Helicopters won't observe any waypoint commands

Sandman1330

I've been trying to work on this problem all morning.

I've got an Apache that I am trying to set to "search then engage in zone", with a huge array of enemy armour within that zone. Try as I might, nothing I do will make him engage. I've removed CAS as an option, I've ensured he has AT weapons (hellfires), I have an orbit set at the waypoint where he is to search and engage. All he ends up doing is a fancy airshow for the Syrian army, lots of fancy turns and twists without ever firing a shot, until he himself gets shot down.

So, I figured - maybe he's reacting to enemy fire. So I set "react to threat" to "no reaction" and "immortal" to on. Now he should be fine, right? Nope. He still does his fancy airshow, and still gets shot down - despite immortal being on. I've also tried invisible, to the same effect.

I've also tried "attack group", and he still does nothing. I'm beginning to believe none of the waypoint options that I've set are being adhered to at all. The same thing happens with the Cobra, though the KA50 did inconsistently fire once or twice, and executed "attack group" properly. I have a SU25 set up on the other side with the same settings (using search and engage in zone) and it is working.

Known bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Screenshot of the settings attached:

857805191_apachebug.thumb.jpg.2c1f14d1932ee30d59d47920906991d1.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I know well this "fancy airshow". On my side it's because air defense with enough range is present so the heli doesn't want to push to missile engagement range.

As soon as this or these air defense vehicles are destroyed, the heli will engage.

Low range air defense (AAA or Strella IR sam) are not an issue. Only air defense with enough range to be dangerous for Apache+Hellfires.

It is all in the task queue and is mostly the Orbit tasks fault. Move it to the bottom of the queue.

The way tasks work is that some of them are done instantly, some can be run in the background, and others will prevent new tasks from being started. The behavior is defined in the category a task resides in.

Perform Task: Must be completed before moving on to next task.

Enroute Task: Added as a background task.

Commands/Options: Done instantly, basically don't take any time.

So you have the orbit task set first, thus the AI will orbit. If you had a stop condition on the orbit task then whenever that condition was met the AI will assign the search and engage and the options you have setup. What will probably happen is that it will just start engaging stuff immediately because the targets should already be detected once the task is assigned. Once it runs out of ammo it'd actually enter the orbit.

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I had issues for awhile with helicopters also. This is what I didafter getting very helpful advice here:

Under the group trigger tab (not a waypoint action) I put what I want, Attack Group, Search Zone etc. I find it is best not to give the AI much leeway so I almost always put Attack Group unless it is a follow on strike.

Then under waypoint 0, put your ROE, RTB etc. Also, use switch waypoint under perform command at every waypoint to keep the AI on course all the way to the waypoint prior to engagement.

Then, create a trigger zone that your AI will pass through on its route and about 8 miles from target. Use the trigger actions to trigger Push Task and select Attack Group, etc.

This gives the AI very strict rules but works well, especially if you are doing a phased engagement with lead heli groups taking out AA and then following groups attacking armor or doing a zone search. They still get a mind of their own sometimes.

Thanks for the input all, I’ll give it a try!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

OK guys, working now, thx. I think it was the orbit command being on top.

The other issue is the SA6s in the area. They are far enough back, and I've placed him in terrain where any halfway competent real Apache driver could use terrain to stay masked from the SA6s while still striking the tanks, but the AI insists on popping to a 300ft hover to fire his hellfires, so he never really gets a shot off.

The point of this Apache (and the SU25 on the other side) is to create a "skirmish" feel, where each side isn't ready to move forward yet but they have their armed recce out front probing the enemy positions, so the intent is met. I don't want him doing any real damage anyway, but I did want him to shoot if he gets the opportunity. Now if the player takes out the SA6s he should start shooting, so intent met.

Thanks for the help folks!