Syria map VERY poor framerate in VR

Gregkar

Hi! Got the new map last night and tried to do a small tour with 2 enemy aircrafts spawning towards the end. At first my pc froze during startup, i had to hard reset it, second try was better but the fps when i got close to the ground over big cities was like 5.

Towards the end of the tour when the two jets activated, my pc again froze.

Pc specs:

i7-8700k 5.0ghz

16gb ram 3200ghz

Dcs on ssd

Evga 1080ti sc2

HP Reverb VR

I use low graphics settings, custom nvidia panel settings, 45fps mode in reverb, custom shaders, and other mods for vr boost.

Any help?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Posted in discord, but will post here

can you tell me what per eye resolution you are using in steam vr

also what is your PD set at in dcs

If you have not already try PD 1.0 in DCS and use 100% per eye resolution, see what results you get.

If they are favourable then increase to find the right balance for performance.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi! Got the new map last night and tried to do a small tour with 2 enemy aircrafts spawning towards the end. At first my pc froze during startup, i had to hard reset it, second try was better but the fps when i got close to the ground over big cities was like 5.

Towards the end of the tour when the two jets activated, my pc again froze.

Pc specs:

i7-8700k 5.0ghz

16gb ram 3200ghz

Dcs on ssd

Evga 1080ti sc2

HP Reverb VR

I use low graphics settings, custom nvidia panel settings, 45fps mode in reverb, custom shaders, and other mods for vr boost.

Any help?

You should increase your RAM to 32GB.

Tried some things, including checking integrity files in steam, and lowering the terrain detail from high to low. It seems that this gave a big boost, it's not perfect now but at least it's okish-fine.

Do you think more ram could help push higher terrain resolution?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With running the terrain on high in 2D (textures on high, other settings mixed,) @ 2560x1440 my 11GB VRAM is 100% used up and i saw +22GB RAM used. This is only with one single airplane, doing a bit of sightseeing.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Tried some things, including checking integrity files in steam, and lowering the terrain detail from high to low. It seems that this gave a big boost, it's not perfect now but at least it's okish-fine.

Do you think more ram could help push higher terrain resolution?

I believe terrain resolution is related to VRAM. Not system RAM.

I recommended more RAM because your system spec is above recommended for VR except the RAM. 16GB is minimum spec for VR.

I believe terrain resolution is related to VRAM. Not system RAM.

I recommended more RAM because your system spec is above recommended for VR except the RAM. 16GB is minimum spec for VR.

Thanx i will get more RAM asap

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also got really poor framerate in VR on the syria map.

What's strange is that when I leave the map I still have a lot of stutter in the main menu and my graphic card is used at 100%.

I have to reboot the game to have a decent framerate.

Maybe it's a problem with the latest nvidia drivers ? I didn't try installing the previous version.

My config is :

2080ti

32GB ram @3200Mhz

DCS on NvME SSD

HTC Vive Pro 100% resolution

I'm actually getting good FPS in Syria with my rift s rarely dipping below 40. FPS in syria has been equal to or better than the fps I get in caucuses much of the time. Terrain textures at Medium and other textures set to high.

Ryzen 5 3600

5700XT

32 GB ram

You should increase your RAM to 32GB.

Yep, there is your bottleneck...

I already have 32GB and next month it's gonna be 64, you want performances? Don't neglect RAM...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

32GB is enough to be very comfortable, 64 seems like total overkill. That being said, 32GB cost around 150€... compare that to the price of a GPU that needs to be replaced every 2-3 years if you play in VR or high resolution. RAM and CPU normally stay for 5 years at least.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I can’t fly on Syria map either. Not enough fps. On every other map I have good 45 fps with my rift S.

My pc: 9700k, 32gb, 2080ti, everything on a sad...maybe with that brand new 3090 I’ll finally have enough power to run this game in VR :p

i just added another 16gb of RAM (32gb in total) and the difference is BIG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

Just got the syria map and im having VR frame rate issues as well. Works fine on persian gulf and caucases.

As stated in many other threads on this topic, if you're having performance problems in Syria but not in SoH and Caucasus, look at VRAM. Unless you have a 6800XT, 6900XT or 3090 try lowering the Terrain Textures to LOW and see if that makes a difference.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

5 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

As stated in many other threads on this topic, if you're having performance problems in Syria but not in SoH and Caucasus, look at VRAM. Unless you have a 6800XT, 6900XT or 3090 try lowering the Terrain Textures to LOW and see if that makes a difference.

This is 100% an issue. I’ve just moved from a 3080 to 3090fe and the Syria stutters are gone. 
Al

On 2/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Im on 3080 and I can't believe 3090 fixes that issue. That sucks. This machine wasn't cheap.

i had some video performance issues with my 2d system. i made only one easily reversible change to NVidia setting. it made a substantial difference in performance and no noticeable change to quality. i have a 1080. i was tooling around syria yesterday and my fps would occasionally dip to 55-60 but mostly was at 90-100

2021-02-11_7-27-53.jpg

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

That setting only affects other settings, it doesn't do anything by itself.  Trilinear Optimization will not do anything unless you have Anisotropic filtering turned on in DCS.  Also, if you have AF turned on you want Negative LOD set to CLAMP.  It is highly unlikely this gave you 40 fps more, but thanks for testing.   Also, the LOD bias doesn't do anything on the Pascal architecture cards.

Edited by glide

3 hours ago, glide said:

That setting only affects other settings, it doesn't do anything by itself.  Trilinear Optimization will not do anything unless you have Anisotropic filtering turned on in DCS.  Also, if you have AF turned on you want Negative LOD set to CLAMP.  It is highly unlikely this gave you 40 fps more, but thanks for testing.   Also, the LOD bias doesn't do anything on the Pascal architecture cards.

hi @glide i stated my current lowest FPS is 55-60. my post was how i eliminated most of the stuttering. not gaining 40 FPS. it was an easily reverted setting. for me i figured it was an easy fix to try and it did improve my performance. Neg LOD within the Nvidia driver has not been included since 368.22. how does one do this in current drivers? do you have other suggestions?

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

3 hours ago, silverdevil said:

hi @glide i stated my current lowest FPS is 55-60. my post was how i eliminated most of the stuttering. not gaining 40 FPS. it was an easily reverted setting. for me i figured it was an easy fix to try and it did improve my performance. Neg LOD within the Nvidia driver has not been included since 368.22. how does one do this in current drivers? do you have other suggestions?

I am not sure how LOD is handled on the newer cards, but I will see if I can figure it out.  For me, on Syria I set Terrain Textures Low, and turn off all AA and AF (since I run at 4k), and I turn off terrain shadows since I have to use the low terrain textures.  This is enough for me to get smooth rates on Syria.  You get another big boost from setting Textures to Low or Medium.   I don't recall anything else having an impact on the amount of VRAM used.

Edited by glide

so in short its not so much the extra GPU processing power, its mostly becuase the 3090 has so much extra vram, and VR is much more vram hungry especially for the higher detail syria map?

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD