Jump to content

Mission 8 NVGs


LooseSeal
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is probably more a question about DCS rather than the campaign, but anyway! Spoilers ahead.

 

In the mission you are tasked with engaging armed speedboats at night time. I think this may be the first time I've engaged water targets at night since ED re-did the night lighting, but I'm just finding it utterly impossible. For whatever reason, the boats all have lights on them from a distance which disappear as you get close. The problem is that with NVGs they flicker like Christmas lights and are actually quite blinding. But without NVGs... it's just a black ocean and I can't see them.

 

So.. am I maybe doing something wrong with my setup as regards to night time ops? Should I change the gamma settings or something? Or for this mission should I just use a workaround and point track each boat with the pod?

 

Curious to know how others got on with this task!

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

 

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have not made it to 8 yet, however are you aware of the goggle gain option in your keystroke list? If not, map your controls so you can play with the gain, it should help out a lot. If you already tried gain, then my apologies, I don't have any other tips besides maybe dumping your shaders.

Twitch Channel

 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

 

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I was building the campaign, the way how the boats appeared changed at least 3 times. Not it is much better than it was before. The key here is to use the ground radar, adjust the brightness of NVGs and attack them from the (IIRC) east and norh - east, when they are much more visible. Also wait for them to shoot and use rocket salvos rather than single projectiles. Hope this helps!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I tried lowering and increasing gain. Raising it made the most difference, but I nearly had to increase it to the point where it was just a white light.

 

I found this guy's video of the mission on Youtube -

- At 24:30 you sort of see what I mean, except mine seems even worse. It bewilders me why those boats are lit up in the first place, but the most disorientating thing is that they disappear just before you're in range to launch on them. Sooner ED figures out lighting the better.

 

Edit - Thanks for the advice Baltic! I'll use it next time I play through the campaign, which could be fairly soon. Haha. As it is, I just let Olive handle them and focussed on the more juicy target ;-)

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

 

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, LooseSeal said:

Yeah, I tried lowering and increasing gain. Raising it made the most difference, but I nearly had to increase it to the point where it was just a white light.

 

I found this guy's video of the mission on Youtube -

- At 24:30 you sort of see what I mean, except mine seems even worse. It bewilders me why those boats are lit up in the first place, but the most disorientating thing is that they disappear just before you're in range to launch on them. Sooner ED figures out lighting the better.

 

Edit - Thanks for the advice Baltic! I'll use it next time I play through the campaign, which could be fairly soon. Haha. As it is, I just let Olive handle them and focussed on the more juicy target 😉

Tried this mission on the latest patch. The speedboats are impossible to see, and they don't twinkle on NVGs like they do in the video. It seems the lighting update has turned these little boats into stealth boats at night.

 

Looks like there is a bug report for these here. I'm going to make a comparison video for bug reporting on this thread.

 

 

 


Edited by SignorMagnifico

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SignorMagnifico said:

 

Looks like there is a bug report for these here. I'm going to make a comparison video for bug reporting on this thread.

 

 

 

I'm not sure I would bother, Magnificent Sir. This issue has been around forever and you can bet that ED is aware of it. Baltic Dragon has certainly acknowledged it more than a few times, and I imagine it annoys him as much as us. The only change that has occurred thus far was stopping the 'twinkling' in the NVGs, but even though it's more realistic it really doesn't help the mission.

 

The issue, I think, is that boats/ships aren't contrasted properly against water with NVGs in the way land objects are against the ground. Even the Grisha in that mission is extremely hard to see.

 

So yeah, maybe not so much a bug as ED needing to adjust the lighting. Can't see it happening in the near future though...

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

 

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

 

I'm not sure I would bother, Magnificent Sir. This issue has been around forever and you can bet that ED is aware of it. Baltic Dragon has certainly acknowledged it more than a few times, and I imagine it annoys him as much as us. The only change that has occurred thus far was stopping the 'twinkling' in the NVGs, but even though it's more realistic it really doesn't help the mission.

 

The issue, I think, is that boats/ships aren't contrasted properly against water with NVGs in the way land objects are against the ground. Even the Grisha in that mission is extremely hard to see.

 

So yeah, maybe not so much a bug as ED needing to adjust the lighting. Can't see it happening in the near future though...

Already did. 

 

 

For comparison: 

speedboat-cruising-1704171.jpg

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Honestly in the current version of DCS i think in this mission it's almost impossible to do anything usefull at night. Everything outside the cockpit reads as pitch-black except some coastal towns and the moon. The NVG is very grainy.

But even the TGP and Mav displays are almost unreadably as they appear as fully green squares as visible in the youtube video above.

I hope the night lighting gets some attention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I just flew this mission and it was only somewhat possible to engage the speedboats by using the sea radar, and even then it was guesswork more than anything. Same with finding the Grisha, finding it with the TGP is impossible but luckily it pops up on radar and after that tracking it is relatively straightforward. Tweaking the gain/level/contrast/brightness on the TGP improves things somewhat, but without the radar it would just not be doable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel you guys and as I've said before: during the development the DCS settings changed numerous times, at some points the boats were super visible in NVGs, then they weren't. Then they changed into submarines with only the guy with MG sticking out of the waves. Then the waves disappeared completely and boats were somewhat detectable. Now it is worse again. I'll raise it with ED, but this is completely out of my hands...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...