Unable to land in mission 1

Very very frustrating. Have flown this mission twice now and am about to give up! Looking at the briefing I presume I have to land on the flat roof of the building? Really not clear at all. When i approach to try and land I get a mission failure message and i end up going through the roof and crashing the helicopter. At the moment I feel that this campaign is a waste of money. Please give me a clue to what I should be doing.

Very very frustrating. Have flown this mission twice now and am about to give up! Looking at the briefing I presume I have to land on the flat roof of the building? Really not clear at all. When i approach to try and land I get a mission failure message and i end up going through the roof and crashing the helicopter. At the moment I feel that this campaign is a waste of money. Please give me a clue to what I should be doing.

Don't give up :thumbup:

You are right, you have to land on the flat roof. Which is under normal conditions already a challenge.

The key is to do it very very slow.

I am not an expert in the Mi-8 but I activated something called "pre-heat" as well. In my understanding to prevent the turbine from picking up some ice. I may be wrong with that.

It is not a waste of money, it is just a challenge and you will be able to master it. :pilotfly:

Always happy landings ;)

Hi,

I played the 1st mission last night and also failed when landing on the roof at the 2nd attempt. Is not easy. Slow, precise inputs are important. However, I tried to land from the engineering station, so you at least have a clear view ahead (even if it's not realistic).

With the Mi-8, it is also important to fly a little foresight, because it is heavier than, for example, the Huey or the KA-50 and the inputs are somewhat delayed. I have had all the other Mi-8 campaigns so far. And I can assure you you haven't wasted your money.

Edited by kotor633

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Ok guys! So many words of support are great!

Nawarren, Sorry for the high difficulty on the first mission - with this I wanted to show the difficulty of the campaign in general. High altitude flight is a super difficult task. But before you lose hope, do not forget that this is just a game, turn on the simplified dynamics and go through this mission without any problems (just enjoy the views of the Caucasus). Thank!

Ok thanks for advice, I landed ok on the roof, I get that it's not meant to be easy, just that i think it needs to be made clearer what is expected. So any way after taking off I then returned to the base and landed and shut down, waited and nothing happened so i quit the mission. Now when i load the campaign again it takes me back to the first mission! WTF? It shows 1 mission flown with 50 mission success rate. This is meant to be enjoyable! I am just finding it very frustrating. What hoop do I have to jump through now to move on? Not impressed so far...........

Ok thanks for advice, I landed ok on the roof, I get that it's not meant to be easy, just that i think it needs to be made clearer what is expected. So any way after taking off I then returned to the base and landed and shut down, waited and nothing happened so i quit the mission. Now when i load the campaign again it takes me back to the first mission! WTF? It shows 1 mission flown with 50 mission success rate. This is meant to be enjoyable! I am just finding it very frustrating. What hoop do I have to jump through now to move on? Not impressed so far...........

Good! let's clarify some details.

- You need to take off and move along the route.

- You need to switch the frequency on the P863 radio stations in time to hear all the conversations and (very important) negotiations with the dispatcher.

The result of the mission is tied to: - landing in the mountains,

- landing at the airport !!! near the path marked with flags there is a ceremonial building and a group of journalists near the airport building.

When approaching the airfield, the dispatcher in the person of the squadron commander should contact you and ask to land near a group of people. It is near the path with red flags that your mission will be completed with a score of 100 percent.

I thinks you did not switch to an important frequency in time, and did not hear the request and clarification of the landing site.

Good! let's clarify some details.

- You need to take off and move along the route.

- You need to switch the frequency on the P863 radio stations in time to hear all the conversations and (very important) negotiations with the dispatcher.

The result of the mission is tied to: - landing in the mountains,

- landing at the airport !!! near the path marked with flags there is a ceremonial building and a group of journalists near the airport building.

When approaching the airfield, the dispatcher in the person of the squadron commander should contact you and ask to land near a group of people. It is near the path with red flags that your mission will be completed with a score of 100 percent.

I thinks you did not switch to an important frequency in time, and did not hear the request and clarification of the landing site.

Ok, will try that . Thanks for your help on this :)

Ok I give up, Just wasted another hour on this. Landed on roof flew back to base. Hovered over the crowds/people, landed in front of flags/people/moved around. No acknowledgement of completed mission!! I quit mission and guess what, it starts again from first mission.This is just a massive waste of my time and totally frustrating. How can I progress without having to keep repeating the same thing over and over? Without trying to be rude I have to say that this campaign seems like an exercise in frustration.

