Change Settings without restarting game?

Adam

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to change settings without restarting the game? (I want the game to close, but I want to restart it myself in my own time).

The problem I have at the moment when testing settings is that I have to do the following:

1) Start DCS

2) Go into Options and change the graphic settings

3) Click on OK

4) DCS Closes

5) DCS Restarts Automatically

6) I have to manually close DCS again

7) I then go and delete fxo and metashaders2 directories

8) I Restart DCS and test the settings

9) Go back to step 2.

I would very much love to avoid steps 5 and 6 if possible as this just wastes time when I'm wanting to quickly evaluate what changes the settings have on performance.

Or alternatively, is there a setting I can change so that it deletes these folders automatically when restarting the game?

Thanks

Adam

Not all graphic settings require a restart, some do, like VSync.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Some settings require the whole gfx engine to be restarted, otherwise changing them in menu only doesn' t do anything. It's not really different from other DirectX games, so even without auto-restart you would have to do it manually anyway.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Some settings require the whole gfx engine to be restarted, otherwise changing them in menu only doesn' t do anything. It's not really different from other DirectX games, so even without auto-restart you would have to do it manually anyway.

I fully understand that. The problem with a restart (as opposed to just closing the app and not restarting) is that I want time to be able to delete the fxo and metashader2 directories before it restarts, otherwise I have to exit out a second time, then delete the directories and then restart the game again before testing the changes.

It's not the end of the world - I just thought I'd ask incase there was a simple workaround. Even an option to auto-delete those directories on a restart would be helpful.

I fully understand that. The problem with a restart (as opposed to just closing the app and not restarting) is that I want time to be able to delete the fxo and metashader2 directories before it restarts, otherwise I have to exit out a second time, then delete the directories and then restart the game again before testing the changes.

It's not the end of the world - I just thought I'd ask incase there was a simple workaround. Even an option to auto-delete those directories on a restart would be helpful.

Yes, it's very simple. Open Explorer and select those two folders. Alt-Tab back into DCS and do your changes DON'T click apply or whatever yet. Alt-Tab back out and Lshft-Delete them, and they are gone forever, Alt-Tab back into DCS and apply with the mandatory restart.

Or like I wrote in a previous post. Use Skatezilla's launcher, and when DCS restarts just kill it in the launcher, and then delete the files.

These are just mildly suggestions. I agree, there should be a way to not start up again, just close.

Cheers!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's very simple. Open Explorer and select those two folders. Alt-Tab back into DCS and do your changes DON'T click apply or whatever yet. Alt-Tab back out and Lshft-Delete them, and they are gone forever, Alt-Tab back into DCS and apply with the mandatory restart.

Or like I wrote in a previous post. Use Skatezilla's launcher, and when DCS restarts just kill it in the launcher, and then delete the files.

These are just mildly suggestions. I agree, there should be a way to not start up again, just close.

Cheers!

Thanks Maxsenna!

I wasn't sure when the folders were recreated, so knowing that this will do the job gives me a workaround for the time being. Muchly appreciated!

Why would you delete those folders after every setting change?

After an update i can understand although i have serious doubts that it does anything (i never saw or felt any difference by not deleting them and in most updates i always forget). If it is that important, ED could simply insert an automatic purge after an update, like Elite Dangerous does.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!