their type.

And the flame and wavy motion gets faster with stronger wind.  It's difficult to make it look proper in both 30kt and 0kt wind.  I just optimized it for around 6kts wind.

thx. It would be nice if ED introduced different smoke systems for different material that it is burning...

Don't get me wrong, I think your mod is far superior to original ED....

• Like 1

Hey, just trying out this legendary mod for the first time. Thank you for your efforts. 

I put a few 'huge smoke and fire' effect on a city, I do not know if that's right but I think they look kind of weird. Flames go too high I believe. Can you please confirm this? 

(I uploaded both with and without Bettersmoke-v11.)

With the Mod.jpg

Without the Mod.jpg

4 hours ago, Sean Archer said:

Hey, just trying out this legendary mod for the first time. Thank you for your efforts. 

I put a few 'huge smoke and fire' effect on a city, I do not know if that's right but I think they look kind of weird. Flames go too high I believe. Can you please confirm this? 

(I uploaded both with and without Bettersmoke-v11.)

With the Mod.jpg

Without the Mod.jpg

The weird part to me is that there's absolutely no wind and that you put way too many of them.  Otherwise, smoke are bigger?  And I'm actually surprised that you get better frame rate with the mod.

If you're talking about the specs of the flame rising up, I have to edit the texture.  I left it as it didn't really bother me.

Edited by Taz1004

• Taz1004 changed the title to Better Smoke V12 for DCS 2.7

UPDATED TO V12

Minor update to flame texture and smoke marker.  Flame texture applies to SP version only.

I personally left that flame effect as it looked like the smoke is being lit up by the flame below.  You guys are pickier than my clients.

I also made the smoke marker blow in the wind more.

Also, I noticed the flame gradient texture was 32 bit.  ED seems to love 32 bit textures.  It's just gradient for flame.  So I changed it to 8 bit.  Not sure if it'll provide any performance but can't hurt.

V12.jpg

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

UPDATED TO V12

Minor update to flame texture and smoke marker.  Flame texture applies to SP version only.

I personally left that flame effect as it looked like the smoke is being lit up by the flame below.  You guys are pickier than my clients.

I also made the smoke marker blow in the wind more.

Also, I noticed the flame gradient texture was 32 bit.  ED seems to love 32 bit textures.  It's just gradient for flame.  So I changed it to 8 bit.  Not sure if it'll provide any performance but can't hurt.

"You guys are pickier than my clients." 😀

Thanks Taz!!

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

As a Happy "Client" of the Smoke Mods since V1.. I am still Happy!  THANKS! 🔥 😹

• Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

10 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

You guys are pickier than my clients.

That's hilarious!!

As a VERY satisfied client, Thank You, @Taz1004 o7

• Like 3

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Thank you. I think it looks so much better now.

And about the fps, I do not know why it is lower in that image but it is usually around 10 fps lower with the mod in this particular view.

With V11.jpg

With V12.jpg

Edited by Sean Archer
  • Like 2

Great!  Now Greta Thunberg is going to say " How dare you. "  lol  

• Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Taz1004, I really enjoy this mod so far, looks really nice. Fire on aircraft ground collision looks a little big for me. Can you please tell me which file and line governs it so I can make it a bit smaller for myself if you may?