Mission 1: For the past hour I’ve been taxing back and forth in front of the red flags etc. Stopping at various spots and applying the brakes..I was confused with the messages whilst taxing Before I’ve even taken off! So I’m to fly to the mountain first then return and taxi to the crowd?

Mission 1: For the past hour I’ve been taxing back and forth in front of the red flags etc. Stopping at various spots and applying the brakes..I was confused with the messages whilst taxing Before I’ve even taken off! So I’m to fly to the mountain first then return and taxi to the crowd?

YES.

Fly to the mountain and then land close to the crowd.

(very close) :smilewink:

Always happy landings ;)

Back at the airfield is this collection of people with trellis. Land close to the lined up soldiers so that your passengers can walk between the honor formation. You have to get very close up to a few meters

Always happy landings ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think the briefing is clear and they also say where to land in the spoken text.

Especially the first landing zone is well documentated in the briefing and in the kneeboard. When you approach the airport, you also get the radio message to hover/land out of ground-effect. Therefore, I think the "critism" about "unclear what to do" is not legit. The difficulty is another thing, and I'm sure that it may be very hard to do an accurate landing on that roof depending on the input controls. With proper cyclic/collective/rudder, it's still challenging, but doable (took me 2 attempts to finish the mission).

It's for sure a lot clearer in this mission than in the first campaign (memory of a hero) where I often had no clue what to do due to "bad translation".

Anyway, I hope you managed to do it by now.

I also noticed that there are videos of the first 3 missions on YouTube so far. So if you're not sure what to do, watching the videos might be helpful (not just with this campaign).

Personally, I think the briefing is clear and they also say where to land in the spoken text.

Especially the first landing zone is well documentated in the briefing and in the kneeboard. When you approach the airport, you also get the radio message to hover/land out of ground-effect. Therefore, I think the "critism" about "unclear what to do" is not legit. The difficulty is another thing, and I'm sure that it may be very hard to do an accurate landing on that roof depending on the input controls. With proper cyclic/collective/rudder, it's still challenging, but doable (took me 2 attempts to finish the mission).

It's for sure a lot clearer in this mission than in the first campaign (memory of a hero) where I often had no clue what to do due to "bad translation".

Anyway, I hope you managed to do it by now.

I also noticed that there are videos of the first 3 missions on YouTube so far. So if you're not sure what to do, watching the videos might be helpful (not just with this campaign).

Thanks for your feedback. I can handle difficulty. I spent a long time landing, taxiing taking back off and re landing all around the crowd with no success. That is just frustrating. No skill involved in that whatsoever and just makes for a very frustrating and frankly annoying experience. As is landing on the roof and if the helicopter is slightly misaligned you have to take back off and try again, you get a mission failed message! That's just a waste of time and in my opinion annoying. Will try out those videos, thanks for your info.

Ok, I see what you mean. I had no issues there, but maybe I was just lucky? I landed really close to the flags (actually that close that I would have killed my rotor blades if the windsock would have had collision detection). I then got the message to shut down the engine and the mission success message.

Yes, the "mission failed" message also appeared to me in my first attempt. I anyway landed on the roof just to see if it still triggers something. I then noticed that my rear wheels were "within the building". So my guess was that I damaged the building in my first attempt which resulted in the mission failed. It's just a guess though.

When I had to redo the mission, I simply used time compression for the flight to Mt. Elbrus.

The 2nd mission will be a lot easier and should not lead into frustration.

Thanks for your feedback. I can handle difficulty. I spent a long time landing, taxiing taking back off and re landing all around the crowd with no success. That is just frustrating. No skill involved in that whatsoever and just makes for a very frustrating and frankly annoying experience. As is landing on the roof and if the helicopter is slightly misaligned you have to take back off and try again, you get a mission failed message! That's just a waste of time and in my opinion annoying. Will try out those videos, thanks for your info.

I'm sorry, in pursuit of an interesting game, I looked at the flight skills of some guys from the Russian DCS community, and evaluated my skills, and considered this mission a challenge, but not a very difficult challenge. In the next update, I will increase the landing area to the red carpet and remove the trigger on the mountain, which is responsible for damage to the helicopter and leads to the failure of the mission.