Solution: How to fix stuttering in the Syria map.

Hyundae

The map was nearly unplayable for me until I changed the terrain textures to "low" and reduced tree visibility to 50%. It looks much worse this way, but that's just about the only thing that can get my RAM usage to below 99% (I have 16 GB of DDR4, need to upgrade to 32 GB).

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

The team is looking at more optimisation for Syria,

the sweet spot for GPU Ram (VRAM) seems to be 6.8GB, the team are looking into reducing that.

thanks

@BIGNEWY

Could you expound on that. I'm running a 2080ti in VR, and pretty much the memory gets eaten 100% regardless of the map it uses 11gb VRAM. Regular Ram usage does vary somewhat. I've got 80gb, but I've never seen DCS take more than 32, which makes me think its a hard-coded limit. Also do you guys use memory compression techniques?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team

@BIGNEWY

Could you expound on that. I'm running a 2080ti in VR, and pretty much the memory gets eaten 100% regardless of the map it uses 11gb VRAM. Regular Ram usage does vary somewhat. I've got 80gb, but I've never seen DCS take more than 32, which makes me think its a hard-coded limit. Also do you guys use memory compression techniques?

Sorry I don't know the answer, my comment was made after reading a dev report, I am chasing up the optimisation work being done but I can not give a timeline currently.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sorry I don't know the answer, my comment was made after reading a dev report, I am chasing up the optimisation work being done but I can not give a timeline currently.

thanks

@BIGNEWY

If you are following up on that, I would love to know if the 32gig ram thing is a conveniently hardcoded limit. Or if performance could be improved with more RAM. I.e. if you guys are compressing stuff, that eats CPU/GPU cycles and if you didn't have to then it could help performance for the handful of people with more RAM.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1349223252_HighGraphicsSettings.thumb.png.daf4af5a67939ba8d4bf3778e64bc539.png

I have PG and Caucasus running at 4k with maxed settings, but I had to tweak it a bit to get Syria to run smooth at 4k. The optimization guide is still relevant as is the 4k guide. I started with max settings and then dialed them down a bit till Syria started running smooth. Ignore SSLR (i'm just experimenting with it), but I still get no stuttering with it turned on. I use Nvidia Vsync ON. I have a 1080Ti, and it all comes down to fitting the graphics "inside" the capability of the card. I tuned it down a tad more, and those jerky artifacts you get at the corners of the screen when you bank low over cities are gone. You can see how I used the approach in the guide. 927379273_HighSyriaSettings.thumb.png.0577536fdbc0d42038e39b37d9934e9f.png

• 2 months later...

Object density per square mile in the Syria map in Haifa and Beirut is higher than other maps.  As a result I turn down my settings proportionately and have no stuttering even at roof top fly-by over Haifa and Beirut...running an Nvidia 1080, 32ram, i7-7700K, nearly a 4 year old system.

The Syria map is my favorite, a really interesting theatre of operation and when it gets fully populated will be even better.

I put performance over quality and run smooth throughout the map.

I wonder if others are aware at how effective the autoexec.cfg file is with this entry:

no_device_hotplug = true

Edited by fitness88

11 hours ago, fitness88 said:

no_device_hotplug = true

I certainly am, but still question why it's so effective. I'm assuming that DCS is just looking for new devices but for it to have the impact that it has - it must be doing this numerous times per second. I kinda don't get why it can't drop to a once every 5 seconds or something to fix this up for everyone.

I have the problem of stuttering you make me saturate with the ram if I start with 25gb with 25gb no problem with the time I saturate when I fly on the map for me these all simply an optimization problem the map my spec 32gb ram  1080ti (and vram sam probleme  i'm saturate

🙁 this problem is still not resolved to this day.  Why   👎

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]:alien:My dailymotion channel:http://www.dailymotion.com/buldingm :pilotfly:

and youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/buldingm

Where is the autoexec.cfg file usually located? Just had a free moment and searched the DCS directory and only have autoexec.lua script files... Thanks!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

52 minutes ago, Justificus said:

Where is the autoexec.cfg file usually located? Just had a free moment and searched the DCS directory and only have autoexec.lua script files... Thanks!

• Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

You may have to create it using notepad++ if it doesn't already exist.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

25 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

• Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

You may have to create it using notepad++ if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks, I had looked there, too, but I don't even have a DCS folder within my Saved Games folder, just a "Missions" folder containing all my missions and nothing else. Guess I'll need to make one then. Thanks again!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

6 hours ago, Justificus said:

... I don't even have a DCS folder within my Saved Games folder, just a "Missions" folder containing all my missions and nothing else. Guess I'll need to make one then.

