Better Smoke V22 for DCS 2.9

Anyone point me to readme file on how to install it using OvGME.....

I make OvGME packages of all these mods but just for myself, I will share this one. Place this file in the OvGME mods folder of your setup and enable to have it run and disable will switch it back to default smoke. Hope this helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bUxrszskFnvbCsooR7-OFRs7S-xojYLn

Every OvGME mod file is built the same way so just inspect the unpacked file and make all your interested mods work for yourself. :thumbup:

I'll probably include this with v5 which I'm hoping to get into weapon smokes.

smoke_07.jpg

Would it be possible change the marker smoke size to something like scale of the red arrow range? (just asking if I could modify it myself to so small as it would be more realistic....)

DCS_smoke_marker_question.jpg.34ac4990ab264d4de4ca9d16eb2daac4.jpg

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Would it be possible change the marker smoke size to something like scale of the red arrow range? (just asking if I could modify it myself to so small as it would be more realistic....)

[ATTACH]246681[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure what you're asking. Of course everyone can tweak the mod further for their preference. Or are you asking how to do it?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Of course everyone can tweak the mod further for their preference. Or are you asking how to do it?

Asking that is it possible to make it so small, or is there limitation for it?

Of course if you can point to proper lines in the file it helps too :)

It can always go smaller. But I'm trying to find middle ground between people who want it smaller and those who want it more visible.

Reducing Life would reduce it overall. Line 14. Two Life values give variation range.

And since I think you wanted it to go out after some time, editing Number at line 13 would do that. First number is seconds, second number is number of particles per second generated. Create second bracket in same format as others and enter the second you want it to go out and second number to 0.

Number = {{0, 6}, {60, 0}},

Should make it go out after 1 minute.

Edited by Taz1004

Seems as if some of the smoke does indeed not follow the wind direction, as others have pointed out. This is v4:

kBMtQ65.png

Any advice?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

What was the wind direction and speed? Smoke markers are designed to emit sideways, as if it's thrown. Since it's rarely set down upright. So unless wind is strong, smoke markers are not good indication of wind direction.

But seeing your screenshot, having smoke markers go one direction only may not be good idea. I wasn't thinking about multiple smoke markers being used in close proximity.

I've managed to make random function work for direction but that random number gets applied to all smoke markers. All smoke markers are clones basically. Can't see a way to randomize direction for each smoke markers so I guess I'll just have them shoot up and get influenced by wind more.

Hey Taz, I raised the same question regarding the wind direction before. I was comparing destroyed vehicles smoke with the chimney smoke to come up with my conclusion of the smoke not following wind direction.

With the illustration from rrohde provided, I now suspecting the smoker marker & chimney smoke are just set to emit sideway as you sugguested and not a combination of wind direction of wind speed.

Trying to provide more info, the wind speed is low in my mission, just 4 kts. In my screenshots, seems chimney smoke didn't take wind speed into the equation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=246725&stc=1&d=1599276159

attachment.php?attachmentid=246726&stc=1&d=1599276159

Beside, zipping thru trees with your smoke & tree mods is just amazing.

342685482_ScreenShot09-05-20at11_04AM.thumb.JPG.0521e04de6fcb0e6736468c0fac0eb6b.JPG

2107304632_ScreenShot09-05-20at11.08AM001.thumb.JPG.547753d6a6240d72ccce36be4cb03513.JPG

Edited by mwlue

They're exaggerated I agree. They'll blow perfectly horizontal with just 10m/s wind.

10 m/s its 5,4 kts so near like he set up it. :)

If chimney smoke works ok maybe here is an option for smoke be more sensitive? Its a good idea to check default smoke, is it work the same, to the same direction like chimney smoke (with 5kts for example).

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

10 m/s is 19 knots which is force 5 wind. Fresh breeze. With that wind, my smoke will tilt about 60' to 70' on its last stage. First stage is more upright and tilt about 40' because it's upward exhaust is stronger.

