Ability to bind Rudder Left and Rudder Right to unique Axis

Whozdär

Right now I have ability to bind one axis for rudder.

In my case as a sim racer and flight sim enthusiast, I use my racing pedals as rudder through some hack of assigning both axis to rudder and using curves to make one only act to the left and the other act to the right.

that's far from optimal as I can't be smooth with it and tune the curve nicely. I always tilt the viper during taxiing unless I'm crawling super slow to make sure I don't overturn.

I would love ability to bind Rudder Left to a certain axis and Rudder Right to another axis.

I feel if DCS were to allow this and communicated about DCS working well with racing pedals, it would allow a lot of sim racers to try out DCS.

• Like 1

if you bind one pedal for left and one pedal for right which one wins when you press both?

that was the problem I had with using car sim pedals.

my pedals could be linked into one axis via software that came with them (thrustmaster)

but a little pressure on one completely overruled all the pressure on the other.

simply resting your feet on the pedals caused input issues.

i did learn to fly the huey like that but getting a set of good linked axis pedals made it so much easier to fly.

i recommend skipping the car pedals altogether.

in theory it seems a good idea but in practise it is more hassle than its worth.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Well your case would not be affected by the feature I'm suggesting.

I don't mean to replace the current "RUDDER" axis assignement.

I only suggest adding "RUDDER LEFT" and "RUDDER RIGHT" optional bindings in axis menus.

Player can then choose if they have combined pedals -> they bind to RUDDER and if they have separate axis pedals -> RUDDER LEFT and RUDDER RIGHT

My racing pedals aren't combined, that is the issue here.

if you go from left pedal to right pedal you will not get a smooth curve. you will get left and right input spikes depending on which pedal is currently moving.

it does not matter if they are two axis or one. it matters how the conflict between two inputs is handled.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Sorry, but you simply shift the problem from outside of DCS into it. If you have RUDDER LEFT and RUDDER RIGHT, what value win to set the single rudder on your plane if both half-axis are loaded? Best solution can be to calculate the mean of -LEFT and +RIGHT which allows a smooth handover from one pedal to the other. You'll get a centered rudder if both pedals are fully pressed.

This calculation could be done outside of DCS with a suitable driver so a single RUDDER channel is still suitable. But I suspect most software coming with the input devices won't cover this case so the split inside of DCS may be the real thing.

hehe you guys are making it sound more complicated that it is, if you were to press rudder left at 100% and have a heavy foot and by mistake give some rudder right at 10% then it would result in 90% rudder left.

No spikes to be worried about, in fact I have spikes right now with the current hack of assigning two axis to one unique "rudder" binding and giving curves to both.

It is a quality of life feature that would make it easier to use DCS with a wider range of hardware.

Edited by Whozdär

In sim shooters with vehicles I map my rudder pedals to “wheel left” and “wheel right” it works great! :thumbup:

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Tuuvas said:

Bumping as I think this is a fantastic idea, especially for playstation gamepad controllers which are forced to have L2 and R2 as separate axis bindings (Dualshock 4 and Dualsense controllers)

It would also help for those that have lower quality rudder pedals, or no rudder pedals at all.

• Like 1