Strange, you should have more folders that, if using standalone Open Beta, the save path would be 

• Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

and the path for your custom joystick and keyboard assignments, etc. would be

• Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\[module]

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Just flew the Syria map for the first time (free flight, A10) and noticed almost 29GB of RAM *allocation* right away, which is very unusual as I never see more than around 14GB *allocation* on the other maps (Caucasus, PG).  There is also some hard stuttering, also unusual.  I figured it was just optimization issues and this thread confirms it.  I'll try some of the settings/fixes and see.  I'm running W10/Sapphire 5700XT/5600X/B550/32GB RAM/NVME SSD.

Edited by aleader

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

• 2 weeks later...
I solved my stuttering issues by getting 64GB ram
Lol... Yeah I also solved it by upgrading my old Haswell to Ryzen, GPU to RTX 3060 ti and RAM to 32Gb quietly without telling the wife hahaha.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

You need at least 32 GB of RAM for Syria map.  Also, you want to tweak your settings to get your VRAM usage low enough that you do not use any Shared GPU memory.  If your card less than 6 GB of VRAM you may not be able to get the VRAM usage low enough.  If so, disable MSAA and SSAA.  You may need to bounce DCS between missions to clear out Shared GPU memory that is not getting flushed after the mission.

Apologies, not at computer ATM.
My computer is seven years old. Sort of gave up on tuning/clocking things. 32 Gigs, can't seem to run'em at the specified speed (mainboard is a bitch). CPU is a 3960X 3.5@3.8 with double Nvidia Titans. 30" 2560by1400? display. Syria stuttered of course. Then I watched a YT by Robin Takolander where he did some changes to the DCS.exe and the updater.exe(?)
Ticked off two boxes admin and something fullscreen IIRC.
Of course I should post my settings here, but fairly mid settings, but I went from 28-32 to well over 50 in some instant action missions. GPU@100 and CPU around 30/40. So, look up he's YT and do the change if you haven't already. It's worth a try.
As a side note I also ventured into forcing SLI. Whoa! It actually works. Squeezed some more out of my old rig there.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The amount of VRAM being used depends on your display resolution, for fairly obvious reasons. While 6.8GB might be enough for 1080p or 1440p, it isn't for VR  - especially if you're using something like a Reverb G2.

Stuttering in maps like Syria happens when the amount of VRAM needed vastly exceeds what you have available. That's why Syria was unplayable for me on HIGH Terrain Textures on my old 2070 Super, but is buttery smooth on my current 6900XT.

Going from 16GB to 32GB of system RAM will certainly help your general performance in DCS, but what's critical in modern maps (The Channel and Syria) is VRAM.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I find that I must leave the Syria map after flying a Single User made Mission, otherwise my frame rates drop below 30.  The low framerates continue in the Splash page until I select another Map, such as Persia, Nevada.  My system then no longer has the issue and I can fly in any of the other Maps without issue for as long as I want and for as many Missions as I want.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Rocky49 said:

I find that I must leave the Syria map after flying a Single User made Mission, otherwise my frame rates drop below 30.  The low framerates continue in the Splash page until I select another Map, such as Persia, Nevada.  My system then no longer has the issue and I can fly in any of the other Maps without issue for as long as I want and for as many Missions as I want.

I'm not sure what your specs are, but Syria is limited by VRAM.  Get your VRAM usage down as low as you can and do not let your usage grow such that your card starts using Shared GPU Memory.  Things get choppy when the card starts copying things between dedicated and shared GPU memory, and DCS leaves the memory cached between loads as long as you don't change maps.    For example, I have 11GB of VRAM on my 1080TI.  I can play PG and Caucasus all day and my card never uses shared GPU memory.  On Syria, I have to set terrain textures = LOW and delete the carrier group for my card to stay out of shared GPU memory. 

22 minutes ago, glide said:

I'm not sure what your specs are, but Syria is limited by VRAM.  Get your VRAM usage down as low as you can and do not let your usage grow such that your card starts using Shared GPU Memory.  Things get choppy when the card starts copying things between dedicated and shared GPU memory, and DCS leaves the memory cached between loads as long as you don't change maps.    For example, I have 11GB of VRAM on my 1080TI.  I can play PG and Caucasus all day and my card never uses shared GPU memory.  On Syria, I have to set terrain textures = LOW and delete the carrier group for my card to stay out of shared GPU memory. 

My specs are in my signature  I prefer to keeps setting higher and just leave Syria map after each Mission  Haven't seen any posts about Optimizing being done recently on the Syria Map

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

I'm using a 1080, 32ram, i7-7700k, have graphic settings low in Syria with no stutter. However I would like to be able to turn up the graphics so looking at a new rig with a 3090 card [i9.10900kf, 64ram]. 

Is there a big performance difference between the 3080 and the 3090 [understand the memory difference].