Above screenshot on my post is taken at 2 m/s wind. Those chimney smokes are almost horizontal too. But then again, chimney smoke don't have much upward exhaust either.

Smoke direction all seems to works fine on my end. Just the smoke markers are emitting sideways so don't use that for wind direction. That will be revised on next version but I'm taking it a bit slower now.

Edit: Just did a test with 10 m/s wind. Far left is stage 4. I wasn't patient enough to wait for stage 5 but it should lean more at that stage. Far right is stage 1.

I also have to consider missions with stronger than 10 m/s. If I let the smoke get influenced by wind too much, then particles start become dotted line.

smoke_09.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

10 m/s is 19 knots ...

Aghh... right! I was taken km/h not /s! My foul. Who fly with wind 19 knots ;>, Its a strong wind. 5 kts its ok. :D

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Aghh... right! I was taken km/h not /s! My foul. Who fly with wind 19 knots ;>, Its a strong wind. 5 kts its ok. :D

I'm having hard time keeping the Shark steady even at 19 knots but this guy says 30 knots is his limit for "training". At 2:16 sec.

Edited by Taz1004

Thank you for the mod and sharing your talents. Unfortunately Im getting a very distracting flickering in the smoke once the grey clouds begin. Like its switching between animations every second or so. Id this the Z thing metioned previously and can I alter it so as to make the flicker go away or reduce significantly?

Big smoke plumes are great but sadly I cant use them like this. The rest of the effect are fanstastic.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Thank you for the mod and sharing your talents. Unfortunately Im getting a very distracting flickering in the smoke once the grey clouds begin. Like its switching between animations every second or so. Id this the Z thing metioned previously and can I alter it so as to make the flicker go away or reduce significantly?

Big smoke plumes are great but sadly I cant use them like this. The rest of the effect are fanstastic.

Nothing I can do as DCS depth sorting is questionable to me. Even ED's engineer seems to be unsure. In one of the notes in the particle file:

//FIXME хз какой смысл усреднять сэмплы буфера глубины

Google translates it to:

//FIXME xs what's the point of averaging depth buffer samples

Flicker is not that bad for me but if you're having issues, just delete FireVehicle.lua. If you're using stereo_mode_use_shared_parser, try disabling it.

Edited by Taz1004

Nothing I can do as DCS depth sorting is questionable to me. Even ED's engineer seems to be unsure. In one of the notes in the particle file:

//FIXME хз какой смысл усреднять сэмплы буфера глубины

Google translates it to:

//FIXME xs what's the point of averaging depth buffer samples

Flicker is not that bad for me but if you're having issues, just delete FireVehicle.lua. If you're using stereo_mode_use_shared_parser, try disabling it.

Thanks again Taz from the quick and useful reply.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

I make OvGME packages of all these mods but just for myself, I will share this one. Place this file in the OvGME mods folder of your setup and enable to have it run and disable will switch it back to default smoke. Hope this helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bUxrszskFnvbCsooR7-OFRs7S-xojYLn

Every OvGME mod file is built the same way so just inspect the unpacked file and make all your interested mods work for yourself. :thumbup:

Cheers fella and much appreciated

Warning: This mod will cause wear and tear on your keyboard's shift+F4 keys as often you will urge to look back to see rising success of your run.

Sorry, I just look back in VR to see all the fancy stuff.... Using mirrors ;)

I just want to ask if this shade of red is on purpose or not (here attached the screenshot)

Thanks and great mod!

Screen_200905_231005.thumb.jpg.d946189a8f0834665e445728c57fa370.jpg

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

I just want to ask if this shade of red is on purpose or not (here attached the screenshot)

Thanks and great mod!

That is not vehicle smoke. Not part of this mod... yet. And yes, default did have shade of red on vehicle smoke too which I got rid of. My guess is they were trying to simulate fire glow.

The small vehicle burning on the road is part of this mod.

Edited by Taz1004