FXAA not working?

Taz1004

I can see some old posts showing FXAA working.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201196

So I decided to give it a try and did some tests today and I can't get FXAA to do anything regardless of setting.

Nvidia Setting

On/Off

Enhance/Override

2x, 4x, 8x

Deleted fxo and metashader2 after changing...

In-game

MSAA off.

I did screen capture and took close look each time to compare and there's absolutely no difference.

OB 54046

Edited by Taz1004

As it's a post processing effect, it might get applied after the screen capture. I seem to recall losing FXAA in screen captures back when I was still using it.

You'll see it easiest in the effect it has on the radio and chat text.

As it's a post processing effect, it might get applied after the screen capture. I seem to recall losing FXAA in screen captures back when I was still using it.

You'll see it easiest in the effect it has on the radio and chat text.

It's same even if I use 3rd party capture program to capture it. Or if I lower resolution to clearly see the effect, there's no difference. It's not post effect issue.

By the way, screen capture takes other post effects like bloom.

Just verified it's working and it doesn't screen capture.

It's a subtle effect and not nearly as effective as MSAA. Don't expect it to add sharpness to small, distant objects.

Also, you have to restart DCS to see the changes, they won't happen on the fly just by changing the setting in NVidia Control Panel.

Just verified it's working and it doesn't screen capture.

It's a subtle effect and not nearly as effective as MSAA. Don't expect it to add sharpness to small, distant objects.

Also, you have to restart DCS to see the changes, they won't happen on the fly just by changing the setting in NVidia Control Panel.

I stated above I even deleted fxo and metashader2.

If it doesn't show up on screen capture, can you take comparison shot with your phone like I did?

And FXAA is not that subtle when it works. Also shown in the old comparison of DCS above in my first post. He apparently had no problem capturing it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=245874&stc=1&d=1598481448

e427ad752cd07601.thumb.png.af8079d899834234e324e80a72eca7d4.png

Edited by Taz1004

Well, I got it to work.... somewhat. It has to be in full screen but this game... DCS has fake full screen and real full screen. When it goes into real full screen, my monitor flashes before game starts and all my desktop icons moved to my second monitor. Then FXAA works. When the game goes into fake full screen (borderless window I assume), FXAA doesn't work. Trouble is I don't know why it goes into fake full screen. It just happens between the two randomly it seems.

SMH is right that it doesn't capture with in-game capture feature. But the effect definitely is not subtle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=245884&stc=1&d=1598486493

20200826_195605.thumb.jpg.f180b4216c7349b7a7800c0431d95045.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

It captures with 3rd party capture tool and when it works, I think it looks better than in-game MSAA 2x. Not as blurry and definitely higher fps. I'm just having hard time getting it to work consistently.

attachment.php?attachmentid=245890&stc=1&d=1598489376

FXAA_vs_MSAA.thumb.jpg.e819db6755a650d9185bd26cdc446055.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

DCS has had problems many times over the years with launching in border less.

Use Alt-enter before flight and your good to go not personally had this problem for some time

If your not sure if in full screen just display your frame count with in game and you will know for sure.

Edited by freehand

• 4 months later...

Nvidia antialiasing settings, all of them, don't do jack in DCS World. It doesn't matter what you set them to in NVCP. Something to do with DCS World's method of deferred shading.

The AA settings in DCS itself are all you have to go with, and that's it. The only exception is Nvidia DSR, which after flying for a while, causes crashing.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

3 hours ago, Aluminum Donkey said:

Nvidia antialiasing settings, all of them, don't do jack in DCS World. It doesn't matter what you set them to in NVCP. Something to do with DCS World's method of deferred shading.

The AA settings in DCS itself are all you have to go with, and that's it. The only exception is Nvidia DSR, which after flying for a while, causes crashing.

AD

I've been using it for 4 months.  As shown in screenshots above.

Late to the party, but I'm assuming this does not work for VR? Just tried and couldn't see any noticeable difference with "override" in NVCP. The shimmering of objects and cockpit textures is really annoying and thought this may help. Even 4X MSAA in game makes no difference.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I'm seeing it in VR.  One of my screenshot seems to be gone during forum update but post above is FXAA through the VR Lens.

FXAA obviously isn't as good as MSAA.  But it's virtually free.  For it to work, you have to run DCS in fullscreen mode and disable fullscreen optimization.  And it is post process.  It will not capture in screenshot and may not work if you disabled post processing.

Edited by Taz1004

Thanks Taz, that's interesting. I'll play around some more. The "full screen" requirement is interesting as ALT+ENTER in VR (for me at least) just full screens the Oculus Window on my desktop, and I see no noticeable difference to the headset visuals.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 1 month later...

Can devs confirm if FXAA can work in VR or not? I too tried it, but all it did was creating a strange 'oil spill' effect on water. Very unpleasant bright hue/reflections. The lines stayed jaggy. 

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

Haven´t seen this topic.

Im asking the same, i can enable FXAA on 2D via NVCP but it looks i cant enable it for VR (or i simply dont know how), it simply dont work.

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

As I posted above, it does work for me.  I even posted through the lens shot so I donno what other proof I can provide.  It may just depend on the headset.  I have Vive Pro which directly works with SteamVR rather than WMR piggy backing on it so that may be the reason.